ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
GSHighlander OP
Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,577
Thumb Where to Meet ADV Riders - Middle Sound

THE ORIGINAL "WHERE TO MEET ADV RIDERS" POST! THE ONE THAT STARTED IT ALL!

Okay, it's March 5, 2007, 3:30PM, the sun is out, the temperature just eased over the 60 degree mark in Seattle, and I want to sit and have a beer with some ADV Riders, talk about the summer riding season, check out some bike mods, and just chill.

I'm racking my brains scanning my vast knowledge of watering holes, brew pubs and the like but I cannot for the life of me think of one place to go where the predominant bike outside isn't a Harley Davidson. Nothing against Harleys but, hey, they're a tool for a different job.

If an obvious spot isn’t known, maybe it’s time to claim one and I have lots of ideas. For now, can anyone share a spot with me, or maybe 'the' spot, where I'm likely to find ADV Riders that isn't out in Timbuktu? Something in the 20 mile range around Seattle proper?

Thanks!

GSHighlander screwed with this post 06-11-2010 at 02:25 PM
GSHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
Right Turn Clyde
Pongo pygmaeus

Oddometer: 841
GSH, I heard the common rumble yesterday, too. All the polished HD drivers getting out of the cage or the 1st time since…Oct? Blew the dust off the hogs and their skills.

DS riders here have been at it all winter!
Old 03-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
MikeFromMT
Past Tense

Oddometer: 3,668
I can't speak for Missoula, but when I lived in Darby (about 60 miles South on 93) I saw about 20 ADVriders a day riding past my office, most don't hang at the bars (at least at night) but would lurk about town on their way to/from somewhere else. There's also a group out of Stevensville, I can't remember names but they've posted in ride reports a few times.
HTH
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:11 PM   #4
Ratty2austin
commutercycle

Oddometer: 1,816
I have wonderd this many a moons as well

why dont we pick a spot? maybe we can do a monthly? weekly? "meetings" aka a place that we just keep showing up with the beastly ADV bikes we ride, and people will get the hang of it and viola! a hang out is born?

maybe I am just nuts

in my head it worked out....

any ideas? howabout down in Edmonds near the waterfront? Seattle waterfront? Alki Beach? (probably too many squiddys/HDs down there)

Eastside?

in Minneapolis, there is a monthly first thursday gathering that I have been to- its HUGE... and all done at a pizza place

how about a cafe? with outdoor seating? Ballard/Fremont??
<--- where all the pictures are!
Ratty2austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:23 PM   #5
GSHighlander OP
Enthusiast

It would be great to find/establish a place in Seattle where ADV Riders hang out. I see no reason why the Harley set needs to claim all the watering holes in the NW. If I see one more row of Harleys backed up to the curb outside a sweet tavern or roadhouse, I'm going to spit.

I mean, I don't think they're any prouder of their machines and the Harley lifestyle than we are about our machines and the ADV Rider lifestyle. Yet, Harley owners seem to congregate in bigger numbers and they're more visible.

I'm not talking about competing with Harley owners whatsoever because that would be totally pointless but I do think we could learn something from the Harley community and show a little more pride by hanging out in bigger numbers at a few high-visibility watering holes. Building the ADV Rider community is a noble pursuit.

Just a thought...
Old 03-05-2007, 08:31 PM   #6
nwgs
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHighlander
It would be great to find/establish a place in Seattle where ADV Riders hang out. I see no reason why the Harley set needs to claim all the watering holes in the NW. If I see one more row of Harleys backed up to the curb outside a sweet tavern or roadhouse, I'm going to spit.

I mean, I don't think they're any prouder of their machines and the Harley lifestyle than we are about our machines and the ADV Rider lifestyle. Yet, Harley owners seem to congregate in bigger numbers and they're more visible.

I'm not talking about competing with Harley owners whatsoever because that would be totally pointless but I do think we could learn something from the Harley community and show a little more pride by hanging out in bigger numbers at a few high-visibility watering holes. Building the ADV Rider community is a noble pursuit.

Just a thought...

How bout the 5 Spot downtown? Great food, great drinks and plenty of parking?

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
debueller
Has a thing 4Fungirl

Oddometer: 834
I'd be up for attending a ADV hangout occassionally.

I'm in Ravensdale......it's a little farther from everything, but WTF, it's the ride, not the destination.....right?

Of course if the destination includes like-minded individuals, that's even better.
debueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:46 PM   #8
GSHighlander OP
Enthusiast

Ratty2austin:

Obviously we're on the same page here! I think there are good spots on both sides of the pond. From as far out as Duvall and over to Alki there are tons of good watering holes.

Some favorites with decent parking:

Cactus @ Alki
The Red Onion @ Madison Park
Redhook Brewery @ Woodinville
Duvall Grill @ Duvall
Hilltop Ale House @ Queen Anne
Pyramid Ale House @ SODO
The Pumphouse @ Bellevue
And on and on...

I'd be willing to commit to meeting at least twice a month in the spring, summer, and fall, and once a month in the wintertime.

What say you?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
Watercat
Web Footed Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,472
GSHiglander

Hey there,

Since you're a GS guy, thought I'd recommend a German pub, Feirabend, just north of the main REI store in Seattle. They've got a 3 - 6 happy hour with decent german grub & 18 German beers on tap. It's a relatively new place & seems to fit the bill. . . . . Check it out.

Later,

Watercat

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:53 PM   #10
Ratty2austin
commutercycle

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSHighlander
Ratty2austin:

Obviously we're on the same page here! I think there are good spots on both sides of the pond. From as far out as Duvall and over to Alki there are tons of good watering holes.

Some favorites with decent parking:

Cactus @ Alki
The Red Onion @ Madison Park
Redhook Brewery @ Woodinville
Duvall Grill @ Duvall
Hilltop Ale House @ Queen Anne
Pyramid Ale House @ SODO
The Pumphouse @ Bellevue
And on and on...

I'd be willing to commit to meeting at least twice a month in the spring, summer, and fall, and once a month in the wintertime.

What say you?
sounds good to me.... I will need to sample these said locations, so to better determine a good location

should we come up with a preliminary test location? and a date? right now, I am good with weekends- any time of day, but I am usually out on a ride/campout so weekdays in the evening would be nice too
<--- where all the pictures are!
Ratty2austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
debueller
Has a thing 4Fungirl

Another suggestion:

Planet Georgetown.

I get out there a couple of times a year for the Vintage Motorcycle Enthuasits meeting. (first wed of each month) Lots of cool old bikes to look at.

I always enjoy visiting Georgetown. Touratech, VME meetings, Georgetown brewing co, 9 lb hammer bar, Magic Wheels clubhouse (A work buddy is a member), Seattle scooter club clubhouse. It's a motorcycle friendly area.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:01 PM   #12
GSHighlander OP
Enthusiast

There are some good spots in Issaquah, too, debueller. Issaquah certainly isn't far from anything. There's also a HD spot in Cumberland where they serve tacos on Thursday nights. It's more of an outdoor place, however.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866

I'm off Thursty & Frydays - however that works out. We could take over Walt's in Mckena on the Nisqually or places around Yelm and Lacy - might be more central to the folks on the peninsula (even though I'm in Tacoma) either direction is good for me but a whole lot less police that way. JMO

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #14
GSHighlander OP
Enthusiast

Does Georgetown Brewing have a pub, or serve any grub? I really like their brew. Georgetown is actually a great spot; low density, lots of parking, some good spots for chow, and Touratech is close by, too. Mix it up with a ball game in the summertime at Safeco and it could be a helluva lotta fun!
Old 03-05-2007, 09:25 PM   #15
debueller
Has a thing 4Fungirl

Unfortunatly Georgetown Brewing co does not serve food or beer. It's just a cool place to go and maybe buy a growler of beer and a t-shirt. However Planet Georgetown bar and grill has good beer and grub.

In Cumberland the place is called the City Hall. Thursdays afternoons in the summer is a HUGE H-D hangout in the summers. I live only a few miles from there and a few times a year I go for tacos and a beer, then go look at the chrome shrines. Sometimes there is hundreds of them. The parking is great and I love admiring bikes while enjoying a meal with a beer. The outdoor seating there is awesome. They usually have live music also. All on a thursday night.

The Rouge brewery in Issaquah has great food and suds, but the parking sucks. If

Any location is OK with me........it's almost impossible to find a location that is convenient for everyone.......I don't mind traveling.