Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
Ogre_fl OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Re-packing a 2 stroke silencer, any way to reduce noise

Hey all,

I never liked the looks of the exhaust that was on the GTR.
I was monkeying around with it this weekend to make it look more motorcycle like w/the silencer mounted off the end of the chamber rather than over it and I have noticed that the silencer on our scooter is "re-packable". It appears to have a fiberglass matt wrapped around a perforated core.

Is there any materials or specific brand of packing that may help reduce noise?

Also any other noise reduction ideas would be good too.

Thanks
Ogre

Original design.

Modified
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,882
any fiberglass will work if you want the best go to a dirtbike dealer and ask them.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
Ogre_fl OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks,

I'm really looking to cut the noise as much as I can.

I have seen glass mat kits, loose glass fiber and Stainless steel wool (I think??) types as well.

Just curious if any type has better sound reducing effects than others.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:16 AM   #4
AMM Mystic
AMM Tri-Comm Member

Oddometer: 53
I've repacked the L/V silencer on my Zuma. It had about 2k miles on it and was begining to get very loud. I removed the silencer, unwound the steel wool and fiberglass. The inside tube was pretty mucked up (from running too rich) so i sprayed it with carb cleaner and took a propane torch to it. Steel wool and Builders wool, a fire resistant fiberglass, is recomended for repacking. I just wraped mine with alot of #0 (I think, dont remember for sure) steel wool and then used about half of the existing non-burned fiberglass to repack it. It's now much quieter, almost as quiet as the stock muffler at slow naighborhood speeds.

'05 Yamaha Zuma 50cc
'06 Yamaha FZ6 600cc
'89 Huffy BMX
'03 Folding Stationary Exercise Bike

The Shockers Scooter Club - a.k.a. The North Pinellas Scooter Syndicate - "13 year old girls want us, 13 year old boys want to be us!"
AMM Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:30 AM   #5
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,882
the quietest packing I have found comes from the dirt bike dealer but as he said just cleaning it up will help a lot.

ps a repacked silencer will be both quieter and have more power. That is the best of both worlds.

pps I have had to have some boiled at the local machine shop this also takes all the paint off.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:55 AM   #6
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,099
Clean the core really well. If its not well perferated drill more holes or enlarge the holes that are there, then re-pack with quality two stroke silencer packing (I like Silent Sport packing). Don't jamb it it super tight, but also don't have empty space in there either. Stuffed a fair bit tighter than a pillow is probably good.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:42 AM   #7
Ogre_fl OP
Beastly Adventurer

Good info guys, Thanks to all !!!!

I did not think about opening up the core, but that makes lots of sense.

I am leaning towards the Silent Sport loose strand type packing.
Do you wrap it with something to hold it to the core while you slip the can cover over it, or do you try to stuff it from the end, with the core inside the can cover?

Now for the other end, any tricks to reduce the intake noise?
I've got a K&N type pod filter on it mounted on a short elbow off the carb. The stock air box is gone.
I was thinking of putting the filter up under the front fairing with a long rubber coolant type hose of at least the same ID as the current elbow.

Do any of you think that will work, or will the long intake run affect the flow?
Old 05-22-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
Hyazuma
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Clean the core really well. If its not well perforated drill more holes or enlarge the holes that are there, then re-pack with quality two stroke silencer packing (I like Silent Sport packing). Don't jamb it it super tight, but also don't have empty space in there either. Stuffed a fair bit tighter than a pillow is probably good.
You sir are a friggin genius!

Thank you very very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(I didn't put enough exclamation points )
Hyazuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
slydrite
Yea buddy!

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMM Mystic
I've repacked the L/V silencer on my Zuma. It had about 2k miles on it and was begining to get very loud. I removed the silencer, unwound the steel wool and fiberglass. The inside tube was pretty mucked up (from running too rich) so i sprayed it with carb cleaner and took a propane torch to it. Steel wool and Builders wool, a fire resistant fiberglass, is recomended for repacking. I just wraped mine with alot of #0 (I think, dont remember for sure) steel wool and then used about half of the existing non-burned fiberglass to repack it. It's now much quieter, almost as quiet as the stock muffler at slow naighborhood speeds.
Zombie thread resurerection and all, but how did you get the sliencer apart?

We have the LV ZX too and I removed it, cleaned all the burnt oil muck off, and can't see a way that it comes apart.

Clues? Tips?
slydrite is offline   Reply With Quote