ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #1561
ericGSsti
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
You are correct and right. It is the older model tour X then my other helmet which is a tour X3 with the slidding vents.

But for €200 I couldn't say no to an older model new in the box helmet.
"In the spirit of adventure, open to all riders and carrying a message of friendship between all men"- Thierry Sabine 1977 founder of the Paris Dakar -
ericGSsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #1562
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericGSsti View Post
You are correct and right. It is the older model tour X then my other helmet which is a tour X3 with the slidding vents.

But for €200 I couldn't say no to an older model new in the box helmet.
Nice buy! That's a steal. I had an XD-1 (Tour XD) for 5 years. Loved it. I just got an XD-4. The differences are minor and both are great lids. Cheers!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #1563
Vector Leto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
The Pumpkin King - KTM 990 windscreen experiments

For those thinking about cutting down their windscreens or buying the Moose Racing "shorty":

I bought the orange one from KTM Twins. I'll be the first to admit that it's ugly on the 990 R. I heard about fitment issues with these, but this one fits ok. Although, it sticks out where the plastic ends near the bottom of the headlight. This makes it look unfinished and it could snag easily. Here's a few photos of the shorty and the original for reference.

It looks more like a Halloween bike than ever and the orange plastic isn't a good match with the orange color on the R. Also looks like I collided with an orange cone and this is the result. I guess I can paint it. .

The differences in wind protection between the short and stock windscreen are interesting. The short screen moves the buffeting lower, somewhere between my chin and chest and virtually eliminated any feeling of buffeting. The stock windscreen buffeting hits me directly above my helmet visor, and in windy conditions is annoying in the extreme.

If your objective is to remove buffeting, the shorty wins. However, it's not a totally clean win. The price to pay for no buffeting is a much heavier wind load on your head and body, which will be more fatiguing over time.

Vector Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #1564
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,357
i did the translucent orange one and did not like it a first either. now it has grown on me. i like the shorter screen and my nose thanks me for it as well. hopefully wont get broken again on the new shorty...

looks even cooler in the dark. gives a neon affect along the edge.

laters,

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #1565
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Leto View Post
If your objective is to remove buffeting, the shorty wins. However, it's not a totally clean win. The price to pay for no buffeting is a much heavier wind load on your head and body, which will be more fatiguing over time.
I did the Yellow Pig mod to a stock windscreen, and it ends up being pretty similar to that. With the stock height screen, the frequency of the vibrations was what really got to me. Gave me nasty headaches after a few hours in the saddle. Now, even though there is more wind blast and I'm not as warm as I used to be, I don't get headaches or anything. It is still louder than riding an unfaired bike, but at least the buffeting and vibrations are gone.
1992 Subaru SVX daily
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #1566
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Unless I missed something in the 105 pages of this post I didn't read, has anyone done a mod to just flare the sides of the stock 990 windscreen? Seems to me the buffeting comes from the sides, not so much the top. If I put my hand up along the left side, that side buffeting seems to go away.
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #1567
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 688
That's basically what the touring windshield is, and it seems to make matters worse.
You have a large area of low pressure behind the shield, that makes it very difficult to achieve smooth laminar flow.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #1568
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
Vector, is your windscreen

the 5" or 2 1/2" height?
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #1569
Vector Leto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Vector, is your windscreen the 5" or 2 1/2" height?
It must be the 5". There wasn't an option when I ordered it. I measured it, from the top of the instrument cluster to the top of the windscreen is a little over 5".

Vector Leto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #1570
Corsica101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelgee View Post
I bought an Arai TourX (or XD in US speak) a few months ago in the winter sales, and at speeds above 60mph it's bloody awful, noisy and loads of vibration from the peak.
But then I didn't expect any different - it is after all just an MX lid with a visor, and the peak IS going to catch the wind and vibrate - it's simple aerodynamics at the end of the day.
Rather than chopping down the bike's screen, wouldn't it just be a hell of a lot easier just to remove the peak, ie use the helmet the way Arai designed it to be used - with the peak off for fast road riding. Or do some people just prefer the looks and pose value of the 'off-road' style MX lid, over practical considerations like wind noise??

FWIW using my regular Arai Astro R for road riding, I don't have a problem with buffeting at any speed, and find the fairing and screen pretty effective at keeping the worst of the wind/weather at bay on longer trips.
I've got the same helmet and same issue. I just got the tallest screen for my 1190 and that seems to have fixed things. The problem w the helmet is that the peak is too flexible. Hold it very lightly with 2 fingers when you're driving 130 or so and feel the difference. I doesn't take much to cut the vibrations. I'm contemplating to either stick a layer of carbon on top or make a template and make a new carbon visor. Should sort the problem. Don't really want to ride without it since it's a good sunblocker
Corsica101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #1571
salvadorfrieri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Same here. I'm 5'-11" and my 950S has the OEM windscreen. I've been riding every other week to a jobsite in another town, its roughly a 200 mile round trip. I was using my BMW Enduro helmet (I know, sacrilege) and was getting terrible vibrations from the peak at anything over 110 kms/h (70 mph). So last week, I dusted off my old Nolan N103 and I couldn't believe it. I was cruising at 140 kms/h (90 mph) with no buffeting! From now on, I'm only using the Nolan for the longer rides at highways speeds.
salvadorfrieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #1572
pdxthmper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
For what its worth, I have the touring, stock, and rally raid. so far I like the rally raid the best, a little more wind pressure but it seems quiter. I am 6'3" for reference.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #1573
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
Moose Screen

Hello,

I am 5'10" and I purchased the Moose wind screen. Was the cheapest of all the replacements and has worked great. Moto helmet or Road it has reduced the buffeting to zero and noise level is well within comfort level.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #1574
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 623
Well, I'm surprised this hasn't turned up here yet. THIS is exactly what I've been looking for: (OSO Winter Project)

I'm 6'4", I've been experimenting with shorter, taller, wider and no fairing at all. This looks like a winner: It's got a bit more rake to it to smooth out air flow, the screen is a wider than stock and is adjustable. I will not hesitate to spend the money on this set-up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by licascurtu View Post

HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #1575
krumgrinder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
Well, I'm surprised this hasn't turned up here yet. THIS is exactly what I've been looking for: (OSO Winter Project)

I'm 6'4", I've been experimenting with shorter, taller, wider and no fairing at all. This looks like a winner: It's got a bit more rake to it to smooth out air flow, the screen is a wider than stock and is adjustable. I will not hesitate to spend the money on this set-up.
Sweet, thanks for the link to Lica's thread- I'm behind on my forum reading and just got an alert for this thread that caught my eye. Agreed on the BC project, looks both extremely functional and aesthetically pleasing- for lighting as well as airflow management!

I'll throw this out there (again) for anyone looking for a quick reduction of buffeting on the 990- take the mirrors off and go for a ride before you spend dollar ONE on anything- don't blame the OEM windscreen/fairing for a problem it is not causing!
2002 Concours (sold)
krumgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote