Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 08:14 PM   #2026
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 2,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstbiluigi View Post
don't know anything about a dynasty 700.
depending on what you do, local welding shop that sees a lot of walk in, food processing, ect. can be really lax and propper procedure for an x-ray quality weld really isn't necessary because that level of quality isn't necessary. Food processing plants where every thing is either wet or greasy is a good example of JUST WELD THE DAMN THING.(stick the two pieces together).
Power Houses,be they coal fired or Nuc. , are another story where welding can make rocket science look simple. In a power house you can see steam pressures in excess of 1500 psi, hydraulic oil pressures around 4,000 psi. and piping that delivers hydrogen to the turbine/generator.
Welds that see that kind of pressure need to be done properly with no defects of any kind or they will fail, possibly causing injury or worse to anyone in the area, or damage to equipment or cause the plant to go off line at great expense to the owner.

I always wonder why they made such a high amperage machine but you can only get a 250 amp torch.

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #2027
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
don't know anything about a dynasty 700.
depending on what you do, local welding shop that sees a lot of walk in, food processing, ect. can be really lax and propper procedure for an x-ray quality weld really isn't necessary because that level of quality isn't necessary. Food processing plants where every thing is either wet or greasy is a good example of JUST WELD THE DAMN THING.(stick the two pieces together).
Power Houses,be they coal fired or Nuc. , are another story where welding can make rocket science look simple. In a power house you can see steam pressures in excess of 1500 psi, hydraulic oil pressures around 4,000 psi. and piping that delivers hydrogen to the turbine/generator.
Welds that see that kind of pressure need to be done properly with no defects of any kind or they will fail, possibly causing injury or worse to anyone in the area, or damage to equipment or cause the plant to go off line at great expense to the owner.
You can either weld or you can not.
It makes little difference what the job is.
Food processing plants have one of the highest standards given bacteria,so the welds are purged and must be perfect to eliminate nesting.
Perhaps there can be slight cosmetic differences in the cap but at the end of the day it comes back to being a welder by profession.

1500 psi steam pressure is nothing to write home about.
49 Sunbeam S7 Deluxe-57 TR6 Trophy-68 Huskys x 2-71 Commando Fastback-73 Ducati 750GT-73 Eldorado-74 TR5T x 2-74 Commando Roadster-73 and 74 H2A/B-77 and 81 900SD's-86 400WR-98 TL1000S x 2-08 DR780-07 Ducati HM 1100S
ADV8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #2028
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
You can either weld or you can not.
It makes little difference what the job is.
Food processing plants have one of the highest standards given bacteria,so the welds are purged and must be perfect to eliminate nesting.
Perhaps there can be slight cosmetic differences in the cap but at the end of the day it comes back to being a welder by profession.

1500 psi steam pressure is nothing to write home about.
And where did you encounter steam in the 1500 psi range?
fxstbiluigi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:10 PM   #2029
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,222
Quote:
And where did you encounter steam in the 1500 psi range?
oh yeah i may not be able to piss as far as you but i will get you with volume

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #2030
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzzly View Post
oh yeah i may not be able to piss as far as you but i will get you with volume
I asked a simple question. What kind of reply is this?
Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 AM   #2031
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar View Post
I always wonder why they made such a high amperage machine but you can only get a 250 amp torch.

I use SpeedWay High Performance torches they are rated at 450 amps, and I have run them at 500+ with no ill effects.

I will admit I don't use a standard capacity water cooler.

Even the small 20 series is rated at 320amps.

NitroAcres screwed with this post 05-25-2011 at 09:34 AM
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #2032
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Being in the welding trade for 20+ years it always cracks me up when welders talk to each other. Always trying to one up the other guy. Especially when it comes to pipe welders, no offense to anyone, I was also a pipe welder for years. They seem to act like their shit doesn't stink and tig is the most important thing in the world. I like to tig but I feel stick will always have its place. I have recently started to Pulse arc recently with 100s1 on HY100 for the torpedo tubes for Virginia Class Submarines and think it has its place but is kind of awkward on some applications. Here is a pic of the torpedo tube standing vertical. Note the size of the weld by the light hanging up next to it.
Attached Images

NHMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #2033
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 501
Man if you had a better fitter, you wouldn't have such a big gap to fill in..

How many passes is that exactly??

I failed a stick test for Westinghouse on HY80 material in 1979...didn't clean it well enough between passes during the overhead portion...got dinged for it.
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #2034
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroAcres View Post
Man if you had a better fitter, you wouldn't have such a big gap to fill in..

How many passes is that exactly??

I failed a stick test for Westinghouse on HY80 material in 1979...didn't clean it well enough between passes during the overhead portion...got dinged for it.
It was 3.5" thick and the cover pass took 24 welds. It had 200 degree preheat and a 300 degree interpass temp. every layer had to be cleaned perfectly and MT'd (Magnetic Tested) before I could go on to the next layer. It took about 2 weeks just to do the section in the picture. Thats only about 25% of it total.
Attached Images

NHMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #2035
pipeburn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
I'm wanting to weld some stainless sheet metal pretty soon, but have no idea how to do it. Should I buy a 2 pound spool of stainless for the mig, get some stainless rod and tig it, gas weld, or try to braze it? I'm best at wire feed, followed by brazing and gas welding; I've only used a Tig once, But I will fearlessly try if needed. And if I can't do it I know a guy that can.

I've also heard that you can use steel wire to weld stainless, but you're welds rust, and I can't have that on this project.
pipeburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #2036
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipeburn View Post
I'm wanting to weld some stainless sheet metal pretty soon, but have no idea how to do it. Should I buy a 2 pound spool of stainless for the mig, get some stainless rod and tig it, gas weld, or try to braze it? I'm best at wire feed, followed by brazing and gas welding; I've only used a Tig once, But I will fearlessly try if needed. And if I can't do it I know a guy that can.

I've also heard that you can use steel wire to weld stainless, but you're welds rust, and I can't have that on this project.
MIG and if you don't already have a bottle of 75/25 you'll need some of that too.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #2037
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,971
I occasionally do SS with my MIG, which I always run C25 gas in. Ideally you should switch to pure argon for SS, but C25 is still inert enough, although you will get some brown staining in the heat zone. I just hit it with a wire wheel and all is shiny again.

Some purists will say to switch liners and keep one just for SS to avoid contamination from a liner that has run copper clad mild steel wire. For all the SS work I've done (mostly motorcycle exhaust parts) it hasn't been a problem using the same original liner in the gun cable.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #2038
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,399
Laugh Beautiful

Gorgeous
Old 05-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #2039
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMatt View Post
It was 3.5" thick and the cover pass took 24 welds. It had 200 degree preheat and a 300 degree interpass temp. every layer had to be cleaned perfectly and MT'd (Magnetic Tested) before I could go on to the next layer. It took about 2 weeks just to do the section in the picture. Thats only about 25% of it total.
Did you get a pic of the finished weld?
Old 05-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #2040
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipeburn View Post

No braze with stainless, use silver solder instead (laps or Ts only). With silver solder you can't have any gaps. No gas welding of stainless either. Method used (Tig/Mig) to me would depend on the gauge of material, and the types of joints to be welded. A "T" fillet is easily Mig welded, butts or laps will leave a large bead, and would be better Tig welded IMO. Corners are easier Tig welded. The biggest problem with thinner gauge stainless is warping. Its not uncommon to have to tack every 1/4" on some joints due to warping.