User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
MaestroPNW OP
Me!

Oddometer: 97
Question Question for Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift Table owners

I'm eyeing the HF Table Lift - this one http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...ift-68892.html
My garage space is somewhat limited, so the size of this thing concerns me a bit.
They list the length of it at 87'', but I assume that does not include the ramp, right?
How long the ramp is? Does it stove away or fold up in any way?
Thanks!
MaestroPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 884
Storage: wife parks over my air operated Handy lift with her Lexus Rx350.
http://www.mile-x.com/handy-10740-ai...le-lift-2.aspx

FYI:
Compact hydraulic lift $229
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-LB-HYDR..._Tools&vxp=mtr

Air/Hydraulic
http://www.mile-x.com/Tire-Professio...ycle-lift.aspx

I prefer just Air (no pumping and no hydraulic oil to leak)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Titan-1000-l...item2c547fa721

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:29 AM   #3
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,427
Right, that doesn't include the ramp, the ramp is another 24", but it lifts off locating pins and can be stored anywhere. Remember, however, the position changes as the bike goes up, so you'll need more space to use it.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
MaestroPNW OP
Me!

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Right, that doesn't include the ramp, the ramp is another 24", but it lifts off locating pins and can be stored anywhere. Remember, however, the position changes as the bike goes up, so you'll need more space to use it.
Thanks, that's exactly the information I was looking for. I don't mind taking up more space when working on the bike, it's storing it beside the parked bike that's a problem for me. And, I don't think I would want to ride on the table to park regularly.
If the ramp is detachable though, it fits.
Thanks again.
MaestroPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
racer1735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
If you have a definite 'down' season, as I do, I park my bike ON the ramp during the winter months. Also pull the truck in the garage over the ramp when lowered. Cars, in general, won't clear the ramp. I've had mine about 14 months now and love it. Every so often, I raise it up and give the undercarraige and pump mechanism a good wipe-down. Figure the less dust and grit on the pump, the better chance of it not leaking.
racer1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 14,862
Actually, my HF lift gets shorter as it rises . . . . . about 18 inches or so . .. .

And, as others have said, the ramp is easily removed from the lift when not needed. Be aware, though, the raising the lift with teh ramp attached WILL result in a very efficient shin-marking device.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabayan View Post
I'm eyeing the HF Table Lift - this one http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...ift-68892.html
My garage space is somewhat limited, so the size of this thing concerns me a bit.
They list the length of it at 87'', but I assume that does not include the ramp, right?
How long the ramp is? Does it stove away or fold up in any way?
Thanks!
I've had a Handy air-operated lift for 20 years, and have a $300 foot-operated HF lift.
The Handy almost always has a bike on it, so the HF gets all sorts of use; as
a workbench, bikelift/etc. At the moment there's a bike enjoying a winter-long
complete restoration on it.

In many ways I like it better than the Handy. No air or other connection needed; moves
all around easily with a bike on board, (sometime rolled outside for summer work),
easy to adjust to any level (which is clumsy with the Handy, and it's lowest raised
position is often too high), lip around edge keeps tools/parts on board....

Downside to the HF: doesn't like the "Left half of a Olds" size bikes a lot, must install a
decent vice (I use a Baxley trailer chock), the lift out wheel change panel is blocked by
support bar.
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
worncog
YBNormal

Oddometer: 125
Make sure you get the $299 'supercoupon', or whatever they are calling it this week. Usually found in their ad in quite a few magazines.

I've had one for about six months or so, and there is always a bike on it. Still can't believe I waited so long to get one. The front wheel vise sucks, I replaced it with a Handy wheel vise.
worncog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,925
a couple of boards on either side of the tire makes the front wheel vice useable. Not nice to use, but useable.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
Steelybeast
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
For those who own one, do you feel like it's steady when raised all the way and a heavy bike on it or does it feel like it sways a lot?

I have been looking myself at those, and I know it says it's rated for 1000 pounds I think it is, but mys ST1300 weighs in at about 750.

I am not as concerned as much about the Bandit as it's around 450 pounds.
2008 Kawasaki Versys (past)
Two-Up, Two-Wheels, Two-gether:Switzerland
Steelybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
racer1735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
I have the HF lift table as well as an '04 ST1300. The ST lives on the table during winter months. The table has screw-type supports which you crank down to lift the rolling wheels off the ground when its loaded (so it won't roll unintentionally). When lifted, it has no tendancy to tip, at all (you shouldn't be standing on it when loaded, but you don't normally do that with any lift table). The ONLY tendancy to tip is when the bike is on the table, the table is in the full-down position, and you start to lift the table. IF you lean or pull on the front of the bike while the table is in a 'mid' position, the table will want to tip forward, but this isn't a position one would normally work on the bike in.

Overall, it si a strong, steady table for a 750 lb machine.
racer1735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #12
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,940
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelybeast View Post
For those who own one, do you feel like it's steady when raised all the way and a heavy bike on it or does it feel like it sways a lot?

I have been looking myself at those, and I know it says it's rated for 1000 pounds I think it is, but mys ST1300 weighs in at about 750.

It does sway just a tiny bit, but it's nothing to worry about. I wouldn't be concerned about putting your ST on it.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelybeast View Post

I just did the valve adjustment on my 850 lb. Royal Barge... that table was rock solid. I've been very skeptical, but so far, it's exceeded my expectations. Use the jack bolts to take it up off the small swivel casters in the front.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #14
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 54,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
It does sway just a tiny bit, but it's nothing to worry about. I wouldn't be concerned about putting your ST on it.
The key it to put down the leveling feet once you have it in position. I like mine a lot, and use it a lot. It hold heavy bikes just fine. When I needed extra space in my one car garage I simply lifted one side and leaned it against the wall. On the wheels it moves easily, and is very strong when riding up. I added a HF wheel chock to assist in one man loading or unloading. It allows me to let it stand on its own wheile adding the tie down straps.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
JPSpen
At Large

Oddometer: 1,185
I've had one for about 10 years now... It's never failed me and it's as stable as any of them are...

I put a chock on mine so I could just ride on, Then get off the bike and strap it down....I'm a one man operation.
If I'm working on tires where I have to take the front off.. I jack up the bike and put it on the center stand.. then I can take both wheels off and have no issues....

Works fine lasts a long time...

John
I like the wind in my face and Boobies too !!..
JPSpen is offline   Reply With Quote