Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #3646
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivel_86 View Post
Hopefully this has not been asked millions of times. I would like to get a good all around welder for my garage. I currently have a nice old (very old) lincoln buzz box stick welder 220. I also have a Lincoln flux core 110. I would like to have a good all around welder. One that will last like my buzz box has. It was my fathers and I am pretty sure he got it used. Either way I wont be using it a lot just went small project come up. Again sorry I am sure this question has been asked.

Also if you guys want I will nuke this question. I just finally got a decent garage that I can move about in and would like to get it set up right.
You have a good start. There is not much that cannot be done with what you have. Do you have good power? Are you looking for a bigger MIG welder? DC stick? TIG?

Can you convert the fluxcore to MIG (gas)? I have one of the very first Lincoln SP100. I still use it. Its one sweet machine.

I ASSume you have 50 amps 220 in your new improved garage.

David
Old 10-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #3647
ivel_86
Oops

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
You have a good start. There is not much that cannot be done with what you have. Do you have good power? Are you looking for a bigger MIG welder? DC stick? TIG?

Can you convert the fluxcore to MIG (gas)? I have one of the very first Lincoln SP100. I still use it. Its one sweet machine.

I ASSume you have 50 amps 220 in your new improved garage.

David
Yes I can convert the fluxcore to MIG (gas). But I wasn't sure if it would have the control that a built for gas MIG would have. I do have 220. I also have my torches and want to learn/practice brazing and welding with the torch. My father was super good with a welder. He taught me but I don't have near the skillz he (or you guys have)
Old 10-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #3648
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
With your torches and stick welder, you're already covered. All I had for 16 years was O/A, no 220 in the house. The torch handled all the small projects that came up. I didn't like using the bigger tips though, so my projects were limited to 3/16" thickness and smaller.

I asked the best weldor at the motorcycle shop which welder I should buy and I may have mentioned a wire feed. He looked at me like I was knutz. His main point was: "You'll get real tired of changing wire every time you switch base metals. You might only weld 2" alum and then 4" of steel and then back to alum: etc. There's no telling which metal you'll be welding next in a small shop environment."

I always wanted to be able to weld aluminum, so when I moved, I bought a new 1993 Miller Syncrowave 250, high tech at the time (and it came with a free stick welder, since both use a constant current power supply). I have never regretted buying much more welder than I'll ever be able to use, at the hobby level.

If, however, your idea of small projects is building a trailer or two, learn how to use that stick welder.

Ask David R about the Thermal Arc TIG welder he has.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #3649
ivel_86
Oops

I am an "ok" weder with the stick. Not the bestest but I sure can burn a bunch of holes and than get good at my grinding skills
I agree with what your saying. I need to learn to use the torches cause my father was magic with his. I remember him making me an exhaust header and manifold for an old Suzuki 185 I had.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #3650
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Sadly, the art of torch welding is fading into our past. It's too bad you didn't get a chance to learn from your Dad.

I have a friend who has no use for learning to weld, so I get asked to weld small parts on occasion. He has an older Snap-On TIG, but it doesn't have a pedal (TIG throttle control). He'll stare in amazement when I ask to use his torch set instead of the Snap-On TIG. And he will not believe that his TIG cannot weld alum (no AC).
Make no mistake, I am not pretending to be a weldor; those gentlemen are Magicians.

Yes, I can spell. Weldor is a person, welder is a machine:

Don't drop the welder on the weldor.

Quote:
Old 10-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #3651
ivel_86
Oops

Thank you for teaching me something new. I actually looked up the definition of "weldor" Thanks you.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #3652
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Old 10-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #3653
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Sadly, the art of torch welding is fading into our past. It's too bad you didn't get a chance to learn from your Dad.

I have a friend who has no use for learning to weld, so I get asked to weld small parts on occasion. He has an older Snap-On TIG, but it doesn't have a pedal (TIG throttle control). He'll stare in amazement when I ask to use his torch set instead of the Snap-On TIG. And he will not believe that his TIG cannot weld alum (no AC).
Make no mistake, I am not pretending to be a weldor; those gentlemen are Magicians.

Yes, I can spell. Weldor is a person, welder is a machine:

Don't drop the welder on the weldor.
Ok, now you're going to make me spend the rest of the night reading about torch welding and probably start practicing in the next few days. I got stick mig tig figured out pretty well, 6G x-ray and bend test quals on mild steel and stainless. Might as well start on something else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:59 AM   #3654
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Ok, now you're going to make me spend the rest of the night reading about torch welding and probably start practicing in the next few days. I got stick mig tig figured out pretty well, 6G x-ray and bend test quals on mild steel and stainless. Might as well start on something else.

If you can already TIG weld, then torch should come quite easily.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:30 AM   #3655
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
If you can already TIG weld, then torch should come quite easily.
I've been watching a few YouTube videos, it seems similar enough. Doubt I'll have time to start practicing until this weekend at least though. Too much overtime at the moment.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:27 AM   #3656
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 11,085
I've just been welding for a few months now. After a one-day intro course at the local technical college, I've been burning through wire and gas at a prodigious rate, running all manner of beads on scrap steel. I've gotten pretty good if I do say so myself. My beads are pretty and have good penetration.

I'm almost finished with a pair of frame sliders for my SUV, racing sunset in the driveway this evening when I ran out of wire. Well, I had picked up a little spool of flux-core weeks ago just to try, so dropped it into the machine. Yes, got the chipping hammer and wire brush handy.

Long story short, what a friggin' mess! Jeebus, splatter balls EVERYWHERE!!! Beads look like a drunk blind guy laid 'em down!

Quick trip to the interwebs, four minutes of YouTube later...

Oh, yeah...well, I'll be danged. It DOES look a lot better when you reverse the polarity!
Old 10-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #3657
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
We all have done that.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #3658
Sabre
Pręt? Allez!

Oddometer: 11,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
We all have done that.
Yup, and it's even MORE of a mess now that it's full daylight and I can really see the work!

Oh well, it's all part of this old dog's ongoing edumacation. Now it's off to the neighborhood hardware store for a bunch of new grinding wheels!

The best part of the evening was my next door neighbor coming over to see how I was progressing. He's an old hot rod guy, a motorhead from way back. This is the gem that he dropped on me just as he was leaving:

"Oh, by the way, I've got this plasma cutter and have never really figured it out. I should bring it over and maybe you could play with it."

Um, yeah, sounds good.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #3659
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
I always wanted to be able to weld aluminum, so when I moved, I bought a new 1993 Miller Syncrowave 250, high tech at the time (and it came with a free stick welder, since both use a constant current power supply). I have never regretted buying much more welder than I'll ever be able to use, at the hobby level.

That was 20 years ago. With a modern machine all I have to do is set down the MIG torch with steel wire and pick up the spool gun loaded with aluminum, start welding aluminum...no switches no nothing, just grab one or the other and weld. Dual bottles of course.

A modern MIG with a skilled operator completely takes the place of everything including a TIG unless you're welding Pepsi can bottoms together I never find a reason to have TIG at home and only use the TIG at work as a $9,000 stick welder.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #3660
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,228
Welding question...

I've got a 120v compact MIG. 75/25 gas. I've gotten half decent at joining some subframe tubes and attaching tabs and what not.

Next up is to attach shock mount clevis brackets that I bent up from 1/8" mild steel. They will attach to much thinner gauge subframe tubing (16 gauge...?)

I know how to join 1/8 plate -- use all the power my rig has. I know how to join 16g tube -- dial it back from "4" to "3".

But what is the best approach to join the one to the other? I need good penetration on those brackets...but I can't burn through the tubing.

Technique and setup advice....?

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote