Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2007, 10:20 PM   #136
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT
Just a thought. The stock sheild is way out front and straight up and down. I noticed on my pals WeeStrom the noise wasn't near as bad. Is it possible that if you angled the shield more on an angle towards the rider, it would become quieter, my main concern. Only way around it now is to cut down the stocker right down to the dash. Not sure how to try this.
Is not so Easy..

On one of my GS's...

I even have a adjustable windscreen that can be move on the fly by ussing this bicycle rapidfire shifter, so you can play with the optimal angle at any speed.

On the other end this old derreileur move it into place, is very rudimentary but actually works really well.

What I'm trying to say, is that even with the avility to move the windscreen, the choice of angle selection Is FAR FROM Logical and depends in far more variables than just a "ANgle".

*Like Loads (in the back of the bike)
*tank paanier, mirrors.
*the overall shape of the front end, *the amount of "Suck in" generated by the dormant air at the back of the windscreen.

and the ovius like speed and many other factors far to complex for me to understand or at least put on words.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:18 PM   #137
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Okay this time i did it "Right"

well with what i have ....

I decide to bend the sides of the "kicker" screen for two reasons..

*To channel the air upwards.
*to provide another support point for a four pair of bolts.

So i took my fancy heatgun a pair of block of delrin and thermoform the shapes i was looking for.

First bend

I end up making a "Step"

i decide to cut some of the "Kicker" screen, more than anything to make it a little prettier

Cut a half moon shape, mimicating the curv of the dash

Before cuttting the parts I just bend.

After.

Sadlly the screen is all broken in pieces.

So I FibreGlassed to make it a little stronger, also notice the heads of the two bicycle chainring bolts.

This is the same but from the front side, the Long "NUt" is from a downhill chainguide about 16MM long, the lower one is your typical chainring "Nut" about 7MM total.

Detail of the NUt, the chainring bolt head is on the underside of the scren since is so flat, fits perfectlly.

I also decide to not use the stupid "Mushroom" rubber things and replace they with what else

yes..... Chainring Bolts

I figure a Exelent way to use the stock KTM 4MM bolts.

I use Aluminum chainring bolts and I Tap a 4mm x one tread on them, now the whole element acts like a unit, Very clean, but also very strong.

I don't really Like the black, but the screen was much to broken to try to keep it translucent, Oh well

I wet that bike like crazy and when for a Mini ride to see WERE the Drops of water will fight, somehow a good hint of the Airflow.

I like It

I like It a Lot...

The angle is not that much diferent, at least does not look that diferent.

On two side notes, since I was ussuing Epoxi resin I decide to fix the BuBBuuu on My Big twin CrasH guard.

And may as well work a Little More and made my own Carbon fibre Clutch guard (I really wish I have some Kevlar)

Well that is what I did Today, so far I think is a great Improvement Even with the Beak on XD Helmet, the noice, turbulence and cavitation were a lot less noticiable, to bad is not really a way to measure this accuratelly...

Oh for FYI..

I'm 184cms tall with a extremlly long torzo (like if I was 6,5") riding on one of james seats a little higher than stock.

Ricardo Kuhn screwed with this post 05-30-2007 at 11:47 PM
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:19 AM   #138
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

What happend....

Did the Simplisity of the solution discorage you..

Do you want me to make in Carbon fibre or much more complicated.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #139
Hambone950
Mas Naranjas Por Favor!

Oddometer: 676
Bending Polycarbonate: Screen benders

http://www.plasticsmachining.com/mag...carbonate.html

On my third windscreen. 10 cm lower, reverse lip, TT dual XE screen ordered. I am first to order in US (woohoo...hmmm)
Found this link whilst daydreaming.
Looks fairly challenging to get the heat where required for drape forming in some kind of oven without building a large former. Can be done with some local heating but a little difficult to control.
Anyhow just messing about with the old screen and am going to give it a try.
H
Old 06-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #140
scottr OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Just Have to Test Fly It Now
Attached Images

scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:04 AM   #141
scottr OP
Banned

Its Not So Bad ... looking
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #142
RXV_Poor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Thumb

Quote:
scottr, looking forward to your report.
07 KTM 525EXC
07 Aprilia RXV 550
AMA, BLC, D36, IMBA, STM
Disclaimer:

I'm impulsive, hard headed and sometimes really stupid. Please do not take anything I say or do as a "correct thing" or a "fix" as it could be harmful to your wallet or person.
RXV_Poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #143
scottr OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXV_Poor
scottr, looking forward to your report.
I'm afraid its not good. The screen blocks a lot of air. So much I cut short my ride. Got hot and I had a mesh jacket on you can see through. But the loud turbulent air at my head was horrendous. Going back to chopped screen. Total waste of money. Unless naca ducts can save it. I don't really feel like doing all that work for an experiment though. Going back to almost naked.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #144
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr
I'm afraid its not good. The screen blocks a lot of air. So much I cut short my ride. Got hot and I had a mesh jacket on you can see through. But the loud turbulent air at my head was horrendous. Going back to chopped screen. Total waste of money. Unless naca ducts can save it. I don't really feel like doing all that work for an experiment though. Going back to almost naked.
Not good news. Mine just shipped today. How tall are you? Oh, and what seat do you use (that affects one's height on the bike). Others have had more positive reports.

Chopped screen not an option for me. I need to cut it near dashboard height to get rid of the noise, then the wind resistance on the highway makes my back hurt. This all kind of sucks.

Maybe we need one of those electric height adjustable screens.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #145
scottr OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrider
Not good news. Mine just shipped today. How tall are you? Oh, and what seat do you use (that affects one's height on the bike). Others have had more positive reports.

Chopped screen not an option for me. I need to cut it near dashboard height to get rid of the noise, then the wind resistance on the highway makes my back hurt. This all kind of sucks.

Maybe we need one of those electric height adjustable screens.

I'm 6'2" and my Renazco seat puts me up about an inch. I pretty much have decided that no screen and tylenol/aspirin/aleve is the way to go.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #146
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
I'm 6'2" and my Renazco seat puts me up about an inch. I pretty much have decided that no screen and tylenol/aspirin/aleve is the way to go.
I'm 5'10" and have my choice between stock and low gel seat, so there's a chance in hell this might work for me. If it doesn't I'm going back to a stock screen with about 5 holes drilled in it, plus the best earplugs I can find. Mine should arrive in a few days. Wish me luck. I've got 2000 miles of slab planned this summer and I don't want to come back deaf.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 01:15 PM   #147
Hambone950
Mas Naranjas Por Favor!

Oddometer: 676
My Eyes!

Quote:
Your bike looks like an Ariel Leader on RAC duty with that spitfire screen.
Actually you look well sorted. Have a great trip.
H
Old 06-10-2007, 06:42 AM   #148
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,804
scottr!

Thanks for the report even if its not what we were hoping for. Part of the solution believe it or not is putting in your ear plugs properly and having the best you can find. At work I wear dual hearing protection on my 12 hour shifts for my poor ringing ears. Thats foam plugs and headphones at the same time. So I've tried all the different plugs I can find. Most guys I see riding big bikes now wear some kind of plugs. The 950A is especially bad for wind noise. A little free advice from a guy who's been there:" Only wear foam plugs once or twice before replacing them." So for sure new plugs everyday, minimum. They very quickly loose their ability to seal well. Roll them up a few times and their toast. Also when inserting, hold them in for 10 seconds before letting go. Your ear naturally wants to expel them. Make sure they go in straight down the canal and don't fold over going in. If you have to screw around a half dozen time trying to get them in properly, replace them. I see guys using the same plugs for days. Big mistake! Anyhow, I've found the best foam plugs for me to be Radians. They only have a NRR of 29 on the package but work better for me than all others with higher ratings. A buddy of mine tried them and didn't like them cause he couldn't hear what rpm his 650 single was running at. Too quiet, he said.
Foam plugs are cheap so carry lots with you. If you must use them more than once keep them in a 35mm film cannister. Works well. Sorry for the rant but if I can keep one rider from getting tinitus or ringing of the ears 24/7 for the rest of their lives, it was worth it.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:42 AM   #149
idahoskiguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,105
Did 300 miles of slab and mountains roads two-up yesterday with the 16" Cee-Bailey KTM#2 windscreen. Can report that the Cee-Bailey is much better than the stock screen but not as quiet as clean air or the screen trimmed level with the fairing. Still the buffeting is bad above 60 mph and horrible above 80 mph. Also quit wearing the XD and that helped a bunch.
idahoskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:14 AM   #150
scottr OP
Banned

Thanks Red Cat,
You are definitely right about the ear trying to kick the plugs back out. I give them a little push back down as they expand.

I buy my foam plugs in the 100 pack. I recently learned how to actually work them. Read the directions. Who'd a thunk! I roll a fresh plug with clean fingers ... reach around behind by head with the off hand .... pull on my ear lobe with that hand, which straightens out the ear canal .... and slip the plug about half or three quarter way down the chute. This is the only way foam plugs actually work.

I don't reuse em at all.

I too wish folks would listen to us about tinitus. Too bad they just won't ponder for a sec or two just what it might be like to never again be able to enjoy silence. I hear folks say something like, "Wow, its so quiet out here." when they leave the city and come out to my place in the country. .... Just a distant memory for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT
Thanks for the report even if its not what we were hoping for. Part of the solution believe it or not is putting in your ear plugs properly and having the best you can find. At work I wear dual hearing protection on my 12 hour shifts for my poor ringing ears. Thats foam plugs and headphones at the same time. So I've tried all the different plugs I can find. Most guys I see riding big bikes now wear some kind of plugs. The 950A is especially bad for wind noise. A little free advice from a guy who's been there:" Only wear foam plugs once or twice before replacing them." So for sure new plugs everyday, minimum. They very quickly loose their ability to seal well. Roll them up a few times and their toast. Also when inserting, hold them in for 10 seconds before letting go. Your ear naturally wants to expel them. Make sure they go in straight down the canal and don't fold over going in. If you have to screw around a half dozen time trying to get them in properly, replace them. I see guys using the same plugs for days. Big mistake! Anyhow, I've found the best foam plugs for me to be Radians. They only have a NRR of 29 on the package but work better for me than all others with higher ratings. A buddy of mine tried them and didn't like them cause he couldn't hear what rpm his 650 single was running at. Too quiet, he said.
Foam plugs are cheap so carry lots with you. If you must use them more than once keep them in a 35mm film cannister. Works well. Sorry for the rant but if I can keep one rider from getting tinitus or ringing of the ears 24/7 for the rest of their lives, it was worth it.