Oddometer: 30
last one
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #182
RXV_Poor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Thumb

spiwirider, it looks good. I was thinking along the same line for my bike, when I get it. Next summer seems like forever away.
07 KTM 525EXC
07 Aprilia RXV 550
AMA, BLC, D36, IMBA, STM
Disclaimer:

I'm impulsive, hard headed and sometimes really stupid. Please do not take anything I say or do as a "correct thing" or a "fix" as it could be harmful to your wallet or person.
RXV_Poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:13 AM   #183
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,218
How to ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #184
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiwirider
last one
How much light output does that screen block?
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:41 PM   #185
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiwirider
i tested it today and no real buffeting until 90-95 mph its not 100% perfect but with my arai tour x ( or xd in the us) it was a huge improvement and i got a headlight protector at the same time !!
just some painting to do and it will be done i think its gonna work ok no movement from the screen at speed and my ears are not ringing after 2 hours of riding (no plugs) ..
all pretty simple really and im pretty stoked with the results
cheers

Senor glad I can help..

Funny How people will not believe you (Well you did) and they keep getting their ears blown up and their bank accounts empty from buying windscreen after windscreen when the solution is right at the finger tips and almost free.

Nice spin on the concept.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:42 AM   #186
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
5 is the magic number

I went back to a stock screen and tried cutting 5 holes in it instead of 3. Big difference. I had it up to 85 mph in a 20 mph wind while wearing the noisier of my two helmets and ordinary drug store ear plugs. Was completely comfortable. Not completely quiet, but no roaring, no drumming, no crackling, either with my face shield open or closed.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:00 PM   #187
petesonhisway
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrider
I went back to a stock screen and tried cutting 5 holes in it instead of 3. Big difference.
This post is useless without pictures
petesonhisway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #188
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesonhisway
This post is useless without pictures
Sorry, currently without a camera. Try looking through the "show off your 950" thread. There are numerous 950's with this setup: 3 holes in a row, 2 more in the row above, all in the lower half of the screen. I pretty much closed my eyes and pulled the trigger on my drill, so I don't think you have to be too precise about it.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:54 PM   #189
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Anyone else tried a Laminar Lip?

I sit as tall as a typical 6'4" rider.
I rode a KLR many years with the tall factory windscreen; the wind hit about eye level. I tried a taller windscreen but it did not move the blast and I didn't like it in the dirt - the extra height interfered with the view.

I bought a 950 Adventure this spring. The wind hit about the same place, or an inch higher. I noticed that if I got out of the saddle about two inches the noise would go away; I was in the full windstream, but it was quiet. I thought about cutting 2-4" off the windscreen to get the quiet, but decided that being in the wind all of the time was not a good idea, and what was I paying for anyway?

So I bought a Laminar Lip http://www.laminarlip.com/ and mounted it about an inch lower than shown on their website ( and an inch higher that their instructions). It raised the wind blast 2 or 3 inches. I use a HJC Sysmax helmet (full coverage, chin bar flip). With the face shield up it is quiet. When I have the faceshield slightly open it is noisy; with it closed all the way it's noisier, about the same as on my KLR.
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:52 AM   #190
950TRANSALP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Cool2 Laminar + 5

In cold weather I use a Laminar , mine was a FZ1 Yamaha lip that I had leftover from my trade in . I cut the bottom off and bent the screen to fit with an industrial heat gun then stick ti on with 3M dual lock velcro (tuff stuff). It keeps wind off my shoulders and eliminates buffetting(which I dont see as a big deal) but it keeps a lot of cold air out from under the helmet and alpows he visor to be left up if its warm enough or bugs aren't around.
I'm not real fond of the look but if it's cold who gives a damn !And on long road trips it keeps you from fighting as much wind .
950TRANSALP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 08:40 PM   #191
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,584
On the way!

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/eu...sso?SubCat=LC8 How many have seen the new headlight assy from touratech? Bottom of the page i believe. Ordered about 2 months ago & got UPS confirmation today , we'll sea, RIDE ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:35 AM   #192
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
XD, oh the pain!

I've been watching this thread looking for ideas on the turbulence reduction. Most of them don't look that great on the bike and it also varies with height and position of rider.

I like Ricardo's idea the best so far and spiwirider's mods of that.

However I had a very interesting experience yesterday. When I bought my '07 990S a few weeks ago I have been riding it with my Shoei X11 road helmet, an amazingly quiet helmet. I wondered "what's all the fuss about noise and turbulence" because I felt and heard almost nothing even up to and past 100 with the stock windscreen.

Then, like many others, I orderd a Arai XD "look the part" helmet from my dealer and it came in recently. I took it for it's first ride yesterday, with earplugs in place. Holy shit! this thing is noisy! At 60 it was pretty obnoxiously loud. No whistling, but lots of roar and rattle-your-teeth turbulence. I stood up, pretty quiet, then back down, argh!!! I wondered how much worse it got at higher speeds... at 90 it was so loud my ears are still ringing 24hrs later, and that's WITH 30db carefully installed earplugs, and the teeth rattling was almost 'chip your teeth' bad. I'm regretting that 10mi ride, believe me.

So, I consider the Arai XD the WORST CASE test helmet for developing a quieter windscreen, and the Shoei the BEST CASE use helmet to actually ride the bike stock until I have the time to try some of the mods shown in this thread.

That XD helmet is NOT going with me on the 990 until I get the noise issues solved and I have a feeling a lot of the people complaining of the bad 950/990 noise issues are using the XD or similar. I like the XD design, but it's obvious Arai did not do the wind tunnel testing Shoei did since the Shoei demonstrates that turbulance control CAN be solved.

The quest continues...

cyborg screwed with this post 07-22-2007 at 09:40 AM
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:07 AM   #193
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
i tried the alien and it didnt work all that well.The Touratech Lc8 spoiler lacked a little height-the generic one 5x11 is as good as it gets for me @ 6'3"

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...94E7A754145422
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #194
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,282
Aerotrim and helmet noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulsky
Here is a better pic
Paulsky,

thanks for your information. I contacted tehm at www.aerotrim.co.za, they are waiting on my email to give me details about pricing and shipping.
How does it fare with regard to helmet noise?
If it cures it or pushes up the discomfort zone, then I'll try to put together a group buy.

Thnak you again.

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #195
petdav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
touratech windshield extension and alien shield

Just got back from 8,000 km trip to Alaska. Started with the Touratech extension on my new alien shield. After 200 miles couldn't figure out why my shoulders were taking such a beating at 60 - 70 mph, unclipped the Touratech and found the airflow to be much smoother around the sides and top corners of the shield. I left the Touratech in my tankbag for the rest of the trip and am satisfied with the alien shield - I spent 3 days fine tuning the peak on the Arai Xd finally wrapping tape around the front of the peak to "spring" it and small pieces of duct tape at pivot points on the helmet to stop the thruummmm. Waiting for Shoei replacement.
petdav is offline   Reply With Quote