User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM   #1
configurationspace OP
delooper

Oddometer: 8,727
Bunkbed designs

I'm thinking about building a bunkbed for my kid. Nothing terribly elaborate, mainly I'm trying to free up some room by putting the bed up high. Having some room for family (and their kids) is a plus.

This design hits most of my soft and fuzzy parts:

The only issue I have with it is I'm renting so I'm not about to bolt the bed into the wall. So I'll have to put in some extra supports, which will knock down the aesthetics a bit but it'll still accomplish the job of having the beds up high and making floor space available.

Have you seen some other designs that accomplish a similar goal? A plus if one wouldn't need much more than a miter saw, drill and a router to build it...
configurationspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM   #2
aardschok
Fallout Rider

Oddometer: 557
cover the posts and think "Deck"

Think "Deck" strength when building. Bolt sides to posts, etc. I suggest at least one anchor to the wall with foam between to prevent excess movement when kids bounce around. (they do that alot) You can even attach things to the posts, such as swing arm tv hanger and lighting. Under bed between joists make great cubby holes. Want the modern sleek look? Use post covers:

MVT
aardschok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #3
Hybridchemistry

Oddometer: 315
I got the*IKEA Fjelldal probably close to 10 years ago and used it through the end of highschool and part of college till I moved out of my paretd place. I'm 6' 3" and ended up at ~190lbs when I moved out. Needless to say, the bed lasted well enough. My dad and I took three inches off each leg before assembly to give more head clearance, and also cut a different opening at the foot of the bed for the ladder. Paired with the IKEA Jerker desk, I think I was maximizing my space efficiency.

That being said, I believe the loft bed is discontinued, but fairly simple, so a DIY project should be easy enough. I'd recommend some cross bracing to prevent minor shakes 'at the top.'

Jerkers can still he found on Craigslist for ~100$.
Hybridchemistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM   #4
mampula
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
I built this one...

...for my daughter. I eliminated the lower bed, so she uses the space under the bed as a play area. The plans also call for using strips of 1x stock for the infill panels. I used 1/4" ply and painted it to look like siding. The frame (made of 2x4 stock) can feel wobbly until the panels are in place. Then the bed is as solid as a rock. She's a rough little kid, and even with three little girls rough-housing on the upper bed, it hardly moves. Constructed with a chopsaw, a circular saw, drill, and pocket hole jig. I could have managed without the pocket hole jig, but I had one, so I used it.

There are also plans for a set of stairs that double as storage on the same site. My kid would rather simply climb up the side...

HTML Code:
http://ana-white.com/2012/09/plans/sweet-pea-bunk-bed
mampula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #5
configurationspace OP
delooper

Thanks for the suggestions. It would be nice if Ikea had a perfect fit but I'm not seeing anything appropriate there.

I'll probably go with something like in my picture. The bedframes will be made out of pine, and the structural part of the bunk would be made out of ash or birch or maple, something like that. I'll see what the local woodshop has. If I can't find any nice wood for a decent price maybe I'll go with your "wrap" idea, aardschok. Might have to get a table saw.

One nice thing is the room is almost a perfect fit for the bunk pictured above, so I can have it braced on three walls. I should be able to use that to help reduce wobble.
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM   #6
Bump Stop
2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer: 6,137
You can always hang it from the ceiling.
Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM   #7
configurationspace OP
delooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Stop View Post
You can always hang it from the ceiling.
If you read my original post, you would see no, I can not hang it from the ceiling.
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #8
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace View Post
If you read my original post, you would see no, I can not hang it from the ceiling.
Ah, c'mon. A little spackle and paint and no one would see the holes from the lag bolts.

That first design is really cool. Where is it from?

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM   #9
Bump Stop
2 Wheeled Drifter

Oddometer: 6,137
Quote:
in that case good luck, the only reason that designed is so minimal is because it uses the house structure. If it's not bolted to the wall that design is irrelevant.
Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM   #10
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 898
Since you need to go free standing it might be worth going with steel for the frame rather than wood...16ga. ERW tubing is cheap from a steel supplier and easy to work with. This would require a MIG welder but that would present a tool buying opportunity and a chance to gain some metal fabrication skills on a project that is simple enough for a beginning metal fabricator.
For the bigger wooden parts it is possible to get a good enough cut for many projects by using a Skil saw and some sort of guide (I use heavy angle iron clamped to the wood)...with careful setup the results can be good. In some cases this is easier and safer than trying to feed a big piece to a table saw.
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:12 AM   #11
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Since it has to be free standing, you'd do well to embrace the "Crate and Barrel" aesthetic. Explain it to your wife as Early American Dormitory period.

I built a couple two-bed lofts in college, and have built a simple single-bed loft for my son.
2x4 lumber doubled up makes excellent posts, and creates natural/easy lap-joints that ease construction and increase strength.

It can have a certain rustic charm. If it's for a kid's room, letting them decorate it can add to the fun of the project, and make it more "theirs".

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:04 AM   #12
Wudnabob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Is this design already ruled out ?
Old Today, 09:29 AM   #13
Gravetter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Build a standing frame around the entire room and then mount the bed to that frame. Thereby getting rid of any standing beams in the living/walking area of the room.

We did this in college and it worked out well.
Gravetter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:41 AM   #14
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,492
Quote:
I'm thinking about building a bunkbed for my kid. Nothing terribly elaborate, mainly I'm trying to free up some room by putting the bed up high. Having some room for family (and their kids) is a plus.

This design hits most of my soft and fuzzy parts:

The only issue I have with it is I'm renting so I'm not about to bolt the bed into the wall. So I'll have to put in some extra supports, which will knock down the aesthetics a bit but it'll still accomplish the job of having the beds up high and making floor space available.

Have you seen some other designs that accomplish a similar goal? A plus if one wouldn't need much more than a miter saw, drill and a router to build it...
Architect designed, I'm going to guess...
How is the outside corner of that upper bunk bed rail (and the bed, to a lesser degree) being held up? I see the ladder is a structural member with the bed being (poorly) cantilevered from it, but that bed rail corner isn't going to hold much more than itself, and that not very well. Unless it's made of tube steel.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote