Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
gregbart OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Replacing tires. DIY or shop?

Hi all,
I have a 1992 XT600 with street tires on it. I will be doing some off-roading with my brother in a few weeks, so I wanted to change over to some 50/50 tires. The dealer wants $40 per wheel, off the bike, to mount and balance. So, I'm planning on changing them out myself. I've never changed motorcycle tires. But, I've changed bicycle, car, jeep and tractor tires before. I'm comfortable with a wrench (and Youtube). What I'm wondering is it worth balancing the tires, or not.

I will, also, be getting a DL1000 in about a month and plan on putting a lot of miles on it. So, unless the DL1000 tires are exceptionally hard to change, I will be changing them myself also. Should I just bite the bullet and get a static balancer or plan on having a shop change out the DL1000 tires.

Sorry about the rambling,

Gregbart

gregbart screwed with this post 05-04-2015 at 01:44 PM
gregbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:50 PM   #2
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,551
I've yet to balance a motorcycle tire. But, most people do. I rarely exceed 90 mph, if that is a factor. If the wheel was noticeably imbalanced, I would not hesitate to perform a static balance.

The only advice I can give to someone with your background is to get some 8" tire irons and rim protectors. I use the stubby tire tools (http://www.stubbytiretools.com/). No money or time is saved if the rim gets damaged changing the tire.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,270
$40 isn't a really good price but not crazy unreasonable. Shop time is shop time regardless if the shop is rebuilding a motor, changing your oil or busting tires. At $40 a pop I'd do my own but it is a PITA and nobody 'likes' busting tires but I'm poor(retired) so no matter how much I dislike a job, I do what I'm physically able to.
Shops cost money, sweat is free.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:09 PM   #4
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,938
I can change a tire in about fifteen minutes and balance it in five. But I also have three tire irons, rim protectors and a place to work. So $40 per tire is a lot to me though probably a decent shop rate.

Whether it is worth it to balance a tire depends on the tire. I never did in the past. But I installed a desert knobby a couple of weeks ago that was actually not possible to ride on above 70 mph. I bought a balancer and hung four ounces of weight on it. I still hated it and mounted another one yesterday. Then I balanced the tires on my bikes just because I can now. It did make a difference at highway speeds. The Harbor Freight balancer and No-Mar re-useable weights make it easy for the cost of one of those dealer tire changes.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 05-04-2015 at 02:18 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
lesman
Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer: 703
I use a HF , mojo lever and plastic rim guards for a harbor freight. I have a static balancer from HF(it was so cheap, it's not worth making)

That said, I have buddy that does Harley tires with tire irons.He's really fast. If you have done bicycles, you can do motorcycle tires.
Breaking the bead should be your only real dilemma. Some people use c clamps

DL1000 tires are a piece of cake..mojo lever or tire irons.
Tips. Warm the tire in the sun. Use ru-glide, Dish soap or Pledge.
Use orange juice bottle plastic to protect the rims
Don't rest the rim on the disk on the ground. Elevate the rim or remove the rotor.
If the stars align up, it's 5 minutes or less to dismount and remount a tire.
If it takes you more than 30 minutes it's a technique problem. If you take an hour, just relax. Go watch an u tube video It's amazing the difference when you push down or push up the tire.

I spend more time getting my tire changer & balancer out, setting them up than I do tire changes.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,938
C-clamps are your friend. So is some kind of lube. But I switched from soap to Windex on advice from here. You are on your own with the choice in puppies.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #7
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,583
If you have changed all the tires you have listed, you will be fine. The worst I ever did was 37" jeep tires with 12" levers but my little 6" lawn tractor tires were a close second. Motorcycle tires are easy by comparison.

I don't worry about balancing because I don't have the tool. It is on my list to get soon. The Marc Parns balancer is supposed to be pretty nice.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:22 PM   #8
EmBeeZedEx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
I don't worry about balancing because I don't have the tool.
matching stacks of milk crates or a couple matching chairs and the bike's axle will do fine for sticking a couple weights on. As mentioned, dirty bikes aren't gonna benefit from a precision job.
EmBeeZedEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,391
Just DIY. It is not that hard and a skill every dirt motorcyclists should have.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:45 PM   #10
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,787
Only let the dealer do it once.

Usually I will pull the wheel myself and take it to a bike shop (non-dealer such as Cycle gear) and let them change it. Or I do it myself. If the tire is fresh and easy to work, fixing a flat, it is easy doing it yourself. When the tire is several years old and heat cycled into a rock, tire shop is totally worth it.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:46 PM   #11
ABHooligan
The Flying Mythos

Oddometer: 1,156
I struggled, fought, cursed, bled, and bought tubes, until I read Neduro's how-to:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50717

Read it, and you'll be changing tires with soup spoons before you know it.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #12
kumatae
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Just did it twice today because I had a small hole in the first tube. There is nothing more demoralizing than to find that you have a leak after you painstakingly put the tire together. I do it myself because I want to be competent when I'm riding on the trail and get a flat. My rims have lots of scratches but if I had a new rim, I would get those rim protectors. Also, for the garage get a harbor freight tire iron, $5.99. Makes it easier than the portable small irons. I also went ahead and bought the harbor freight motorcycle tire balancer because I rode with a severe unbalanced tire and it wasnt a good feeling. Im sure it had uneven sprocket and chain wear. Btw, those youtube guys make it so easy!!
kumatae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:14 PM   #13
gregbart OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thanks guys!
Just ordered the tires etc. I decided to wait until next month for the balancer. The XT will only be on dirt, at fairly slow speed. Once I need new tires for the DL1000, I'll get the balancer. It will be driven considerably faster .

Thanks again,
Gregbart
gregbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #14
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Xt600, look up zip tie tire change.

$20 on Amazon will buy you a motorcycle wheel balancer, you supply the 2x4s. $40-60 will buy you the whole thing. Solder wire makes great balance wire wrapped around spokes.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #15
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
pulling the rim is the bulk of the work - I change tires with some tire irons 2x4's faster than the ride over to the dealership. Jack stands and the axle will be good enough for balancing at street speeds.

It's extra easy for tubed tires because you can 'seat' the bead with a bicycle pump instead of a compressor.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote