ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #1576
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by krumgrinder View Post
I'll throw this out there (again) for anyone looking for a quick reduction of buffeting on the 990- take the mirrors off and go for a ride before you spend dollar ONE on anything- don't blame the OEM windscreen/fairing for a problem it is not causing!
I've removed my stock mirrors and have moveable (ie on road/off road position) guard mounted mirrors - that did make a big difference.

BTW - I used to live in Southern Ohio; small town between Marietta & New Martinsville, on the river.
HeatXfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #1577
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
I'm 6' and have the factory "touring" windshield.

No buffeting that I notice..

??

Dave
Old 12-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #1578
HeatXfer
Bad knees

You'd be amazed at what a difference 4" makes.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #1579
halfcab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
The Rally Raid works great for me, 5'11 and wear a Shoei X11.
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #1580
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
riding with the YellowPig mod (cut down screen) really makes things a lot colder in the winter... might have to put the spare stock screen back on just to stay warmer.
1992 Subaru SVX daily
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #1581
krumgrinder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
I've removed my stock mirrors and have moveable (ie on road/off road position) guard mounted mirrors - that did make a big difference.

BTW - I used to live in Southern Ohio; small town between Marietta & New Martinsville, on the river.
Cool- nice part of the state (if you have a job) and great riding- but I'll bet you aren't missing it too much!

This is my first fall/winter on my 990, and coming from a Connie, I have found out rather quickly how spoiled I was behind that excellent fairing and windscreen, even with always looking over it. On the 990, I've had my heated liner out since October, and the gloves too- would never have needed those until January with the C10! But, I'm adjusting pretty quickly- and finding as it gets colder that it's my thighs that are getting coldest more quickly. I had a pair of First Gear HT Overpants a few years back that were great, but found I really didn't need them on the C10 for my daily commuting, so I sold them. May just try my polypro base layer pants first and see if they make it bearable before buying another pair of overpants. Up top, the Cee Baileys windscreen I put on is doing a pretty good job of protecting me from the elements, so far.
2002 Concours (sold)
krumgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #1582
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by krumgrinder View Post
Cool- nice part of the state (if you have a job) and great riding- but I'll bet you aren't missing it too much!

This is my first fall/winter on my 990, and coming from a Connie, I have found out rather quickly how spoiled I was behind that excellent fairing and windscreen, even with always looking over it. On the 990, I've had my heated liner out since October, and the gloves too- would never have needed those until January with the C10! But, I'm adjusting pretty quickly- and finding as it gets colder that it's my thighs that are getting coldest more quickly. I had a pair of First Gear HT Overpants a few years back that were great, but found I really didn't need them on the C10 for my daily commuting, so I sold them. May just try my polypro base layer pants first and see if they make it bearable before buying another pair of overpants. Up top, the Cee Baileys windscreen I put on is doing a pretty good job of protecting me from the elements, so far.
Yup, coal mines & steel mills kinda on the down turn. Wind protection? Yeah, that's something you'll have to live without for the road. I've stopped all unnecessary spending (read 'Christmas shopping') in anticipation of ordering Ian's 950/990 fairing: I have no doubt it's going to make a huge difference in Hwy riding over what's available currently.

BTW - On my cousins farm in the hills above Rayland there's some phenomenal single track riding available and only a few locals ride the area. I go back every couple of years for family reunions, but I never ride when I'm back there. When I come back next year and I can round-up a bike you've got an open invite.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #1583
krumgrinder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
Yup, coal mines & steel mills kinda on the down turn. Wind protection? Yeah, that's something you'll have to live without for the road. I've stopped all unnecessary spending (read 'Christmas shopping') in anticipation of ordering Ian's 950/990 fairing: I have no doubt it's going to make a huge difference in Hwy riding over what's available currently.

BTW - On my cousins farm in the hills above Rayland there's some phenomenal single track riding available and only a few locals ride the area. I go back every couple of years for family reunions, but I never ride when I'm back there. When I come back next year and I can round-up a bike you've got an open invite.
Thanks for the invite! I'm game, as long as I can fit the 990 through it...
2002 Concours (sold)
krumgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:43 AM   #1584
jerbelgium
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
the ultimate windscreen solution can be found here

My wind^problems disappeared after deciding to go for Rade's solution. It is the best-looking screen I have seen after searching on the web for a long time!

Also check his other KTM-Adventure creations!! unbelievable what a guy!

jerbelgium screwed with this post 12-10-2013 at 12:14 PM
jerbelgium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:55 PM   #1585
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Windscreen Disgust ...... again

+1 on the Aeroflow for me. Purchased the standard (low) Aeroflow and for me at 5'10' (178cm) sitting on a sheepskin works fantastically, has transformed the bike.

I was concerned at having to look through the screen for near obstacles but strangely, even on dirt roads, it forces me to look over the top of the screen, further ahead which seems to work very well.

Has reduced buffeting from a really big issue to a very minor annoyance for me.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #1586
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 289
Wicked Rade's screen

I am close to ordering a screen to help with the wind deflection problems that some of us get .
I am 5'11" and have the standard screen on , I have a NEW Touring screen that has done 10 kms as I did not enjoy the buffeting from that .
I have been in touch with Rade about the EVO5 screen and wanted to hear from any one that has had the same troubles .
Is this the best way to go.
Thanks Tezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbelgium View Post

My wind^problems disappeared after deciding to go for Rade's solution. It is the best-looking screen I have seen after searching on the web for a long time!

Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #1587
hattah79

Oddometer: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEZZA View Post
I am close to ordering a screen to help with the wind deflection problems that some of us get .
I am 5'11" and have the standard screen on , I have a NEW Touring screen that has done 10 kms as I did not enjoy the buffeting from that .
I have been in touch with Rade about the EVO5 screen and wanted to hear from any one that has had the same troubles .
Is this the best way to go.
Thanks Tezza
Hi Terry
What were you quoted from Rade
hattah79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #1588
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbelgium View Post

Rade's creations really are top-notch. I mean not just great looking fit & finish, the process he follows and the attention to detail. Plus they're Damn clever too! His under seat aux gas tank is a fantastic design!
Old 12-11-2013, 11:50 PM   #1589
TEZZA
ADV B4 DEM/TED

Oddometer: 289
Wicked Rade screen

PM sent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattah79 View Post
Hi Terry
What were you quoted from Rade
Now the Perfect pair!!!!
TEZZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:19 PM   #1590
Brown Town
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Leto View Post
For those thinking about cutting down their windscreens or buying the Moose Racing "shorty":

I bought the orange one from KTM Twins. I'll be the first to admit that it's ugly on the 990 R. I heard about fitment issues with these, but this one fits ok. Although, it sticks out where the plastic ends near the bottom of the headlight. This makes it look unfinished and it could snag easily.
I bought the Moose Racing smoke shorty from KTM Twins. Can't say enough great things about KTM Twins but the Moose shorty fitment is absolutely AWFUL. I had to shave down the plastic to get it to fit around the headlight, file the screw holes to get them to line up and use a heat-gun to try to get the plastic ends near the bottom to curve in–then I noticed that the bottom was a different length on either side of the headlight. I love do-it-yourself projects but what a piece of junk. $60+ down the drain. Never again Moose Racing.