Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #61
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
How true. They do, however, get sold by people who obviously didn't deserve them in the first place, to owners who will love them to the grave.
Can't kill 'em with an axe.
Australian Safari (6 - 8,000 k's off-road race through the hell that is the Aussie outback) 10 OUTRIGHT WINS. The rest can bugger off.
Agreed godzilla.

Are there ever any ADV pig meetings/rides off this board in SE Australia?
(ie XR600 only rides?)
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:08 AM   #62
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,264
Wink

I have a '94 XR600R with a Baja Designs street legal kit and all the normal mods, airbox, fmf pipe, jetting, 250W stator, off road lights, etc. I wouldn't trade it for anything, I'm just nuts about it. I live near the Santa Cruz mountains (in California) and my friends and I love ripping up the fire roads and some single traks. One of my buddies rides a KTM lc4 and the other a XR650L. On the street the 650L has longer legs but in a stop light to stop light sprint or on the trail, the 650 can't touch me. The LC4 is another story. Kill if you have to but keep your XR600R!
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:36 PM   #63
APG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
i currently have a 650r but had a 600r for years.
they're both great bikes, but the 650r has much, much, more top end, even stock (mine has edelbrock carb and HRC piston kit). so in terms of versatility, the significantly greater engine performance speaks for itself. their weight and "feel" off road are pretty similar to me, and I think both suffer from weak suspension. I put a lot of mileage on both in hot weather, and have never had any reliability issues with either, though can understand why the aircooled engine comes off as more rugged by virtue of its simplicity. it gets hotter though, and performance drops.

once you ride the 650r, you won't want to go back to the 600r. but just as with the 600r, it takes alot of mods to get them right.

what makes them both great bikes is their reliability, and the 650r, despite its greater complexity, has upheld the XR tradition.
APG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #64
misterkridered
Red Rider

Oddometer: 236
2000 and 1990 XR600R

I've had the 1990 XR since new and love it but wanted the newer suspension so I bought a 2000. The older bike has seen severe use for 17 years and I can't kill it. Only had to replace the clutch plates and stator. I use Amsoil 20W50. The suspension is far superior on the newer bike. The motor actually has less bottom end than the 1990 probably due to the aftermarket exhaust. I'm keeping the 1990 for street use and as a spare and using the new one for trails and adventure riding. Ive since added a 23 liter gas tank to the 2000 and some XR's only guards.
misterkridered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:16 PM   #65
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,589
Smart move keeping both.
A friend of mine bought an XR600, then acquired another pair, around 2 - 3 years ago, and couldn't believe how good these "old, slow, heavy" bikes were to ride. He commented how he too had swallowed the traditional mythology about their age, weight, newer is better, blah blah blah, but when he actually owned one he was very taken with how good they really are.
Full circle, he has sold them all off to buy a KTM, a move I'm sure will bring both pleasure and pain. But the one thing I know for sure is that sooner or later I'll hear the familiar whine :"Geez, I wish I'd never sold that XR600...". They all do sooner or later. Guaranteed.

I read with interest the debates a few pages earlier, and for what it's worth, the XR650R was effectively killed off by Honda, in Australia at least, by not fitting an electric start from the beginning. When it was released here, magazines and riders just could not believe that Honda had gone to all the trouble to make a replacement for their best bike, and fucked it up in competition with the closing euros by not giving it an electric leg. I still find that omission by Honda beyond comprehension. An electric start would have seen many, many more of them marching out of the showrooms. Without one, the WR Yamahas got a big leg-up in sales, along with the euros, especially KTM, whose sales skyrocketed in the big bore market after that. I personally know more than a few riders from that period who said they actually wanted the Honda, but no electric leg was the bit that made their minds up for them to go euro. Softcocks, I know, but there it is.
GodSilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #66
Rut Runner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I've been reading this thread with interest as I upgraded from a 92 XR600R to a 2000 XR650R a year ago. I've stored my 600R as I'm not sure what to do with it.

One issue that I havn't seen addressed is the much lower vibration levels in the 650R. My 600R vibrates quite abit through the footpegs and handlebars, just like a KTM 640. My 650R is vastly smoother. For dualsport use on the road this puts the 650R way ahead of the 600R.

I'm just curious why this hasn't been mentioned in this thread before. I'm almost thinking that there is something wrong with my 92 600R? I did a top-end job 4 years ago and it didn't make any difference. My serial number is XXXX0000004 so looks like I got the fourth one made-is it possible they didn't do something right?

I've never ridden another XR600R so I don't know if the high vibration levels are normal for this bike.
Rut Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #67
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
It sounds like something is wrong with it. I've owned and rode a bunch of 600's over the years and I haven't noticed any excessive vibrations from them.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 AM   #68
XRsteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
The 600s do vibrate. More so than the 650Ls. At least that's been my experience. I haven't ridden a 650R, so I couldn't comment on that.
XRsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #69
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,594
Bad Vibes

Only reason for an XR to vibrate would be if the counter balancer is not timed right. Motor ever been apart? Other than that, that's the way they are.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #70
banshee8989
AKA: Fartman

Oddometer: 812
I currently own a 650L and love it. Yes in stock form it is mellow but there are plenty of aftermarket goodies to wake it up. There are 2 huge points that have been missed when comparing these 3 bikes. #1: you cant register a 650r or 600 here in Connecticut. #2: they havent made the 600 for some time and they dont make the 650r any more but they still make the L. These are huge points that have been missed as aftermarket parts for the R and 600 are getting smaller by the day.

People like to trash the L but it is a true dual sport where as the others are strictly off-road only. Give me an L anyday for the road, sure give me the 600 for off road only but for the price of them used..... go by yourself a used KDX220, save $1500, and smoke the doors off a 600 anyday.... at least in the sand. 2 stroke is a dirty word these days but you can get a 1998 or newer KDX for much less than a 1990XR600. It will have better suspension, be newer, and look at the horse power charts.... they are about the same. I am just saying that if your buying used you can get more bang for your buck.

The L is a dual sport from the factory and its not fair to compare it 2 off-road only bikes. I wish honda would do some mods to the 650R and call it the new L... but they wont and I not sure why.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #71
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,861
hit the nail on the head!!

Quote:
Smart move keeping both.
A friend of mine bought an XR600, then acquired another pair, around 2 - 3 years ago, and couldn't believe how good these "old, slow, heavy" bikes were to ride. He commented how he too had swallowed the traditional mythology about their age, weight, newer is better, blah blah blah, but when he actually owned one he was very taken with how good they really are.
Full circle, he has sold them all off to buy a KTM, a move I'm sure will bring both pleasure and pain. But the one thing I know for sure is that sooner or later I'll hear the familiar whine :"Geez, I wish I'd never sold that XR600...". They all do sooner or later. Guaranteed.

I read with interest the debates a few pages earlier, and for what it's worth, the XR650R was effectively killed off by Honda, in Australia at least, by not fitting an electric start from the beginning. When it was released here, magazines and riders just could not believe that Honda had gone to all the trouble to make a replacement for their best bike, and fucked it up in competition with the closing euros by not giving it an electric leg. I still find that omission by Honda beyond comprehension. An electric start would have seen many, many more of them marching out of the showrooms. Without one, the WR Yamahas got a big leg-up in sales, along with the euros, especially KTM, whose sales skyrocketed in the big bore market after that. I personally know more than a few riders from that period who said they actually wanted the Honda, but no electric leg was the bit that made their minds up for them to go euro. Softcocks, I know, but there it is.

I have read this thread with interest - and there are some over opinionated comments but in reality - Honda has lost the plot in the big bore Adv/off road bike stakes..

I was one eyed red for a very long time... had lots of XR600's and 400's and kept racing em long after the fancy new bikes were out on the market.. but eventually I bought a KTM 640 for my adv bike because good suspension, brakes and electric start should be the normal thing these days.. I have and can kick start a bike - but over a multi day ride sometimes doing 1200k days... I shouldn't have to..

As for the personal attacks on rmhrc628.. grow the fuck up people, this guy has done what Honda should of done at the least... I would buy that bike if only he would sell it to me... I have tried..

if you like your XR650R better than the 600R or 600L - great - each to thier own!!

Maybe one day I will get back on to Red.. but not until Honda catch up...

Joe

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #72
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,341
ive heard the XR650R is easier to start than the XR600. it wouldnt surprise me. people constantly are amazed at how little effort i put into my kicks, because i know i dont have to.. the bike will fire up without effort.

As for the XR600 vs XR650r, the 600 was abit lazy for me and wasnt as fun as the 650. I enjoyed the 650 much more since it made power everywhere from bottom to top.
the 600 sort of feels like a truck / tractor. Agricultural machine... flame suit on

My only gripe with these bikes are the suspenders. bloody pogo sticks, im going to stick some USDs on so i can actually get some pace happening in the rough stuff without worrying about going over the bars.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #73
booniebasher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Awesome bikes.

Here in Arse-Trailer (Australia to English speakers :-) ) the XR600 was the biggest selling bike in the country for a decade. Then the new generation of high-revving bikes came out, and most dirt bike riders went "baaa" and convinced themselves that they NEEDED one. Funnily enough, many of those folks now scour the used bike market hoping to pick up an XR600 or 400. Guess what? There aren't many for sale. There's a reason for that.
I have ridden the XR650R and it has gobs of power, but my 600 actually makes more bottom-end grunt and unless it's an open trail my 600 is not at any disadvantage, and actually gets better drive/traction in many circumstances. It is a real tractor.
I wouldn't piss on an XR650L if it was on fire. I know you poor buggers in the USA are stuck with them as you mostly can't get plated XR600's, what a bummer. Here in Oz the 600 is discontinued, but the XR650L was the replacement. Aussie riders look upon them with scorn and derision, and hate Honda for what they have done.
I have just personally spent more than the market value of my XR600 on a top-end rebuild, new full exhaust, oil cooler, upgraded stator and headlight, etc. (all the stuff Honda never fixed) and I have no regrets at all. I love my XR and hope to be buried with it.
In 11 years of hard use (with regular servicing) this bike has NEVER left me stranded. You will read many entries on this forum containing something along the lines of "I wish I'd never sold my XR600, looking for another one".
The XR600 is the best dirtbike ever made. Ever.
thanks
you just convinced me not to trade for a 650, i will trick out my xr600
booniebasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #74
booniebasher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedsprint
This is a silly argument, the XR600 was competing in the GNCC races when there was not much in the way of serious dirtbikes, how many GNCCs is the 600R winning now?

Electric start...don't want it, I know how to tune and start a bike, been kicking them since I was 12.

Lifespan, you mean production run or projected longevity of the bike before it dies?, my money would be on the 650R motor, it is more heavily built and water cooled, water cooling = durability long term.
kind of funny, read the new dirtrider or dirtbike, garage xr 600 gets on the podium in the pro class in the woods, funny story
booniebasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #75
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by booniebasher
kind of funny, read the new dirtrider or dirtbike, garage xr 600 gets on the podium in the pro class in the woods, funny story
That's my racing buddy Alen Westerfield. He bought it to start dual sporting with me.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote