ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #1546
Projected
Single Track Attack

Oddometer: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
Mirrors. No shit.

I've been all around this block from cut down stockers to the Madstad/Aeroflow set and everywhere in between. I'd seen people say change the mirrors and thought, "yeah, that's fine if you ride leaning out in the mirrors wake..."

Know what? I just put SD mirrors on my 950 and have no complaints with that stock screen. None. Zero. It's fine.

I'm 5'8" on a Renazco slightly taller than stock seat.
SD mirrors are super duke? Thanks.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #1547
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,986
Yes.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #1548
mikeegee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
rattis - I'm on day 2 after installing the X-creen tour screen from twistedthrottle. This is on top of my large Aeroflow screen which is over a cut down stock screen (~4 inches cut off). So far it has been amazing, and it is adjustable.

It's just the last in a list of things I've done to get rid of the buffeting, including the tour windscreen, stock windscreen, cut down stock, adding the cut off part in front of the cut down stock and finally the HDB handguards and mirrors.

Like Chuckracer said, the mirrors did a ton for me as well, but the x-creen is so far like the finishing touch.

I'll try to add images to this this weekend if I get a chance.

mikeegee screwed with this post 08-23-2013 at 04:00 PM
mikeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #1549
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeegee View Post
I'm on day 2 after installing the X-cree tour screen from twistedthrottle. This is on top of my large Aeroflow screen which is over a cut down stock screen (~4 inches cut off). So far it has been amazing, and it is adjustable.
+1 on the X-Creen.

I installed the Variable version on my rally style CF screen and I love it! You can read more about my installation here.

The main reason I got the X-Creen was it's wide range of adjust-ability. On the road, I keep it extended all the way up. like this:

With the X-Creen up, I can ride with my Arai XD open at 65 MP and still listen to music om my earphones. There is still a little buffeting, but much less than without the X-Creen.

Off-road, I fold it all the way down. Like this:

When it's folded down, it's almost invisible to the rider.

As for durability, the screen is surprisingly tough. I recently hit a tree with the X-Creen folded all the way down riding a single track in Michaux. The screen too a direct hit with full impact at very low speeds. The only damage to the screen was a broken mount, which I was able to replace for $3.95 from TwistedThrottle.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #1550
krumgrinder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Coming from a 1st gen Concours, which has just about the best wind/weather coverage you will find on any bike of any year, the 990 was a bit of a culture shock in more ways than one. Mind you, I was looking for a change- and was ready to deal with some issues- but knew I would have to do something about the airflow. I've run Cee Bailey's shields for years on my Connie, so thought I'd give the 15" one a try (I prefer seeing (well) over my shields.) This definitely helped alot- but did not get it quite to the point I was hoping for. After reading through a ton of this thread, I decided to try the mirror test. Wow, what a difference. A riding bud said he had picked up a couple cheap adjustable mirrors at Iron Pony for his WR250; I took a look at them and decided to give them a try. Was able to get them way down by the hand guards and still have good rear visibility- and on the first ride I knew this was the answer! Airflow was sooooo much cleaner and smoother, I was amazed. I will probably try it again now with the stock shield just to see how much of a difference the CB made, for comparison purposes.

FYI, these were Bikemaster mirrors, $19.95 apiece at IP- hard to go wrong. I'll try to add a picture later this evening.
2002 Concours (sold)
krumgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 PM   #1551
Vector Leto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
X-Creen and stock wind shield

BykBoy and mikeegee,

Do you think that x-creen will fit on the stock (and unmodified) screen?

Vector Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #1552
BykBoy
Meshuganeh

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Leto View Post
BykBoy and mikeegee,

Do you think that x-creen will fit on the stock (and unmodified) screen?
I'm pretty sure the MRA X-Creen Tour Add-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade (Bolt-On) will fit the stock KTM screen.

Worst case scenario, if the mounting hardware on the X-creen are too wide (which I doubt they are), you can re-locate them using a drill and Phillips head screwdriver.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #1553
ericGSsti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
I had the Ktm touring screen and hated it. I'm 6ft 3inches tall.

I am modding the original screen to put a rally type lip on it but it is only to have a spare screen.

It's still a bit away from been finish as work has taken up so much time.

I bought a carbon screen off a user on here (rade) and love it. The airflow is much better and the screen is lower and further away from your face when off road.

I was in the market for a new helmet and was looking at changing from my tour X Arai but ended up buying the Arai KTM snipe tour x.

Touring screen is for sale if anyone wants it.

"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -

ericGSsti screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 01:31 PM
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #1554
Weldit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
The Aeroflow is in effect a double screen and IMHO works like a dream and compared to the one that is for the BMW 1200GSA looks like something made by Michelangelo, well maybe a bit fugly, but just a bit.
I'm 6 8" and recently I did 1400 km in the US and Mexico and I'm very satisfied.
Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Aeroflow and I do not get payed very well to endorse their products, as a matter of fact I get payed ZILCH.
But the screens are good.
I would love a combo between Aeroflow and the Givi, some thing that you could adjust.
Yes I know about the Madstad bracket but to me that looks like like it's made by the "penny-tech farkelers" over at G-spot ie made by the visionally impaired.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you go with the tallest Aero-flow screen ?
I ask as I am also 6'8" and am looking at a screen
not really thrilled about the look - or having to look through a screen
but need something for riding longer pavement trips

I have cut the stocker down 4 times and am currently just 5" above light cut out
this is fine for backroads etc but not that great for highway speeds
But there is NO buffeting at all.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #1555
krumgrinder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericGSsti View Post
I was in the market for a new helmet and was looking at changing from my tour X Arai but ended up buying the Arai KTM snipe tour
That is one sharp lid. I've never had an offroad/enduro style helmet, but have been thinking might be time to add one to the arsenal. Been using modulars (glasses wearer) for high-speed touring for years; I'd think this style lid would try to rip your head off at highway speeds? What's the noise level like at highway speed? Seems kinda tough to pick a helmet for a long tour that includes both paved and unpaved riding...
2002 Concours (sold)
Old 09-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #1556
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
I tried various remedies - Aeroflow (it helps, but certain conditions still brought on the buffeting); cut down the stock screen 2" (also helped, but still some buffeting). I finally tried the stiffening trick on the peak/bill (don't remember what thread it was in) of my XD 4 and, voila, no more of the eye-rattling buffeting that scared the shit out of me anytime I got near a big rig. I've tried it in all the conditions that caused issues before as well as some triple digits and I'm happy. I still use the Aeroflow long rides for the wind blocking and noise.
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:26 AM   #1557
ericGSsti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by krumgrinder View Post
That is one sharp lid. I've never had an offroad/enduro style helmet, but have been thinking might be time to add one to the arsenal. Been using modulars (glasses wearer) for high-speed touring for years; I'd think this style lid would try to rip your head off at highway speeds? What's the noise level like at highway speed? Seems kinda tough to pick a helmet for a long tour that includes both paved and unpaved riding...
I find it good with the current set up but have been wear Arai tour x helmets for almost 5 years with different bikes and it has been good and bad. With R1150GS it was bad but the addition of a touratek screen extension help a lot. On my 00 Africa twin with standard screen it was good but on the 99 Africa twin with touring screen it hit me right in the helmet so had to switch back to standard screen.

It really is down to the air flow and how tall or short you are.

I've worn it on a street bike and nearly had it snap my neck when turning your head.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #1558
krumgrinder
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I find it good with the current set up but have been wear Arai tour x helmets for almost 5 years with different bikes and it has been good and bad. With R1150GS it was bad but the addition of a touratek screen extension help a lot. On my 00 Africa twin with standard screen it was good but on the 99 Africa twin with touring screen it hit me right in the helmet so had to switch back to standard screen.

It really is down to the air flow and how tall or short you are.

I've worn it on a street bike and nearly had it snap my neck when turning your head.
Appreciate the reply, apologies to original thread poster for the partial hijack!
2002 Concours (sold)
Old 09-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #1559
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoule View Post
I tried various remedies - Aeroflow (it helps, but certain conditions still brought on the buffeting); cut down the stock screen 2" (also helped, but still some buffeting). I finally tried the stiffening trick on the peak/bill (don't remember what thread it was in) of my XD 4 and, voila, no more of the eye-rattling buffeting that scared the shit out of me anytime I got near a big rig. I've tried it in all the conditions that caused issues before as well as some triple digits and I'm happy. I still use the Aeroflow long rides for the wind blocking and noise.
I have come to the same conclusion about the Arai helmets. The bill just is not stiff enough. I am looking to have a carbon fiber version. That should fix the problem. I will report the results when done.
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #1560
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Arai makes that helmet for KTM. Arai takes an XD-1 (sometimes called the Tour XD) and puts a KTM paint job on it. KTM then sells it as the Snipe X. You can tell it's an Arai XD1 (Tour XD) by the rear top vents being flip switches and not slide levers, and the fabric color on the inside. Just an FYI.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote