Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 04:19 AM   #1651
Simonhantler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr View Post
The ringing in my bad left ear is getting worse. It's getting worse cause the freeking windscreen on my 950 dumps a torrent of confused air right in my face and there's a constant roar in my head. This is with good foam earplugs shoved all the way into my ear canal. Arai XD.

After three or four hours it becomes really bad. If I stand up on the pegs its like another world. Absolutely quiet ... given the earplugs.

So yesterday in the middle of my ride I took the dingdang screen OFF. straped it to the seat behind me. Much better. Looked wierd having that nice unobstructed view out over the dash. My mirrors seemed somehow exposed and lonely.

I did notice the effort it was taking to resist the wind pressure towards the end of my ride. If one was going cross country it might be a bit much. No it WOULD be a bit much. I've got the new big 'touring' screen on order from KTM. I will report.

But I'm going out right now and chop most of this original puppy OFF. Pics to follow.

this is exactly what happened to me on my 990 lately, i chopped the original screen all the way to nothing, then bought a touring screen which ive chopped down to about 4 inches above dash, ill try it out soon. but all other trials have been bloody noisy unless i stand up.
Simonhantler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #1652
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 567
I have the RADE EVO6 windscreen on order. I really really really hope this solves the problem for me. Also have the Double Take mirrors on order as well, which should help.

ben
Old 06-03-2014, 04:50 AM   #1653
lopealong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
so how did the rally evo screen go? those that bought the aeroflow screen does it work ,are you happy with your purchase.
lopealong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #1654
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealong View Post
so how did the rally evo screen go? those that bought the aeroflow screen does it work ,are you happy with your purchase.
I just ordered an aeroflow screen yesterday (to go ontop of the KTM touring screen - I'm 6'2). I'll report back once it's arrived and been fitted

I'm planning a ride from UK to Croatia and back in a few weeks, hoping to get a solution to the damn wind problem sorted by then

I found a touratech screen extension in the garage last night and tried it - it actually seemed to make things worse. Previously, I could duck down behind the screen and experience an almost silent ride. With the TT extension it was less noisy in my normal riding position (not nearly as good as it was previously ducking behind the touring screen), and it made no difference if I ducked behind the screen

I strongly suspect that the aeroflow will be better than the TT extension (but still not brilliant) and I'll end up buying the Voodoo2 screen as soon as I'm back from my trip
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
'89 Honda Camino (The Adventure Moped)
leesbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #1655
Pedaler
Shop Rag

Oddometer: 81
Aeroflow

The Aeroflow is a game changer. I'm 5'9" and bought the standard screen. I can easily run with the face shield up. No more wrenching my neck against the wind forces on my visor(XD3). No bugs in the face. I use it with a moose shorty and just pop it off and strap it to my bags when going off-road. It's a bit if a pain in the ass but I won't go on a long haul without it! Make sure you get one you can see over. Looking through it is a bit annoying due to the curvature.

the best they'll feel all day. Dean Martin
Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #1656
Bighat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I like my Aeroflow, works great....
Bighat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #1657
NeptuneTriton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Britannia Composites 990 Voodoo Fairing

I know it's a chunk of change, but it solved the wind noise / buffeting problem for me. I wanted something short and out of the way when I'm offroad, tall when I'm pounding hours of slab, a place to mount my GPS, and better lights than the stock 990 candles. This was a real problem solver for me and IMHO looks much, much better than a lot of the aftermarket windscreen options:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970541
NeptuneTriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #1658
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptuneTriton View Post
I know it's a chunk of change, but it solved the wind noise / buffeting problem for me. I wanted something short and out of the way when I'm offroad, tall when I'm pounding hours of slab, a place to mount my GPS, and better lights than the stock 990 candles. This was a real problem solver for me and IMHO looks much, much better than a lot of the aftermarket windscreen options:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970541
Shortly after my last post I ordered the Voodoo. I figured I'd end up with that solution anyway. Just hope it arrives before my trip

Apparently, it'll be the 1st Voodoo in the UK, so my bike will be pretty unique here
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
'89 Honda Camino (The Adventure Moped)
leesbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #1659
NeptuneTriton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesbian View Post
Shortly after my last post I ordered the Voodoo. I figured I'd end up with that solution anyway. Just hope it arrives before my trip

Apparently, it'll be the 1st Voodoo in the UK, so my bike will be pretty unique here
Good for you! I know, I was thinking the same thing. By the time I went through 3 windshields trying to find the right one, added aftermarket lighting, and then bought a rally style GPS mount, I could have just got the Voodoo and been done with it.
NeptuneTriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #1660
rattis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,091
Thumb 6 8"

+ a lot for the Aeroflow, absolutely great.
I get paid to write this
Old 08-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #1661
advhound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaler View Post
The Aeroflow is a game changer. I'm 5'9" and bought the standard screen. I can easily run with the face shield up. No more wrenching my neck against the wind forces on my visor(XD3). No bugs in the face. I use it with a moose shorty and just pop it off and strap it to my bags when going off-road. It's a bit if a pain in the ass but I won't go on a long haul without it! Make sure you get one you can see over. Looking through it is a bit annoying due to the curvature.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this windscreen, but I am curious why you decided to go with this screen instead of the Aeroflow/MadStad adjustable setup?

Also, how does your screen tie down? Does it get scraped up at all? I think taking it off will be necessary to do trail riding, but wondering how feasable that really is it tie it down.
advhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #1662
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesbian View Post

One tip I can give you: For high speed riding (over 100km/h) keep the screen fairly low. I'm 6'4" and I keep the top edge of the screen approx 10 -12cm above the top edge of the fairing. It's wonderfully quiet there. As a result I've discovered just how noisy my helmet really is.

Slower speeds for around town & city driving I'll keep it at 75 to 100% up.
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote