Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #106
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,342
Jonz to the rescue. Excellent pics of La Gringa. I'm soo0OO0oo glad you got a few pics of that place. I'd stripped all the extraneous gear off the LC4e so I'd get a good rip going, and I'd inadvertantly left my camera behind. You saved the day

BigDog retired rather early, and Jonz and I went to sit at Victoria's and have a beer or three. We split a quesadilla for dinner (cheap bastages) as Gypsyrider came to life again and mused with us for a while about the day's activities. Jonz and I were both still somewhat satiated from our late lunch of pelagic creatures wrapped in a tortilla, so a few Pacificos were the main caloric intake of the evening (we really ARE cheap bastages). We both wondered as to whether Jasmine would make an appearance - a situation that would have Las Vegas Mike on the edge of his seat Sorry buddy, nothing more than horse riding pics. We tried.

After chatting a while with an interesting chap flying a twin engine Cessna down here to regroup an errant driver with a buggy tour group, we gave up and hit the sack. Reasonably clean sheets, a shower, a full belly, and a few beers made the evening quite the show of affluence for the Pandilla.

Many miles to go tomorrow.....

Here's la mapa de la dia tres....

Day 4 tomorrow.

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 03-05-2007 at 08:34 PM
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #107
motoxusa
Biker Dude

Oddometer: 254
Keep it coming. I sure wish that I was there with you with you guys enjoying the wonders of Baja. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us less fortunate slobs.
2004 DRZ400S
motoxusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:40 PM   #108
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
It was many years ago, but I thought I remembered a route heading southwest at the intersection of Mex 1 and the Calamajue Wash road (old El Crucero, 16.8m south of the good road from Coco's & 13.4m north of the Bay of LA turn). There are two El Cruceros shown on page 20 of my almanac. I’m a little foggy but I seem to remember the road curved around more then most and had small dips and elevation changes (10’-30’). The surface was firm sand with larger smooth rocks which you rode on. Unique and very fun riding. After a short while the route either intersected with or became a fairly straight soft sand road full of whoops before hitting the Bay of LA paved road leaving a 30 mile pavement ride into town. I don’t think we rode Mex 1 at all after comming off the Calamajue wash road and never saw the Mex 1-Bay of LA intersection. Google Earth does show a path of sorts north of the Bay of LA road but it looks slow and hard to follow. I would think late in the day with the highway right beside me my mine would be on beer! In the Sat photo Mex 1 is on the left, the Calamajue Wash road is in the top center and the road I am thinking of leaves the intersection paralleling Mex 1. I hope I have this right and the info is useful.

Name:  Mex1.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  116.4 KB

mcnut screwed with this post 03-05-2007 at 09:13 PM
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 PM   #109
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,138
To get in the Baja writing mood

I went out tonight and had "pelagic creatures wrapped in a tortilla" for dinner. Most excellent.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:59 PM   #110
Papa Dulce
Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer: 190
Hey Jonz,
Great report and ride. Thanks for sharing it. Just recognized your picture. We met a few years ago at Margiritas hotel just up the road from Batopillas. It was after the HU meeting in Creel in '04 I think. We were the folks from Louisiana. Hope to see you again down the trail somewhere.
Papa

'01 R1150GS The Big Bitch
'03 XR650R El Gallo Rojo
'71 R75/5 Old Gentleman
'03 Tiger (Mama Dulce's)
'99 DR 350 (Mama's too)
Papa Dulce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #111
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Dulce
Hey Jonz,
Great report and ride. Thanks for sharing it. Just recognized your picture. We met a few years ago at Margiritas hotel just up the road from Batopillas. It was after the HU meeting in Creel in '04 I think. We were the folks from Louisiana. Hope to see you again down the trail somewhere.
Papa
Howdy Papa Dulce,
Good hearing from you. You guys (and gals) finished the ride MaxVert and I didn't. It's been haunting me ever since. I need to go back and do it. Last I heard, Max is wandering around South or Central America. Poor me. I have to be satisfied with Baja. Let me know if you're headed out this way again.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:52 AM   #112
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Day 4: To Baja Sur.......

Dawn came right on time, and we were ready for it.

The Wide Open Baja guys were still sleeping while Jonz, BigDog and I had coffee and a quick breakfast. We packed up and were on the trail relatively early that morning since BigDog and I topped off on fuel the night before.

We decided to head south on the regular road past Playa San Rafael - the timing was wrong for an expedition down to San Francisquito this early in the day. As the road cut through the cactus forests in Valle las Flores just south of BoLA, there were a couple whoops and vados that I didn't recall from last year - right near Pastrana's 'car-beque' that could bust your tail if you're not careful.

We stopped out on LLano de la Laguna [dry lake] to (perhaps in order of importance) goof off & have some 'driving' mints, and also to fix Jonz's steering damper post which had decided that we'd gotten up too early today.

The damper post repaired, we took off to Playa San Rafael.

And crossed the saguaro studded Valle San Rafael.....

We climbed the 500+ meter high Portezuelo grade enroute to El Progreso.

The military checkpoint was closed, and we took the road at the T intersection. I can't stand the El Arco road, so we turned off south a bit past the windmill towards Rancho Miraflores.

We climbed the next grade and crossed into la Valle de los Cirios - a vast, place empty of humans, but thick with giant seguaros.

When we stopped at the Miraflores crossroads, we decided to visit Mision Santa Gertrudis. I've been there before, but the rest of the group hadn't. It's a beautiful ride to see a very remote mission that has been completely renovated in recent years.

I'd thought about riding a singletrack route down to San Ignacio, but a group of Canadians on KTM RFS bikes told me the route was impassible because of hurricane washout damage.

At this crossroads, were just a few miles from the border of Baja Sur....

[more later - work to do]

Hair of the dog....
Old 03-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #113
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Well done

Bruce, you've garnered more than your share of "you bastard, I hate you" quotes in the past I, for one, just have to say that what awes me nearly as much as the riding is that you've managed and planned to put yourself in a position to be able to do it (financially and time wise) in the first place.

Maybe you should lay off the trip reports, and write a "How to plan your riding retirement for Dummies" book.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:57 AM   #114
Teeds
Don Quixote

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Bruce, you've garnered more than your share of "you bastard, I hate you" quotes in the past I, for one, just have to say that what awes me nearly as much as the riding is that you've managed and planned to put yourself in a position to be able to do it (financially and time wise) in the first place.

Maybe you should lay off the trip reports, and write a "How to plan your riding retirement for Dummies" book.

So true ... Although I'm not all that certain we could get Bruce to "work" on a book ...
we are NOT human beings having a spiritual experience, rather we ARE spiritual BEINGS having a human experience - johnjen
Teeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:12 AM   #115
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule

Ditto.... and this truly sucks. Excellent pics btw!
Old 03-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #116
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Day 4: Santa Gertrudis.......

The road out to the Mission has taken a beating from last Fall's hurricane. The road is still fun, but you need to watch out, as there are sections that are absolutely gone. But some sections remain sandy, smooth, fast 'n fun.

With a year round supply of water, it's pretty obvious why the Spanish established a mission here. Ancestors of the date palms and olive groves planted here continue to flourish and grow in an area surrounded by fantastic scenery. It's a true oasis.

The mission is as it was, with just a few families living here to maintain the mission and squeak out a very modest living. Despite that, they are happy and friendly. Sadly, there are no children left in the tiny town, the school now empty.

The interior of the mission is impeccably maintained. I always sign the books, and also make a donation to the upkeep of this unique part of Mexico's history.

The beer can collection hidden away in one of the back rooms was of particular personal interest to ol' gaspipe. It reminded me that I was getting thirsty and the shadows were growing long.

Time to get moving once again, and we cross the spring and head back out to the Miraflores crossroads.

"Bienvenidos a Baja California Sur...."

[more later]

Hair of the dog....
Old 03-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #117
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
SUCK!

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #118
cuneesity
Ferendo

Oddometer: 4,461

GP: Where you go mang? It was just getting good.....what is it like 8pm your time? Let's get busy!

Old 03-06-2007, 05:03 PM   #119
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

We ripped back out to Miraflores, and south away from El Arco to the tiny ejido of Guillermo Prieta. This is a nice sand road rip - but beware! The buggy folks have discovered this road and it's not uncommon now to have prerunners and sand buggies tearing down this road - and they take up the whole thing.

Nevertheless, it's hard not to go 70mph down this track. Jonz likes to go a bit faster than that in spots If you try to go 40, the road is hard to ride - the washboard and sand just suck you in. At 60, you plane out on top of the washboard and the ride gets soooOOoo smooth.

Before long, we congregate in Guillermo Prieta...where BigDog spots a Chupacabra or some other menacing creature preparing for attack.

The 15 miles of hell road to MX1 is thankfully paralleled by a wonderful sand road, and we all race to the highway, Vizcaino, and the promise of a tank of fuel.

Fueled up, we decide to take the pavement to San Ignacio. I know of a few side excursions on some pretty technical stuff, but we all decided to get to Rice and Beans for something to eat, and tackle the somewhat unsavory 25 miles or so of asphalt.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I reached Ricardo's place - there were wall to wall RV's clogging the parking lot. We went in and had a good meal, but it was pretty obvious we weren't staying there that night. A few moments later, Ricardo came by and confirmed that fact, apologized for no rooms, and then asked about our trip so far.

Right before I left for Baja, I was chatting with Carl Fischer on the phone about his upcoming trip to Copper Canyon. It was cool to see his pic up on the wall at Rice and Beans. I hope his trip to Copper Canyon went well.

Our fan club cutie bid us farewell as we donned our gear and headed out - not sure of where we'd go this evening.

We pulled out and went towards the town square, penetrating the cool air as we traversed the pond and date palm groves....

I love it here. San Ignacio is one of my favorite places in Baja.

[more tonight - stuff to do ]

Hair of the dog....
Old 03-06-2007, 05:11 PM   #120
cuneesity
Ferendo

Oddometer: 4,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
[more tonight - stuff to do ]
Thanks GP ...At least I got one last fix at work before I head home!