User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2007, 06:12 AM   #1
vstrom OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Europe - Balkan Tour '06

Everything started in late 2005. The idea to visit Croatia and other countries on the Balkan peninsula in early summer 2006 finally come true beginning of June 2006.

Day 1.

I was sitting in front of my PC waiting for first riders to come. Gathering point was a small hotel in a small residential village above Frankfurt in Germany. The first to come was Norvegians: Irene and Trond. I've heard the well known VStrom sound while they were approaching my house at around 16 hours on June 2nd 2006. Much later arrived friends from England (Simon and Robert), and Katherine (from USA) riding Simon's second bike. The latest for that day was my dear friend Zeljko, Croatian living in Muenster in Germany.

Katherine

Parking bikes behind the hotel:

Finally, Zeljko arrived. Me standing.

Nice sunset.

From left to right: Katherine (USA), Robert (England), me (Croatia), Trond & Irene (Norway), Zeljko (Croatia), Simon (England).

Back to the hotel, small chat, few drinks and adventure will officially start.

vstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 06:46 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,316
Balkan tours are always gorgeous!!

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
vstrom OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 2.

Everybody is excited. For most of them, especially for Kath, today starts a real adventure. She was never in Europe, while the rest except Zeljko and me have never been more south than Austria, and they have only heard terrible stories about Slovenia, Croatia, Monte Negro, Serbia, Albania and Macedonia (FYROM). What they know was that this was a war region with lot of ethnics violations. Some of them have doubts will everything go well after all...

On Saturday 3rd, we started early. The plan was to ride from Frankfurt/Germany to Kranjska Gora in Slovenia, using highways through Germany and local roads from Austrian border. Tough plan for the day. And the weather made it even tougher.

At cca. 7 in the morning, we were about to start.

First break, an hour later. For some of the riders not used to German highway speeds, it was a bit terrifying experience.

Second break, fuelling. We were attracting even the old ladies. Here we have met our next rider, Oded from Israel who works in Germnay (Dresden).

Third and the last break in Germany. A cup of coffee was 5 E. Remember this price...

Just before Austrian border. We want to avoid highways because they cost money. The tiny local roads to reach the first faster local roads were really fantastic. But we have to do the triple checks, consult our maps and recheck the GPS routes.

Rain, cold. Crazy weather for June. We met our next fellow rider, my dear friend Jordi from Spain/Catalonia on his brand new GS12000 ADV. Later we had a heavy winter thunderstorm at the Obertauern pass at 1800 m altitude. We were lucky nobody fell. There was snow on the road...

My Slovenian friend Glazar was waiting for us on Slovenian border and lead us to the hotel and dinner. He arranged everything for us earlier. From left to right: Trond, Irene, Jordi (Catalonia/Spain), me, Zeljko, Simon, Kath, Oded (Israel), Robert.

My friend Glazar showing us the route for the next day.

We were hungry and thirsty...

Old 03-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #4
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,048
Enjoying the report so far! Keep it coming...
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,072
Amazingly bad taste to bring a GS to what was obviously a VStrom ride.
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:22 AM   #6
vstrom OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ
Amazingly bad taste to bring a GS to what was obviously a VStrom ride.
Friendship was stronger
Old 03-04-2007, 11:08 AM   #7
vstrom OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3 - Slovenian ride

What a beautiful morning...

Our Slovenian friends have organized a breakfast for us in the village centre . Before we went there, some have oil the chain, some check the oil in the engine Breakfast was delicious.

We arranged with the hotel to deposit our cases to enjoy the ride. First we stop for refuelling, teasing Jordi all the time

First stop was at the worlds biggest ski jump - Planica:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planica
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4c4DhVVAwU

Then we entered Italy, riding in the beautiful nature:

Above us was serious mountains. I climbed one of theese few years ago:

Then we were about to enter Slovenia once again, but made a stop just before the border to see the old bunker from the 1st world war. Many thousands died there once...

There's more for this day...
Old 03-04-2007, 11:25 AM   #8
vstrom OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3 continuing...

Entered Slovenia again. Few stops on the way to nice pass Vrsic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vrsic).

One of the Slovenian riders that was with us was policeman off the duty. He is riding police bike when on duty. If we were riding like you might see in the following video clip alone and were caught by the police, we would end up in jail. Since our friend was in front of us, some of us followed. Crazy guys was in front of me, else they would have great video clip while riding faster/crazy? Anyway, it was a bit of fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA0FwbB6bSg

Then we went back to Kranjska Gora to get our cases and continued our ride towards Croatia:

Faster ride made Oded tired

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Bled

After that we visited lake Bohinj (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Bohinj), where we made larger lunch brake. Some of our riders had to have regular meals

Next fueling in Slovenia (was a great spirited ride) and Yosh treatment to one Slovenian bike. I'm famous for this in this part of the world ;)

Last stop in Slovenia - Kostanjevica na Krki. Our last coffee with our dear Slovenian hosts:

Fun 4 wheel machine with BMW boxer engine:

Thank you, my dear friends!

Day is not yet over. Still a lot more to do...
Old 03-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #9
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,048
What a beautiful country...

Enjoying a ride with good friends is one of the great pleasures of life. Enjoying good meals is another. Looks like you're getting plenty of both on this trip.
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
vstrom OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 3, finale

Croatia, here we come. Our first stop was popular bikers meeting point on the Zagreb suburban area. My friends from Zagreb organized a welcomed party for us:

It was the first year of new 1200 ADV, so the bike got much attention wherever we've been:

Our dear hosts for tonight - Tomislav & Ljiljana (and others, of course):

After 2-3 hours, because it was already late and day was tough, we started our final ride towards little village in the area called Hrvatsko Zagorje. It was raining, the final road was unpaved, some of the riders was about to sleep in the barn. Shock . The place:

Some of them asked themselves, did they made a smart decision to go on a Balkan tour with me...

Simon and Kath opened their tents, our hosts were a bit confused. They didn't know what they did wrong... I was a bit sorry for them since I knew how much effort they did. We were offered some food again, and after an hour of chatting we went to bed...

While other were a bit depressed, Robert was in his best element. After a hard day, he managed to dance with the local lady. It was after midnight ;)

Old 03-10-2007, 12:28 AM   #11
vstrom OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 4.

The next day. Too much alcohol last night:

But, it was a good sleep after all. Fresh air, silent night after a long day ride:

Kath was worried the night before, but the good rest was all she needed:

Our dear hosts did a great breakfast:

New riders in our group, Croatian living in Graz (Austria) Davorin (right) and his 15 year old daughter Kasandra as a pillion on Yamaha FJ1200.

The day before was too much for Oded, so he continued sleeping :)

After that, we did a small ride (nothing big planned for the day). Kath and Robert at the birth place of one of the greatest politicians of the 20th century, JB Tito:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tito

And the, the highlight of the whole journey, visit to the small school in passive part of Croatia, where all children sit in the same classroom (1-8th grade). Our visit made this kids very, very happy.

They were so sweet to sing a song for people coming from all sides of the world into their small village, and prepared a lot of delicious food for us:

Simon brough a lot of nice gifts and the moment when he was distributing them to kids was really sweet:

After 3 hours of nice time spent in school, we had to continue our small ride and say goodbye to kids:

Finally, we arrived back to our base ;)

Our dear hosts have organized a party for us... I can't thank them enough:

The night was great. Quite different from the night before:

Thank you my dear friends:

Old 03-10-2007, 05:26 AM   #12
vstrom OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 5.

It started early, at 00:00 Party was going on and on. It was really great, and all very happy. Very positive atmosphere that night:

There was a funny game going on, requesting new "victims". In order to finish the game, one had to drink all the vine from the special pot with a lot of holes. Since it was not easy, one had to try several times, taking too much alcohol at the end ;)

Getting into the bed was easy:

but getting out not quite:

Again breakfast prepared by the lovely people:

We are ready go go. Day was terrible, temperature in mountain area was only 9 C degrees with heavy rain. The worst scenario for a part of Europe where in June temperature might reach 35 C degrees...

After a long and exhausting ride, we have reached the Croatian Adriatic coast:

War scars :(

Finally, we have reached the private house of one Croatian rider that was with us from Zagreb. We were allowed to use his house for the following night. This was really generous from him (thanks Freshman) :

Later dinner in local pizzeria, and in the photo our next rider, Boban from Belgrade, Serbia on DL1000.

We went to bed early to be ready for the next, somewhat dramatic day.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:27 AM   #13
Renegade6
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Great report. Reminds me of how much I miss Europe.

1993 BMW R100GS
Renegade6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:36 AM   #14
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,507
well I guess everybody else might as well round file their ride reports. why bother?

great shot.

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:50 AM   #15
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,316
Wow! An epic journey with an epic ride report to match! Thanks for taking us along every step of your journey!! Fantastic trip, thanks for taking us along and posting all those pics and comments

GB is offline   Reply With Quote