Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2007, 05:21 PM   #16
wheelnut46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628
Nice lift. What is it and where did you get it?
1946 Chevy pickup
wheelnut46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:00 PM   #17
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
Awesome.

(I bet GodSilla would pee on THAT XRL if it were on fire!)

Quote:
AMEN to all of that.

I love XR600s.

Here's my interpretation of wht Honda would have done if they released a 2007 model XR600R>

ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #18
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis
Awesome.

(I bet GodSilla would pee on THAT XRL if it were on fire!)
Dude it's no XRL

XR600 all the way.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:18 PM   #19
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Dude it's no XRL

XR600 all the way.
I saw the starter and guessed it was an XRL motor in an XR frame with some USD forked front end grafted on.

What's the deal on the starter? After market - or do they sell them that down there?
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #20
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,326
Nope.

They don't sell 'em like this down our way - it's got an XR650L or NX650 Dominator motor.
As for the rolling chassis, your guess is as good as mine for now, the XR650L being a bit of a parts-bin special has a lot of the same gear as an XR600 (frame, plastics, etc.). The motor is different, as is the suspension, but this one could have been built from either platform, it's a bit hard to tell when they are this modified.
And I'd check the plate before I pissed on it out of principle.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:10 AM   #21
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
They don't sell 'em like this down our way - it's got an XR650L or NX650 Dominator motor.
As for the rolling chassis, your guess is as good as mine for now, the XR650L being a bit of a parts-bin special has a lot of the same gear as an XR600 (frame, plastics, etc.). The motor is different, as is the suspension, but this one could have been built from either platform, it's a bit hard to tell when they are this modified.
Actually it's an XR600 with the HRC engine upgrade (ie 628cc) - no engine swaps or XRL or NX motor here. It took 7 months to build the estarter.

Here's what it was like 2 years ago:

The left hand stator cover is XR650L - it bolts right up to the XR600R engine.

Here's mockup of the left side cover on the XR600 engine:

It's the last 2000 model XR600 sold here in Australia with the following either made or bought:

• HRC 628cc engine with 3 liter oil capacity.
• Complete Staintune header and exhaust
• Setrab oil cooler.
• CRF450R complete front end – 2005 forks, 2006 triples, hub
• CRF 450R brakes
• XR650R headlight shroud
• XR650R front guard
• Honda OEM 55 watt glass headlight system
• Keihin FCR-MX41mm carburetor (with Hot start from CRF450R carb plumbed in)
• Works connection elite perch
• Works connection CRF450R throttle tube
• Works connection frame guards
• CRF450R throttle pull/cables.
• Excel black rims F & R.
• Braking oversize wave front disk
• IMS 17 liter tank.
• IMS pro pegs
• Ceet hard seat foam
• Renthal sprockets
• Renthal grips
• DID chain
• Pro taper bars
• BRP submount
• Grip heaters
• 200 watt electrical system running dual circuits (AC for lights and DC for instruments and charging duties)
• XR650L regulator rectifier
• XR650L starter clutch, starter gears, starter motor and wiring bolted to stock XR600R lightened flywheel.

rmhrc628 screwed with this post 03-23-2007 at 12:16 AM
Old 03-23-2007, 12:14 AM   #22
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
Actually the XR650L does not have the same frame, plastics, motor, gearbox, suspension, brakes or electrical system as the XR600.

It is a vastly different bike to the XR600. They are completely different.

FWIW the 650L may as well be from a different company, it's that different.

I took what I had to from the 650L - left engine cover, starter gears and the starter button and then adapted the rest.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:09 AM   #23
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,578
Thats odd, I guess you guys have a different version of the L than we do here in the states. The XR650L here is an XR600 with some stuff added on. I have owned both of these bikes and there are lots of parts that are the same.

The only thing different about the plastic is the left side cover and there is two extra holes drilled into the rear fender.
The frame is basically the same except for the L has more brackets welded to it and the rear supframe has more supports.
The motors are similar.
The gear boxes are the same except for the gear ratios.
Suspenion is the same except for the valving and spring rates.
The only difference in the brakes is the front rotor is slightly larger on the L.
Electrical system is completely different.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 04:21 AM   #24
Terez OP
Terez

Oddometer: 62
Dr650 ?

How about the DR650 when dialed in ( Airbox mod/DJ jetting)?
Is it significantly more powerful?
Terez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:58 AM   #25
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Rmhrc628, that's my dream bike! I raced XR600s from 1992 to 2000. I always broke the frames before I broke the motor. It's impossible to find a clean one in the Southern U.S. They're either worn out and mistreated, or really nice and overpriced. I finally switched to KTM, but I think I would be just as fast on an ol XR 600. They did put out alot of heat from the air cooled motor, though. All of mine used to get so hot in summer, the gas would boil in the tank! You could hear it when you stopped, and feel the tank expand and contract. Pretty scary sitting on a big hot gas bomb.

A buddy of mine switched from 600s to the 650 R, and finally came to grips with it after a few years. He said the frame was way too stiff, and he had to ride it for about 2 years before it loosened up and handled better. He did the HRC hop up mods, then undid them. He decided the stock motor was better. It took about 6 months of carb jetting and such to make it start easy and not hiccup/sputter/flame out, but he finally got it right. The XR650R has potential as a good bike, but it isn't even close from the factory.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:29 AM   #26
JRiott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I guess I'll go against the norm in this thread and vote for the XR650R. I have mine set up as a dual sport right now and will get SM wheels at some point. I love riding this thing. It's very fast and has a ton of torque. I had an XR400 and my dad has had several XR250's and this does not have the old school feel, seating position, etc. It's a modern motorcycle in every way. It's faster, handles better and has better suspension and is very reliable. The only area where I can see the old XR600R having an advantage is that it's more damage resistant being air cooled.

My buddy has probably put 6-7K hardcore off road miles on his with very few problems. He's got the suspension set up pretty soft which may be to compensate for the stiffer frame. I've matched his settings.

I have no problem starting this bike and I'm 5'7" and 165 lbs. My buddy is the same height and weighs about 155 lbs.

The XR600R is IMO a much better bike than the XR650L. Going to the L you're in for a downgrade.
03' XR70
01' XR50
93' CBR900RR
JRiott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:49 AM   #27
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycamore
A 17 year old XR, still working hard? That's a good ad for Honda reliability.
Shoot, that's nothin! I know a guy who has a 1985 XR600R with a plate and over 60K miles on it and another with a 91 with the same....neither have had anything but a new cam chain adjuster installed.......my 96 has about 20K on it.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #28
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRiott
I guess I'll go against the norm in this thread and vote for the XR650R. I have mine set up as a dual sport right now and will get SM wheels at some point. I love riding this thing. It's very fast and has a ton of torque. I had an XR400 and my dad has had several XR250's and this does not have the old school feel, seating position, etc. It's a modern motorcycle in every way. It's faster, handles better and has better suspension and is very reliable. .
The XR650R has some well known flaws. Pegs, thermo, seat bolts stripping. It was realeased in 2000 with 1995 technology. It is fast, it has mucho torque. It is far less versatiles than the 600R.

It is far from a modern motorcycle. Its design is dated. Its demise (in most markets last year, probbaly NA this year) is a sign of its lack of appeal.

Hell the 650R caused scott summer's demise. It just about killed him when he first started racing it.

Honda have lost tons of market share and sales because of the 650R.

Very disappointing if you're a Honda big bore fan
Old 03-28-2007, 08:10 PM   #29
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,307
Quote:
The XR650R has some well known flaws. Pegs, thermo, seat bolts stripping. It was realeased in 2000 with 1995 technology. It is fast, it has mucho torque. It is far less versatiles than the 600R.

It is far from a modern motorcycle. Its design is dated. Its demise (in most markets last year, probbaly NA this year) is a sign of its lack of appeal.

Hell the 650R caused scott summer's demise. It just about killed him when he first started racing it.

Honda have lost tons of market share and sales because of the 650R.

What rock have YOU crawled out from rmhrc628, I think you have your Honda's mixed up, are you sure you're not talking about your CRF 450X. Now theirs a " 2001" bike with issues, valves, transmission blowing up, Jap's work tons of overtime "JUST" to make in win Baja. You could NEVER do that with a "stock" 450.

Pissed off OLD people LOVE to talk about "the old days-when it was soooo much better. Bull shit, bring that "628" you got, out to where I ride and I'll show you which is a OLD TECH. bike.

The year is 2007. Stop living in the past.

Love, Jim "the glass is HALF FULL"
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:34 PM   #30
wickedsprint
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:

I very much disagree, I think it is just right and far from a dissapointment. Great power and TQ, easy to start, and easy to get parts for. I think the only thing being a dissapointment would be hopping on a 600R or a 650L after being used to this monster. I know, I used to own a 650L and it is not even close.
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote