Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #1786
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
this is new ground to me, I talked to the welder and stainless dealer and they recommend 304 or 316 for weld-ability 316 is commonly used for salt resistance 303 is not weldable

Any info posted will be considered

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #1787
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyk7 View Post
this is new ground to me, I talked to the welder and stainless dealer and they recommend 304 or 316 for weld-ability 316 is commonly used for salt resistance 303 is not weldable

Any info posted will be considered
my first choice for a flange would be 309.
#2 would be 409/409s
#3 would be 316/316l
ps: I dont know how close you are to Anniston, al. but the ultimate heat resistant S.S. is R.A. (rolled alloys) 330.
It is used in the incenerator.
It is really spendy, but if you could get some that has been sold to a salvage yard......All they will know is "they have some stainless" that came from the incenerator.

fxstbiluigi screwed with this post 02-15-2011 at 08:32 PM
fxstbiluigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #1788
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,082
I've been using 304 for exhaust apps for the last 15 years w/o any problems. Flanges, tubes and brackets, you name it. It's avaialble anywhere and is more than suited for the task at hand.

If your looking for the best heat resistance use Inconel. It's spendy and you need to use inconel filler rod (fillow wod) too.

.25" strapping is too thick for a flange tube. Just find some of similar wall thickness and roll/weld that.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #1789
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIsixfitty View Post

.25" strapping is too thick for a flange tube. Just find some of similar wall thickness and roll/weld that.
Ok you lost me on the flange The GSXR midpipe has a 3" x 3.5" flat mount plate that has a 2" hole in center and 4 holes for bolts that the muffler mount bolts to

The titanium flange is .25 thick

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #1790
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 2,082
don' follow me I'm lost too.

maybe I'm the one confused. flange tube vs flange plate may be the difference. red x y0.

Quote:
Ok you lost me on the flange The GSXR midpipe has a 3" x 3.5" flat mount plate that has a 2" hole in center and 4 holes for bolts that the muffler mount bolts to

The titanium flange is .25 thick

Old 02-18-2011, 05:22 AM   #1791
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,717
I am building a bracket to hold the headlight and intstrument cluster on my project bike. I would like to tack the bracket parts together while the bracket is on the bike to make sure everything lines up correctly.

I am using an AC stick welder to do it. If I disconnect the battery, can I do this without harming the bikes electrical system?

I have included a picture of the bracket in progress. I would just like to make a couple of tacks on each side where my hand is holding the piece, then to finish welding the parts.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #1792
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,651
Your electrical system will be fine but you should tack it somewhere away from the bike and then put it back up and bend it to fit. The sparks from welding might burn into the chrome on the forks tubes or burn through the insulation on the wiring.
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #1793
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,776
I weld on partially assembled bikes frequently. Protect your fork tubes, (and anything else that could be damaged by sparks) with a fire blanket. Unplug your CDI too. Clamp your ground as close to your work as possible to keep the current going through as few joints as possible; you really don't want current to be flowing through any bearing (like the head stock).
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #1794
nuggets
Fries with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
I weld on partially assembled bikes frequently. Protect your fork tubes, (and anything else that could be damaged by sparks) with a fire blanket. Unplug your CDI too. Clamp your ground as close to your work as possible to keep the current going through as few joints as possible; you really don't want current to be flowing through any bearing (like the head stock).
I went ahead and marked the parts, then tacked them off the bike. When I test fit them, everything was spot on. I am still working on the part, and will post a pic when done.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #1795
sillbeer
n00berific

Oddometer: 97
Hey,

Looking to buy a mig welder. On the local classifieds there is a Lincoln Power Mig 200 for $1000. Anyone have experience with this unit? I'm a welding noob. A few years ago I picked up a big Miller Tig unit and it was out of my league. I'm looking for something I can use in the garage and hopefully not grow out of. I would like to mess around with aluminum and steel. Will this unit do it?

Thanks,

-Destin
sillbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #1796
nuggets
Fries with that?

Here is the mostly finished bracket. I will still have to add some tabs for mounting the headlights and instrument cluster to it. The welds are fugly, but it is strong. Once it is mounted on the bike, I can put all of my weight on it and bounce up and down, and it does not move.

The metal came from a Total Gym Pro I found by the side of the road. If it is strong enough for Chucky Norris it should be strong enough for my headlights.

You can also see my little Cambell Hausfeld buzzbox in the pic.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #1797
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 2,008
Quote:
Ok i took my Muffler to a welding shop and they said no problem, now they say that can not weld it

Does anybody know what metal the pipe/muffler on a BMW F650GS is made of

I also have the flange from a 2005 GSXR 1000 mid pipe to weld to the original BMW pipe

What I am trying to do is cut the muffler off the BMW pipe then weld the flange from GSXr pipe to that and make a mid pipe I can use to bolt the GSXR can to

the welder thought both pipes were same metal

neither are magnetic

any Ideas?
If both pipes are stainless. Use an ER309LSi stainless wire to weld both. 309 is a very good wire for welding dissimular metals.

If the Suzuki pipe is Titanium you are probably screwed. I have never heard of welding Ti and stainless together. Sorry.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.

KTM640Dakar screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 07:42 PM
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #1798
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 2,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillbeer View Post
Hey,

Looking to buy a mig welder. On the local classifieds there is a Lincoln Power Mig 200 for $1000. Anyone have experience with this unit? I'm a welding noob. A few years ago I picked up a big Miller Tig unit and it was out of my league. I'm looking for something I can use in the garage and hopefully not grow out of. I would like to mess around with aluminum and steel. Will this unit do it?

Thanks,

-Destin
That is a great machine, buy it. The new ones are called Power MIG 215's.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #1799
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,665
I took a basic MIG class at a local welding supply place...it was enough to get my interest and influence the purchase of a machine and related gear.

Plan to get my hands on scrap steel and mess around to start getting used to it and developing a steady hand, and then take another class.

Not sure what starter projects could be...was thinking maybe a wood cart or something. From the experienced welders out there, what kinds of projects did you use to get started?
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #1800
Pablo83
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
I took a basic MIG class at a local welding supply place...it was enough to get my interest and influence the purchase of a machine and related gear.

Plan to get my hands on scrap steel and mess around to start getting used to it and developing a steady hand, and then take another class.

Not sure what starter projects could be...was thinking maybe a wood cart or something. From the experienced welders out there, what kinds of projects did you use to get started?
Make a rolling welding table.

This was one of the first things I made. It's a rolling welding/cutting table with a vise mount. It taught me a lot about fabrication. I've added bigger casters and folding handles so I can move it around the shop. It's all crooked. I keep thinking some day I'll fix it, but I never do. I use it almost every time I'm in the shop. I don't use the cutting potion of it very often, so if I built another one I would leave that off. The vise is invaluable.

Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote