ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #151
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,261
You guys are so Stubborn...

Took about two years for the Naca duct and just plain holes to become and accepted solution.

Let see how much time is going to take for people to believe the "Four little Holes" screen works really well, but is also extremlly easy to implement.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #152
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,199
Ricky,

Is that thing working for you? Have you tried it around 80-90? That is where the noise rips me, and unfortunately right about where I ride when slabbing trying to get somewhere.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:33 AM   #153
Piipz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
im cancelling my previous post. the double-original screen mod made it better, but not good enough. I hope someone will comment the new Hyde racing http://www.hyderacing.com/images/pro.../ab_sec_95.jpg screen soon. it looks a lot better than all the others I've seen. maybe is better too?

Piipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:50 AM   #154
Robert355
RObert355

Oddometer: 174
Wicked

As the Alien works a lot better than stock, and as Ricardo mod seems to be very interesting I start doing the mod with the Alien !

If it's work fine with stock then it should be excellent with alien !

So I start by cutting a stock, and as I'm curious I gone for a test ride: WOW ! It's really impressive how smooth it is ! so I stopped the experience there ! Of course a lot of air hurt the helmet and after some days ride I think I'll look for more wind protection but for now I'll stick with the cut screen...

Until I'll test Ricardo's mod

BOb
Robert355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:16 PM   #155
Paulsky
When in doubt, gas it

Oddometer: 69
went to a bike rally this weekend and got this cool little add on screen called and Aero Trim, actually works quite well. I doesn't cure my KTM 950's buffeting problem but seems to move the uncomportable speed up to about 140km/h. I was very surprised at the quality and the price , it retails at R 350.00 which is about $50.00 and the workmanship is superb. It just fits with double sided tape.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2007, 01:23 PM   #156
Paulsky
When in doubt, gas it

Here is another pic of the workings of it
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #157
Paulsky
When in doubt, gas it

Here is a better pic
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #158
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,034
Anybody tried the Saeng Stealth edging yet? Now called called "Micro-Swirl" edging

http://www.saeng.com/4000.htm

I tried a bit of it on a '95 Tiger that had truly horrible turbulence with the stock screen. I tried it all the way around the edge but it made the aerodynamics weird. Finally settled on a 6" strip across the top and it made an amazing difference in helmet turbulence reduction. I don't have any material left to try on my stock 990S but I may get some to experiment again, since at least with my Shoei X11 helmet the turbulence off the stock screen isn't too bad with earplugs, no helmet vibes or teeth chattering at any speed, just increased noise. Afraid to hear what the Arai XD will be like once it arrives tho.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:15 PM   #159
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
Ricky,

Is that thing working for you? Have you tried it around 80-90? That is where the noise rips me, and unfortunately right about where I ride when slabbing trying to get somewhere.
Actually is kind of strange, the faster you go the quieters it gets.

Yes i'm being well above the Ton mark on "close circuit" roads ofcourse and is very quiet and turbulence free...

But even then Hopefully this week since i can not stop haking things around, I'm going to try to make a small pair of naca's at the height on the headlight in hopes of making the screen even more eficient.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:32 PM   #160
petdav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Alien screen + touratech

I found if I attached my Touratech clip-on windshield extension to my new alien screen [6'1" / corbin seat] I had very still air over the top of my XD with the peak still on. Removed peak from helmet, removed clip-on touratech extender - very little helmet rattle at speed. That darn visor picks up the wind like Mary Poppins' umbrella. Tomorrow going to try alien shield with Saeng micro-swirl edging - can't use the touratech with this stuff but may not need it - we'll see!
petdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:17 PM   #161
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by petdav
I found if I attached my Touratech clip-on windshield extension to my new alien screen [6'1" / corbin seat] I had very still air over the top of my XD with the peak still on. Removed peak from helmet, removed clip-on touratech extender - very little helmet rattle at speed. That darn visor picks up the wind like Mary Poppins' umbrella.
I thought the whole point of the XD was that you could quickly remove the peak for on-road riding. Why are people complaining about it on the highway and not just taking it off?
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:06 PM   #162
Mr. FantaStik
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Alright, got my screen! It works as advertised--got my baby up to ~70mph and air behind it was SMOOTH--BUT, and this is the downer, I can't see clearly thru the thing! It optically distorts what's in front so I was having a tough time picking a good line. Just in case you're curious, I am 5'7". It would probably be perfect for a taller rider, maybe 6' or taller. If I can't return it without paying re-stocking fees, I'm selling it in the Fleamarket as I can't see myself getting used to it. Too bad coz it really is smooth and quiet compared to stock.

I might just go NACA or make myself a smaller screen and offset the bigger one in front of it.

'06 KaTooM 950ADV S
'03 SV650 Naked
Mr. FantaStik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:13 AM   #163
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrider
I'm 5'10" and have my choice between stock and low gel seat, so there's a chance in hell this might work for me.
Received my alien screen from ktmtwins yesterday. Rode it to work on the highway this morning. Initial impressions are very mixed. On the plus side, the wind roar is gone up to at least 85 mph. Unfortunately it's replaced by a near constant crackling at the top of my helmet. Sounds exactly like a loud fire in a fireplace. Can't tell yet whether this will be a problem or I'll get used to it. Also, at any speed over 35 mph riding with my face shield all the way open causes tooth-loosening drumming. I suspect this will be a problem in hot weather.

I think this screen has a very narrow sweet spot. If I lift myself up from the seat a couple of inches, the wind roar returns. If I scrunch down, the crackling goes away but drumming comes back. I can see how taller and shorter folks could have problems. I look over and around the screen, so it doesn't cause any vision problems.

The bike definitely gets pushed by the wind more, but I think I can get used to that. It's also slightly less nimble flicking into corners, but that's no biggie.

At this point I'd give it a definite maybe. If I can find a cheap clip-on screen extender, I might try that to see if it makes the crackling go away.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #164
Surfdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
[quote=cyborg]Anybody tried the Saeng Stealth edging yet? Now called called "Micro-Swirl" edging

I'm going to give it a try ... 6'1" normal seat height & Full-face helmet.
You expect a report later in life !
Old 06-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #165
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
Anybody tried the Saeng Stealth edging yet? Now called called "Micro-Swirl" edging

FWIW on their applications page for the 950 the Micro-Swirl only gets an "average" rating.