Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2007, 08:45 PM   #301
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,344
Day 14: A Timeout In A Place Forgotten....

San Borja was a surprise. A very pleasant one at that. The amount of work that has gone into the restoration of the mission and the grounds is staggering. And it was done by a workforce of eight. Si, solamente ocho.

As BigDog and I pulled up, we were greeted by the dog with one blue eye.

He was quite well behaved, and I broke out the cookies to give him a reward. He dutifully stayed with the bikes (how could he have known?) while we were received by Genero - our 16 year old guide. He was an extraordinarily friendly fella, and had a pretty good command of English - from just talking with tourists. Impressive.

He took us to the mision and we climbed right to the top fisrt thing. A tip: Moto boots aren't the best stairclimbing footgear.

Genero's father and two brothers were laying a course of new stone on the top of the mission - that was just cut from the mountain above. The pointing on the old stone had long since given up, and the upper course of stone had long since toppled to the ground.

Their masonary skills were impressive. Nothing more than stone hammers and strong backs.

The main hall was immaculate.

Genero was going to give us as much as we wanted, and we wanted to see it all. He was proud of the work done here, and he should be. I was quite impressed. Genero's family is of indio decent, and he's proud of that fact also.

[more later]

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #302
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Kennedy
Seems like I have seen these photos before .... just can't quite place it ...... hmmmm.

Hair of the dog....
Old 03-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #303
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
How's the Google Earth (or other imaging) resolution down in that area? Is that any use as a preliminary scouting tool?
Dunno Nate - I need to check it out. It did look pretty much like there was no way through - but the hurricane may have done that.

That area got beaten up pretty badly.

Hair of the dog....
Old 03-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #304
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:
Seems like I have seen these photos before .... just can't quite place it ...... hmmmm.
Don't listen to him Gaspipe. Keep writing, I'm still enjoying the story. When do you finally find Gypsyrider?
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:52 PM   #305
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,630
Quote:
I longed for my doubles and drysuit...
I think we need to get together Gaspipe for a ride one day. Between riding and racing MC's, racing cars, and now i see you also enjoy looking at things through a mask under the sea. looks like we could bury a beer or two discussing the shared interests.

A very nice ride report guys, enjoyed the story and pics.

So compare and contrast the XR to the KTM down there, what'da'ya think?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:23 AM   #306
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16
Don't listen to him Gaspipe. Keep writing, I'm still enjoying the story. When do you finally find Gypsyrider?
lighten up Francis ... a bit of a joke there .. the other guy went to his smugmug and took his pictures and scooped him and....

oh forget it ... everyone is too serious on ADVrider these days.

IBA#11791
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:54 AM   #307
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
lighten up Francis ... a bit of a joke there .. the other guy went to his smugmug and took his pictures and scooped him and....

Not to worry. More later on.

Hair of the dog....
Old 03-16-2007, 09:03 AM   #308
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
Not to worry. More later on.

See if you could come up with some "original" pictures would ya
Your Buddy
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #309
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
See if you could come up with some "original" pictures would ya
Your Buddy

Hair of the dog....
Old 03-16-2007, 07:42 PM   #310
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

You know you're getting close to the border (or Cabo) when you start seeing the Private Property signs.

I'll finish this up this ride report over the weekend. I have to wire a GPS onto my Husky tonight for a super secret mapping project thingy.

Hair of the dog....
Old 03-17-2007, 05:21 PM   #311
RV8ER
In Minnequerque

Oddometer: 6
How does the story end?

Where'd ya go GP? Hope this sign was wrong..

Name:  gaspipe.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  44.8 KB
RV8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #312
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8ER
Where'd ya go GP? Hope this sign was wrong..
Was gettin' dragged out of the woods today on a busted down Husky.

Hair of the dog....
Old 03-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #313
Anthony
Hurry up, Stephie!

Oddometer: 300
Gaspipe-

I like your trip report better than mine...

I think Stephie and I need to trade the 950s in on some 640s (or the new 690A at some point) or those 610s or something. The 950 is great for the ride down to Baja and pavement and more substantial dirt routes, but always a factor when deciding whether to take a dirt route or not for fear of it being too technical. I was really envying your all dirt mindset...

Next time, we'll stop and chat!

Anthony
Old 03-17-2007, 11:37 PM   #314
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:

I got it, just continuing the joke a bit more, and giving props to Gaspipe and BigDog for writing. Its all good.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:03 AM   #315
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Day 14: San Borja...

Genero, our guide, took us in to some of the smaller rooms used to house the padre and cook for the masses.

We wandered outside to see the cemetary, where our guide's relatives have been buried.

And then toured the gardens....full of olive trees, date palms, and fields of stuff they still cultivate today.

The spring that made all this possible. It runs year round, sulphury warm water at about 90 degrees, percolates from the sand here. Long ago, a well andn cisturn reservoirs were built. The water is used for drinking and the excess for irrigation for the fields.

We split a pack of cookies with Genero, and offered him some pesos for the restoration efforts of he and his family. It was truly inspirational to see how hard they worked to keep this special place in satisfactory condition.

But it's time for us to leave - we're still looking for a missing rider, and have had no updates or clues for a couple days, and I'm a bit edgy about it.

We left San Borja, and made our way west towards Rosarito. The wind was blowing ferociously after we left the sheltered area of San Borja. nestled in between the mesas. It never did warm up much today, and I knew it was going to be a cold night in Baja.

Since we'd parked in Calexico, I figured Gypsyrider would cut off at Chapala and head north up through Puertecitos. We decided to make a run for it to try to make Alfonsina's and see if we could find Gypsyrider up there - gas and beds.

The wind was almost laughably wicked waswe buzzed north of Mexico 1 up to Chapala. The sun was setting as we reached the Calamajue wash, so we decided to take the faster route up through Chapala.

As we blasted down this road, the temperature was only about 40F, and the wind *always* blows at Chapala. Even I was getting cold - something of a rarity.

I decided to stop in and see Coco quickly - resolved long ago to never pass by without a salutation and a beer. He was waiting out front to flag me down, and as soon as he recognized me, he had a note from Gypsyrider! We were six hours behind him - he was enroute to San Felipe and then to the border. He'd gotten his tire and was OK! Good news, but we were too far behind his to catch him unless we rode until midnight, or later.

Some unsavory types from Punta Calamajue were hanging around the place, and I could tell Coco wanted us to hang around a bit. There was a couple camping at Coco's in a tent, and they told me that Alfonsina's was full - no rooms available - as it was Friday night. Friday? How could that be? Coco offered us a camper to sleep in for the night, and without a hesitation, we thanked him for his hospitality. It would drop to freezing that night, and the thoughts of camping in an arroyo with a 45F sleeping bag in the wind didn't sound so good.

The sun was gone, and the inky black darkness of a moonless evening enveloped us. Coco cooked us some beef on the grill - it was flank steak, but arrachera style. That with a few warm tortillas and a cold beer hit the spot. We'd not eaten since 0630 that morning - over 12 hours ago. We chatted about all sorts of local politics occuring in Calamajue these days, and Coco grabbed a sixpack of Pacificos, tossed them to me, and he went to bed.

BigDog settled into our accomodations....

And I stayed up for another couple hours, reviewing maps and making mental notes about the trip. I was very relieved to know Gypsrider was OK and making his way to the border unscathed. I couldn't finish all the beer, and I turned out my LED light. I fell asleep listening to the yelping of coyotes, singing a desert lullaby....

Tale of the tape for Day 14 - about 220 miles and dawn to dusk in the saddle.

[more later]

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 03-18-2007 at 10:12 AM