ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
dozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dozer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: slc ut
Oddometer: 337
Akrapovic/FMF Shadetree Spark Arrestor

Here is how I added FMF spark arresort to my 950 Akrapovic pipes. The FMF spark arrestors slide right in to the Akros once the baffles are removed, however I had to elongate the holes rearward by about 3mm in the Akros to make them work.

FMF Spark arrestor






FMF to Akro baffle comparison


FMF spark arrestor installed in Akros


Installed with bolt and locknut


Is this a USFS approved spark arrestor? I don't know, but the FMF's have Spark arrestor stamped right on them, and the screen is totally obvious.
The noise level is quiter than the uncorked Akros but louder than with the baffels in, over all they sound good, loud but not to loud.
dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
ApexMolester
george of the jungle
 
ApexMolester's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: monterey ca
Oddometer: 135
not legal

can't be a "home-built" system.

how would you feel when your told "park it" by a smart ranger when found 20 miles deep playing in the national forest.
ApexMolester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:16 AM   #3
multimoto
Gnarly Adventurer
 
multimoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexMolester
can't be a "home-built" system.

how would you feel when your told "park it" by a smart ranger when found 20 miles deep playing in the national forest.
Hey Steve,

Rode your Tuono all day Saturday. My stepdad Larry bought it from you. He is running it at Fontana this Fri.

JOsh
__________________
2013 BMW R1200GS Triple Black - last of the oil heads
2014 KTM 350 EXC-F
2014 Ducati Streetfighter 848
[Member - Stewards of the Sequoia]
multimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:00 AM   #4
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer
 
MookieBlaylock's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: IntheeaglewingpalaceoftheQueenChinee
Oddometer: 2,581
that is sweet... rangers will totally leave you alone with that,, I've never been hassled without spark arrestors and i think it's probably a ticket anyway-they dont like the 100 decibels though
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
zugy
My brother wheeling SXC
 
zugy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: So. California
Oddometer: 192
Tour of Akro

I'm lucky enough to be getting a tour of the Factory next week. In my tour I will do my best to get them to make U.S.Forestry Approved stamped mufflers for the lc4 and lc8. I think they just don't get it here in Slovenia. Everything is so damp and green. I will hopefully get some photos.
zugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that
 
RumRunner's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Great White North
Oddometer: 4,311
That's what I've been talk'n 'bout

DW
__________________
I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where.
RumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:23 AM   #7
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer
 
AFekete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Oddometer: 3,208
Spark arrestors..

The info I have...

Every spark arrestor that is submitted for approval is fully documented and these documents are sent to every ranger station in the US. The stamp of approval means that the mufflers that are being looked at are in the "approved" book. If they want to bust some balls all the rangers need to do is open the book and check the manufacture specs that was submitted with the request for testing. If your muffler is not in that book, open your wallet.

Home made spark arrestors can be effective and it's certainly better then nothing however my guess is that if you catch the rangers on a bad day, they can make thigns very difficult for you. It's thier job to do the best they can to keep all the land from going up in smoke and to protect our riding areas.

The process for approval is knee deep in red tape and requires $$ and time. Ask me how I know

However it is for the common good..

thanks,
Andrew
AFekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #8
cpmodem
Orange Caveman
 
cpmodem's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
Oddometer: 7,103
So ... this begs the queation:

Are the OEM cans in the "Book?"
__________________

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:38 AM   #9
dozer OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dozer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: slc ut
Oddometer: 337
Good day Andrew and Mr. Molester

I some what agree with what your saying, but the spark arrestor is not home made, it is an FMF spark arrestor with make and model # stamped on the housing. The installation is improvised. It is my uderstanding that the spark arrestor must be USFS approved not necessarily the muffler.

Link to Spark Aresstor info http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/0...04.htm#Muffler

Info from above link
Spark Arrester or Muffler, How To Tell the Difference?
Spark arresters must include a way to remove the trapped carbon. Most GP arresters have a cleanout plug, and MSE spark arresters have a means to clean out the scr

een. Spark arresters must also have a brand name and model name. Once a device is identified as a spark arrester, it is then determined whether it is qualified. Labels such as “USDA Forest Service Approved!” do not make the arrester qualified. The USDA Forest Service only requires the manufacturer to label the spark arresters by make and model. MSE spark arresters are qualified with the power unit. Due to the small size of the spark arrester, it is difficult to label the units with the complete exhaust system number and the brand name. The manufacturers are only required to have the labels on the power unit itself.
Spark Arrester Guide
The Spark Arrester Guide is the only authoritative industry source for information on qualified spark arresters for use on internal combustion engines. Use the guide when identifying qualified spark arresters. If the spark arrester number appears in the guide, then SDTDC has evaluated the arrester.

There are two volumes to the guide: General Purpose and Locomotive, Volume 1, and Multiposition Small Engine, Volume 2. A revision of the guide is published every year. Therefore, each volume is published every 2 years. An online guide, updated every quarter, is available on the USDA Forest Service Intranet at http://www.fsweb.sdtdc.wo.fs.fed.us. It is a searchable database that allows the user to make powerful searches.


The Link two lines up is a USFS intranet link and doesn't work

I am wating for a reply from FMF as to the USFS approval status of the Factory 4.1/4C Spark Aresstor.
dozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #10
AFekete
Beastly Adventurer
 
AFekete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Oddometer: 3,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
Are the OEM cans in the "Book?"
The OEM cans do not contain a USFS approved spark arrestor however they do have a US (I'm not sure what dept approves them) approved catalytic converter which is considered a spark arrestor.

-A
AFekete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #11
cpmodem
Orange Caveman
 
cpmodem's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFekete
The OEM cans do not contain a USFS approved spark arrestor however they do have a US (I'm not sure what dept approves them) approved catalytic converter which is considered a spark arrestor.

-A
And the the mean ol' Rangers will leave those of us with OEM "blast furnaces" alone to melt the forest at will. I'm relieved to hear that. I was afraid they were wasting our tax money doing inconsiquential things.
__________________

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #12
ApexMolester
george of the jungle
 
ApexMolester's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: monterey ca
Oddometer: 135
hey there josh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by multimoto
Hey Steve,

Rode your Tuono all day Saturday. My stepdad Larry bought it from you. He is running it at Fontana this Fri.

JOsh
i miss that bike

it went to a very nice person who just happens to be your dad. so how did saturday treat the tuono? i hope it still puts grins on one's face

that bike was a monster with the 100mm piston motor i built. that motor is still running today in a race bike that races every month at willowsprings.

tell your dad i said hello, and to have a grand track day!
ApexMolester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #13
ApexMolester
george of the jungle
 
ApexMolester's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: monterey ca
Oddometer: 135
as i understand the code, the bike as mfg'd should be fine without any mods at all tot he exhaust system. same would go for any of the dual-sports sold today.

i ride my ktm 950 at hollister hills OHV park here in california, and it has been checked at the gate by the complete ranger staff during all of last year with the oem exhaust. they have come to now me on a 1st name basis, and don't even look to see that i have akra's now which are not USFS spark arested.

if they new i changed my exhaust, i could not enter the park's trail system. the main road(s) i could ride in on and thats it.
ApexMolester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #14
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam
 
cyborg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Oddometer: 4,959
I'm wondering how many people have actually had enforcement look at them out on the trail? I would be surprised if Rangers looked hard at large bikes like the 950/990. For example I've seen lots of LC4s roving around trails without spark arrestors and around Rangers and never get looked at.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #15
ApexMolester
george of the jungle
 
ApexMolester's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: monterey ca
Oddometer: 135
you can't take parts from a compliant system and add it to a non-compliant system to make that new system USFS compliant.

as andrew stated above, it's a huge costly process.

outstanding effort imo!!

as
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer
Good day Andrew and Mr. Molester

I some what agree with what your saying, but the spark arrestor is not home made, it is an FMF spark arrestor with make and model # stamped on the housing. The installation is improvised. It is my uderstanding that the spark arrestor must be USFS approved not necessarily the muffler.

Link to Spark Aresstor info http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/0...04.htm#Muffler

Info from above link
Spark Arrester or Muffler, How To Tell the Difference?
Spark arresters must include a way to remove the trapped carbon. Most GP arresters have a cleanout plug, and MSE spark arresters have a means to clean out the scr

een. Spark arresters must also have a brand name and model name. Once a device is identified as a spark arrester, it is then determined whether it is qualified. Labels such as “USDA Forest Service Approved!” do not make the arrester qualified. The USDA Forest Service only requires the manufacturer to label the spark arresters by make and model. MSE spark arresters are qualified with the power unit. Due to the small size of the spark arrester, it is difficult to label the units with the complete exhaust system number and the brand name. The manufacturers are only required to have the labels on the power unit itself.
Spark Arrester Guide
The Spark Arrester Guide is the only authoritative industry source for information on qualified spark arresters for use on internal combustion engines. Use the guide when identifying qualified spark arresters. If the spark arrester number appears in the guide, then SDTDC has evaluated the arrester.

There are two volumes to the guide: General Purpose and Locomotive, Volume 1, and Multiposition Small Engine, Volume 2. A revision of the guide is published every year. Therefore, each volume is published every 2 years. An online guide, updated every quarter, is available on the USDA Forest Service Intranet at http://www.fsweb.sdtdc.wo.fs.fed.us. It is a searchable database that allows the user to make powerful searches.


The Link two lines up is a USFS intranet link and doesn't work

I am wating for a reply from FMF as to the USFS approval status of the Factory 4.1/4C Spark Aresstor.
ApexMolester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014