Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #3736
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,389
About 7 years ago I did a job that included 164' vertical up 3/8" fillet. They were 4 foot gussets on a Cell tower. The job took about a week and many rolls of wire. When finished, I called the CWI and took an AWS 3G bare wire test. I passed and its the only cert I have. It has got me a few jobs. I am asked for it about once a year. I own a welding shop. I am NOT a rig welder. I make a living. Nothing more.

Saying I am a certified welder is like saying I am a Diesel Mechanic. Neither is important unless I can do the work. I have seen some 3G work done by a guy certified in 3F. It was absolutely terrible. Maybe he has the paper, but he is not a good weldor.

Around 41 I started switching from auto/truck mechanic to weldor. Both are good ways to make a living. I did this because my son took welding at boces and 2 years at Alfred State. He is now 22 and works with me.

Learn the skills. Learn as many process as you can. Don't breathe the fumes. Pass the wiz quiz

It took me about 5 years to become a good tig weldor.

Best of luck. Its a new adventure no matter how you look at it.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #3737
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
By all means, soapbox away.
I was not directing my soapbox right at you sorry if I offended. I had just got out of a 2hr meeting about personal when I happened to read your post.

good on you for getting training in a field that allows you to hit the ground running wherever your girlfriend drags you. hope she's hot, because the welding sparks that land on your nuts and your boots sure are!
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #3738
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
I was not directing my soapbox right at you sorry if I offended. I had just got out of a 2hr meeting about personal when I happened to read your post.

good on you for getting training in a field that allows you to hit the ground running wherever your girlfriend drags you. hope she's hot, because the welding sparks that land on your nuts and your boots sure are!
No offense taken. I'm pretty hard to insult. Besides, your soapbox-ing was pretty educational. Thanks for your insight. If you've got any more tips, don't hesitate to let me know.

Oh and she is hot, and no, I won't show you pictures.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #3739
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,189
this is all entertaining for me, because my employer LOVES sheepskin qualifications. im not sure how a degree in marine biology would make a better cop, but when I compete for a promotion, id be better off if i had a bachelors degree. I like to tell them "but I got a welding certification... in alaska, in 1995!. And I have 14 years on the street, as a cop. which am I better at?"

Sometimes I would love to be a welder. Go for it! do what it takes to learn how to do it well, and the certifications will probably just come from the training.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #3740
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,885
Alright, my turn for a question.

After a few years of lots of MIG work, I'm about a month into teaching myself to TIG. I've noticed the Forney auto darkening helmet that always worked marvelously for my MIG work isn't cutting it with the TIG. I don't know if it's just getting old (internal battery shitting out), isn't sensitive enough, doesn't have enough sensors, or what, but when welding, it only stays dark about 75-80% of the time without flashing. No flash burns yet, but it makes it very hard to lay a good bead.

What do I look for in a decent (read; not overly expensive) helmet for TIG'ing? Any specific models to look for? A new helmet is on my Xmas list, but I need to tell the fiance what make/model to get, less she buy me a non-auto helmet with flames on it
Old 11-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #3741
David R

Anya cheap helmet I have used flickers with TIG. I use a miller Elite, there are many others.

David
Old 11-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #3742
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,123
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3305

If you have a Northern Tool nearby, or will buy other tools to save on shipping, I can recommend the helmet in the link. You can spend much more and considerably less for a helmet. Good luck!
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #3743
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan_R80/7 View Post
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=3305

If you have a Northern Tool nearby, or will buy other tools to save on shipping, I can recommend the helmet in the link. You can spend much more and considerably less for a helmet. Good luck!
x2 one of these suited my budget so I bought one after Stan's recommendation & I've done a good few hrs behind it now. I really like it. I had to do a minor bodge on the headgear to get it sitting right but otherwise it's been great. The big window is a real nice thing to have.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #3744
rotarywing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I got 25 welders on staff, all on Lincoln equipment - great stuff
rotarywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #3745
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotarywing View Post
I got 25 welders on staff, all on Lincoln equipment - great stuff
Almost all of my welding machines are red. I still look through a Miller helmet. I have a Lincoln Vista as a back up.

David
Old 11-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #3746
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Anybody ever used this helmet? 3 sensors, TIG rated down to 5 amps, solar charging AND a backup battery, for $112. The delay is 1/15000, but I think that will work just fine, and I the manual on/off doesn't bother me. It just becomes part of my welder/bottle on/off procedure.

http://store.cyberweld.com/miweheblclse.html

The NI helmet is the other major contender, thanks Stan!
Old 11-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #3747
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post

After a few years of lots of MIG work, I'm about a month into teaching myself to TIG. I've noticed the Forney auto darkening helmet that always worked marvelously for my MIG work isn't cutting it with the TIG. I don't know if it's just getting old (internal battery shitting out), isn't sensitive enough, doesn't have enough sensors, or what, but when welding, it only stays dark about 75-80% of the time without flashing. No flash burns yet, but it makes it very hard to lay a good bead.

What do I look for in a decent (read; not overly expensive) helmet for TIG'ing? Any specific models to look for? A new helmet is on my Xmas list, but I need to tell the fiance what make/model to get, less she buy me a non-auto helmet with flames on it
Quote:
Anybody ever used this helmet? 3 sensors, TIG rated down to 5 amps, solar charging AND a backup battery, for $112. The delay is 1/15000, but I think that will work just fine, and I the manual on/off doesn't bother me. It just becomes part of my welder/bottle on/off procedure.

http://store.cyberweld.com/miweheblclse.html

The NI helmet is the other major contender, thanks Stan!
if your going to be welding a decent amount for the foreseeable future you might as well pony up the extra 200 or so bucks from the hundred you want to spend now and get a real welding helmet. I have had my Jackson safety 3n1 for a little over 10 years now and it shows no signs of stopping and it has not led the nicest life. best part is you can grind/torch/weld all with one helmet and the push of a button.

the flip up in your second post is ok but its no Jackson or high end miller and it still don't have the torch setting.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #3748
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:

For TIG I prefer a huntsman fiber hood with a non auto large lens. I'm possibly the only person on this forum that prefers a non auto hood, but It works for me. I like auto helmets for MIG but as I've aged and progressed to wearing bifocal glasses I have had problems seeing when TIG welding. I've tried the insert readers and they help, but when I dug out my old huntsman it was so much easier to see with that huge 4" x5"" lens. Much easier than trying to juggle a pair of readers and a pair of bifocals in the shop.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #3749
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by redprimo View Post
For TIG I prefer a huntsman fiber hood with a non auto large lens. I'm possibly the only person on this forum that prefers a non auto hood, but It works for me. I like auto helmets for MIG but as I've aged and progressed to wearing bifocal glasses I have had problems seeing when TIG welding. I've tried the insert readers and they help, but when I dug out my old huntsman it was so much easier to see with that huge 4" x5"" lens. Much easier than trying to juggle a pair of readers and a pair of bifocals in the shop.
Me too. Love the large viewing area and I'm just so used to flipping the hood down with a nod of my head that it feels odd not to do it.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #3750
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprimo View Post
Like most, I started with a non-auto hood, and will NEVER do that again. I gave my last one away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
if your going to be welding a decent amount for the foreseeable future you might as well pony up the extra 200 or so bucks from the hundred you want to spend now and get a real welding helmet. I have had my Jackson safety 3n1 for a little over 10 years now and it shows no signs of stopping and it has not led the nicest life. best part is you can grind/torch/weld all with one helmet and the push of a button.

the flip up in your second post is ok but its no Jackson or high end miller and it still don't have the torch setting.
I have no need for a torch setting, and HATE grinding with a helmet on, goggles only for that kinda stuff.

I'm thinking about stepping up to around the $200 range, but no more. I weld fairly frequently (a few times a week usually) but don't have the $ for a more expensive helmet.

I have 2 interviews/welding tests coming up next week, one at my current employer, and one at another place. I'll be taking my Forney in as my work helmet, and spending a bit more for my at-home helmet. I suppose if the new position pays well enough, I may drop $300 on a helmet as a congratulations to myself, otherwise, less than $200 is a must.