Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2007, 11:13 PM   #211
TheLostBoy
gone riding...

Oddometer: 210
i've since removed my saeng strip and just ordered a new tall windscreen.. back to the drawing board.. going to try to glass my xd visor and see if that helps...
TheLostBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:45 AM   #212
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiwirider
top one 1 inch
bottom one 1/2 inch

I did this. Rode for a couple of weeks. Up to about 50 mph i got no wind, i could ride with my face shield up and got nothing in my eyes. Faster it was back to the same though. Maybe 30 % better most of the time, but at certain angles into the wind the turbulence was so bad that i couldn't hold my head still. I cut the screen into a half circle about half heighth. Haven't ridden it yet. It has been 105 or raining.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:51 AM   #213
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,097
Rufus, your not kidding on the weather. I have been watching that. Man, 100 degrees + or flooding rain. I feel for you folks, this summer has been tuff.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:10 AM   #214
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,986
Most of this summer has been fine. over 100 for the last few weeks, that is normal this time of year. The rain we have gotten this year is not normal though.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:48 AM   #215
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,963
I was wondering if anyone was really happy yet with their mods? Seems like some who have tried all the tricks here still haven't gotten rid of turbulence.

You guys with carbon-fiber NACA vents? Still happy with them, or just putting up with them? Some folks who have done the dual-screen mod weren't happy with the results. Ricardo, still happy with your setup, even up to 90mph?

I'm sitting here with 2 stock windscreens and an alien on the way and pondering my next move. Seems I'll just have to try the mods like everyone else and see what I like best, since nothing really convinces me yet. At least my fallback is my Shoei X11 which is pretty quiet with the stock screen, so I can still ride the bike every day.

One thing that bothers me about all the holes in the stock windscreens is rain. I end up riding in rain all Winter in the Seattle area and that many holes in the front seems like it would just dump a ton of water all over the front dash and splatter back on the rider and dump road grime on whatever gadgets you have bolted there. What has been the experience of those with the dual-screen and NACA vent mods in the rain?
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:54 AM   #216
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
I was wondering if anyone was really happy yet with their mods? Seems like some who have tried all the tricks here still haven't gotten rid of turbulence.
I am quite happy with 5 round holes. Much better than no holes, or even 3. Added a 6th which increases fresh air to my helmet chin vent but didn't make a difference otherwise.

The success of these mods is VERY individual. When I first added the 6th hole I thought I'd made things worse. Then I remembered that I'd taken the sheepskin off my seat, effectively lowering my head by 3/4". Put it back on and it was better again. Am thinking I may have finally found an acceptable rationale for a higher-than-stock Renazco seat.
Quote:
One thing that bothers me about all the holes in the stock windscreens is rain. I end up riding in rain all Winter in the Seattle area and that many holes in the front seems like it would just dump a ton of water all over the front dash and splatter back on the rider and dump road grime on whatever gadgets you have bolted there. What has been the experience of those with the dual-screen and NACA vent mods in the rain?
I rode in modest rain yesterday. Did get a fair amount of mist on my face shield, but having commuted on a sport bike in El Nino in the past that doesn't bother me. Didn't see any water on the dash. Haven't experienced a hard rain yet, though.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:12 AM   #217
Sadlsor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrider
The success of these mods is VERY individual.
You betcha. I still have the 2005 -S set up stock, and I ride sometimes with an XD lid. The buffeting / noise is not as bad as some of you had led me to believe, from my perspective. The ipod with ER6 earplugs effectively make noise a non-issue.

However, for the last 5 years I rode the 650 Dakar, and it had crap for a windscreen. Kinda like my 950! So maybe I was just used to it.

Don't take this to imply the wind isn't noisy - it certainly can be in some riding positions. I'm 5/11 nearing 6/0, but to me it isn't that terrible. Or maybe I'm just having too much fun on the 950 to notice. But I'll still watch this thread to see what the geniuses come up with.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:11 PM   #218
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,982
Hope you guys don't mind about my question... it's not KTM related, so, hopefully, I won't get flamed too much It is related to this discussion though.

I've read through this thread about tweaking screens and drilling holes. I'm thinking of doing the same with my Tiger 1050, but, am unsure where I really should put the holes, how many and how big. Also, thinking about putting some spacers under mounting bolts to pull the screen out a little. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks.
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #219
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Hope you guys don't mind about my question... it's not KTM related, so, hopefully, I won't get flamed too much It is related to this discussion though.
I've read through this thread about tweaking screens and drilling holes. I'm thinking of doing the same with my Tiger 1050, but, am unsure where I really should put the holes, how many and how big. Also, thinking about putting some spacers under mounting bolts to pull the screen out a little. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Thanks.
/Orange chatter OFF

No problem, I've owned 3 tigers over 10 years, latest '02. Now gone over to the Orange-side with a 990S. My '02 benefited the most from the CeeBaileys Tall-wide w/wings. Worked the best for me.

Oh wait, you have the 1050 SuperMoto style right? May not work...

/Orange chatter ON

Trying to solve my windscreen woes on the 990S right now. I have 3 screens in my garage and getting ready to have at 'em!

Might take beer...
Old 08-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #220
fnfalman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I took the wind screen off my 990 ADV and I'm happy as a lark. More wind to keep the body cool and no turbulence around the head. Also the hands don't get numbed by the buzzing either. SWEET!!!
2007 Aprilia Tuono
2007 KTM 990 ADV
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #221
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,447
I did a 2K trip cross country with my double screen and an XD. I like the double screen setup.
I do get the vibration in the visor just under the right conditions with the XD. But if I put my fingers on the top of the screen, it goes away. I am thinking of cutting the top of the screen into a V pattern, or gluing some type of block on it to disrupt the air flow.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #222
The_Goose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
christ... this is the thread that just wouldn't die. i swear there is a new posting to this thread every damn time i come here.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:08 AM   #223
letsgofishing
life's tough in africa...

Oddometer: 34
OK, here's something different! A South African made product that most Adv riders seem very happy with. http://www.aerotrim.co.za/

And here are some comments on it from our local forum.
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9652.0
letsgofishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #224
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Super Ricardo! (Double w/Alien)

I liked the Ricardo "double screen" idea so I set out to give it a try.

Started with my stock screen cut down to one inch and installed screw-post bolts and black nylon spacers (3/4 inch for the top and middle row, 5/8 inch bottom pair) and rubber washers on the mount screws, to allow the install of another stock KTM screen with no mods to the top level screen:

Then I mounted another stock OEM screen and went for a ride.

I was dissapointed to feel not much difference. I then started to feel where the air was going and noticed most of the air coming in the headlight vent was blowing right out the lower sides of the double windscreen gap and not breaking the vacuum pocket.

So, I got the idea to duct the air up to the area it was needed to break the vacuum pocket, the center of the windscreen. I used some soft rubber weatherstripping I had laying around and applied it like this:

Then put the stock windscreen back on. The lower windscreen shading covers the weatherstrips so they aren't noticeable

Then I went for another ride... WOW!!! This made all the difference. The vacuum pocket was gone, just very calm air behind the windscreen! Now there was still some turbulence since it is a small windscreen, no getting around that, but FAR better than it was. I could ride with my faceshield open with very little buffeting all the way up the highway speeds 75+, and quite tolerable up to the ton.

This worked great and daily commutes with it are pleasant.

However, I was getting ready to go on a what turned out to be 3600 mile trip and wanted a bit more protection for the long days on the road I anticipated (800+ mile days in a few cases). So I figured if I can bolt on the stock windscreen, why not the new KTM touring screen aka "Alien".

This would create a Super Ricardo!

I got the touring screen and bolted it on, a less than 5 minute process to change from one screen to another.

Went out for a long ride, and DAMN! this thing ROCKS!! Again, nice quiet air behind the larger screen and even less buffeting. Very tolerable for long rides and better than anything I had on my previous Tigers. At freeway speeds 75+ it is quite nice and only around 85+ is the headlight vent starting to not keep up with the vacuum pocket trying to form, but again, still far better than stock.

Since my wife would be riding 2-up with me for 800+ miles of my 3500+ mile trip, I took her for test rides on the back, with full luggage on the bike to get the actual "air dynamic" pocket we would experience on the road. She liked the double-touring screen much better than the stock shorter double-screen, much less buffeting for her too. So that was the fairing chosen for the trip.

Looks pretty good too. Got a lot of comments from folks on my trip who thought the bike looked cool and hard-core.

Side benefit of the taller touring screen after the 9 day ride I just finished, was the 10 million bugs splattered all over the bike and screen, but not on my helmet visor. Very nice.

The more sporty stock fairing goes back on it for daily commuter use, but the Alien is ready for the long trips.

I'm now a happy camper in the windscreen department!!!

cyborg screwed with this post 09-12-2007 at 11:16 AM
Old 09-12-2007, 07:53 AM   #225
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,781
Cyborg!

Hey, I like your idea. Looks good too. How is the wind noise? My main concern and how tall are you? Thanks.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote