Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #1516
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops Motorsports View Post
This is true.
However they do make a difference, so does a few holes..who cares if thats not the specific use of the duct??. I like the duct so that a bunch of rain does not come threw the screen.I also think it looks cool.

Yeah, they do look cool. Just wanted to share that it wasn't necessarily the NACA aspect that was making things better.

Any hole that will relieve the low pressure behind the screen is what makes the difference. Whether that hole is at the bottom, the top or in the middle, getting some airflow behind to meet the air roiling over the top is what changes things for the better.

I've been riding mostly with the OEM screen and the Aeroguards and have experienced no buffeting. The noise level is high enough to require earplugs though.

When I use the Aeroflow screen and Aeroguards it is a very quiet envelope to sit in, with just a little buffeting. On long trips that is my preference. That screen does a great job of getting a lot of air coming up from behind, but it isn't as pretty as OEM alone, or many of the modified OEM-style screens.

For long days in the saddle its function over form for me. Hundreds of miles, day after day, the fatigue of the noise and the effect of wind jostling my helmet will take their toll and make the trip that much less pleasurable. I always use protection when having that kind of marathon fun!

The rest of the time I'll be riding with the OEM + Aeroguards + earplugs, still a comfortable ride with the helmet in the wind for a few hundred mile day trips and commuting.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 AM   #1517
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbarnes1 View Post
This adjustability kinda reminds of the Britannia Composites screen I've been considering for the DRZ.

The sliding mechanism allows this screen to adjust up and down, while letting the much needed airflow behind the screen for highway runs.

Thought I'd toss it out there in case you might find the design of the slider an interesting addition to ponder. This allows the rider to drop the screen for dirt work and raise the screen for highway travel, all with a couple of thumbscrews or wing-nuts.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #1518
Chrisbarnes1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
screens

Nice mechanism--but almost impossible as a hobby product. Ref my carbon screen on the blue 990 my thought was that once you had decided on position the dual lock pads can be fixed--and then you can add or remove the screen as required--its the sort of shape that will fit in a backpack--and you have your own carbon spine protector, or sand shovel etc !!!--The basic shape would probably adapt to other screens if required--but its early days and it needs to be trialled--agree on an air sheet to fill the void--and also stop air tumbling in--hence a good gap and significant overlap helps.
CB
Chrisbarnes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:28 PM   #1519
dheimer
Burnin' fossil fuels

Oddometer: 195
Carbon screen

Attached the screen from Darryl at Cyclops Motorsports. I FRIGGIN love this thing! I am from a sport bike back ground and at 5'10 have never had much buffeting issue with the stock screen. I am taking this on a long trip next week and can speak more to it, but around town love it.

another pic;

Glacier ride report-http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812193

dheimer screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 11:43 PM
dheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #1520
dheimer
Burnin' fossil fuels

Cyclopsmotorsports windscreen

I have been on the road for the past 2 days all over Idaho. I have hit speeds unmentionable here, and I still love this screen. Of course everybody is going to vary based on height, helmet youre using, and any number of other factors, but it seems to work for me......and just looks, in my opinion, dead sexy!

Old 06-05-2012, 05:48 AM   #1521
Schleprock
Let's Do This!

Oddometer: 111
Is that thing in production. I don't see it on their website. I'd like to try it.
Schleprock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #1522
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
Is that thing in production. I don't see it on their website. I'd like to try it.
Thanks dheimer Im glad you are liking the screen. It does look sweet. I need to get going on the short version.
I dont know that they will ever be on our site, maybe once we add several more Cf parts. please Pm for info
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #1523
dheimer
Burnin' fossil fuels

Screen

Still interested in the short one as well. Let me know when done, and how much shorter it is. I can't wait to see that one too.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #1524
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860

I have been using this design for years and I would not go back to the rally fairing unless I wanted to protect a bunch of rally charts and GPS stuff and ride standing up

at high speed I have a perfect dead zone of air in front of my chest, and if I reach up I can feel the airflow over my head

the rally fairing is nothing but swirling chaos

Old 06-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #1525
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,297
Short screen...

I love the look of the Cyclops screen, but call me fickle... I love having visability out of the front of my bike through a translucent screen. I often find myself on long stretches at higher speeds... just tucking and I don't like being blocked out of my forward vision with a solid screen. I also don't like the standard height of the stock windscreen where, when I'm at all tucking... the top of the screen is across my eyeline. I'd love the screen 2-3 inches shorter, and translucent. And of course I love the concept of the Cyclops vents... they look like they work well to shed off air direction going downward behind the screen. I'm not sure how they "actually" work. But they do look the part.

Moose racing offers a stubby screen.. the five inch shorter version. I've contacted them to see if they could offer a 2.5 inch shorter screen in translucent smoke, still waiting for their response. I also asked if they could outsource translucent Orange and translucent Blue for screens in the 2.5 inch shorter versions.

No response yet.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #1526
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustodust View Post
I have been using this design for years...at high speed I have a perfect dead zone of air in front of my chest, and if I reach up I can feel the airflow over my head...

Looks nice, too. How tall are you, inseam, etc, and where did you buy the screen?

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #1527
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Looks nice, too. How tall are you, inseam, etc, and where did you buy the screen?

1911fan
I am 6'1 and am able to use that Arai VXpro dirt helmet for long distance hi speed
of course its not like riding in a car but 110% better than being in that swirling drag of a straight up rally fairing, with the added bonus of being out of the way off road, no intimidating guillotine constantly nipping at your neck

I fabricated the fairing screen myself by making a mold and vacuum bagging a composite carbon fiber impregnated with west systems epoxy , 3 layers of .006 twil graphite compressed to a low resin ratio
Old 06-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #1528
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:

I like the idea. If I were to make one from a stock screen like your original, how much do I cut off the top and how far back do I bend it? Thanks for sharing :)
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #1529
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,812
Quote:
I fabricated the fairing screen myself by making a mold and vacuum bagging a composite carbon fiber impregnated with west systems epoxy , 3 layers of .006 twil graphite compressed to a low resin ratio
There's a market for them.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #1530
Flyin Phil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
Just wanted to add my personal experience to this hotly debated topic. For a baseline, I'm 6'4", 36" inseam.

If you don't read this whole long winded post, I'll start with one note: remove your stock or similar profile mirrors and go for a mixed ride, you might be surprised.

Now the long version...

Started with a bone stock 990R. Put 6k on it in the fall, dreading highway as much for head bob as general boredom. With the bike in stock config, the visor on my mx helmet buzzed and droned above 115kph, and my head bobbled around at anything over 90. Both of these were worse with a passenger.Over the winter I made a bunch of changes, only 2 of which I can see affecting the dreaded helmet buffeting.

1st was the big safari tanks. I doubt these account for much, but they do have a slightly different profile, so it's not impossible.

2nd, and much more likely, was the addition of the HDB guards and folding mirrors.

When I pulled the bike out in spring and tested it, I was pleasantly surprised to find my helmet buffeting to have drastically improved. I had planned to experiment with several windscreen mods over the summer, but found that it was now a non issue.

With the removal of the tall stock mirrors, I could ride all day without any visor buzz and no head bob unless I was in already turbulent air (high cross winds or pulling up behind/meeting an oncoming truck on the highway).

The Rally Raid screen I had ordered months ago (before I had realized how well the bike worked now) finally got out of backorder and showed up, and only made it better. I then added my 2.5" over renazco seat, and things got better yet. But I'd say the winter's mods (mirrors, mostly) were responsible for 80% of the change, the seat and windscreen made up the last 20% only. Noticeable, but not drastic.

At this point I was perfectly happy with the air management of the bike, and took off on an excellent 7000km one way trip. No pressure on my chest, not tiring on 14 hour highway rides when necessary, no ringing ears or sore neck, clean air on my helmet. I could still *hear* some turbluence, but could barely feel it, and switching over to a naked dirt bike for a short stint (that's all I've ever ridden prior to the 990, but not in the last couple years) made me realize that I'd gladly take the audible turbulence I had over the drain of the full windblast on a naked bike as long as I was riding a bike that did double duty and had to be highway friendly.

Note: I still wear moulded ear plugs when I ride for anything over 10 min or 50km/h. Not for turbulence, just wind noise with an mx helmet. Did that even on naked/dirt bikes.

Here's the kicker. This was all with a cheap HJC mx helmet. For years I've pined after an Arai XD, and half way through my trip while visiting family I bought one. I took off for the 2500 km return leg of a 10,000 km month, fully expecting the experience to be even better now that I had a helmet designed to be road friendly... and felt like I was right back to square one. Visor droned the whole way and my neck was back to being a swivel for my bobble-head.

As nice as the XD4 is, for a helmet that retails for close to $800 cdn I was much happier riding in my $180 HJC...

My buddy I switched bikes with is 3" shorter than me, and hated the turbulence on my bike. When I slouch my head bobs, so that makes sense.

Long story short, I was amazed how seemingly minor changes can make a huge difference, both for better and worse. Lesson learned, test every possible combination at your disposal, given parts you're willing to swap out. I'll be keeping the HDB mirrors and taller renazco, so I'll be playing with my windscreen to try to find a lucky combination again. If I can't find one I'll shelf my ridiculously expensive new arai and go back to an mx helmet for all but the coldest wettest road rides.

But anyone who has stock or other "mickey mouse ear" style mirrors, I would highly recomment removing them and going for a ride. It's a cheap easy experiment, and you may just be pleasantly surprised. It's a great excuse to go to the HDB setup, which gets 2 thumbs up even aside from turbulence issues.
Flyin Phil is offline   Reply With Quote