Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2007, 08:43 AM   #226
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT
Hey, I like your idea. Looks good too. How is the wind noise? My main concern and how tall are you? Thanks.
I'm 5'10", 32" inseam. The touring screen has worked well when I was sitting on my "Big Orange" strock seat, the Low Profile Adventure seat I also have and with Bead-Rider and also with an Air Hawk seat pads on the low profile seat, which lift me up anywhere from 1/2" to 1".

As for wind noise, even the touring screen isn't all that large when compared to a Goldwing or a BMW LT barn door. Buy one of those if you want really quiet air behind the screen...

Even with totally calm air behind the windscreen and smooth flow over the screen edges (due to no vacuum pocket) some mildly noisy air will sneak in. The front fairing and mirrors cause a bit of turbulence too.

My noise comparison test is to stand up and put my helmet in smooth air, then sit behind the windscreen and compare the two noise levels. Using this test, at 70mph for example, the stock screen is much noisier than smooth air when standing up. The double-stock is quieter than smooth air and the double-touring screen is much quieter than standing up in smooth air. At 80 it is even more pronounced, standing up is quite noisy even in smooth air, and sitting behind the touring screeen was much quieter and didn't beat me up with turbulence. I use a Shoei X11 helmet which is already one of the quietest helmets on them market, and with the double-touring Super-Ricardo screen setup I ran one 810 mile day in cold temps, then blazing hot needing a cooling vest and there was plenty of air flow for the cooling vest from the vent and I felt fine after the ride. The vibes of the engine between 5 & 6K (75-85) were more bothersome than the wind noise.

BTW at slower speeds 55-65 the double-touring screen is very pleasant. However on the open roads of the Western states, traffic -- big trucks included -- seem to always push 75 tp 85 in cruise out on the big empty highways so that's a realistic speed range to target for the Big KTM. Sure wish KTM would do their own wind tunnel testing...
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #227
tare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Nice report cyborg!
Now, who is the first one to try Super Ricardo with AeroTrim?
tare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:25 AM   #228
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tare
Nice report cyborg!
Now, who is the first one to try Super Ricardo with AeroTrim?
Thanks. I have some Seang Micro-swirl edging, and tried it. Helps lift the air a bit higher, but I don't like the thick black line at eye level and I can just barely see over the touring screen as it is. 6ft+ guys might be able to go that route if it helps more. I'm pretty happy with what I have now.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #229
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Had a few offline queries on the standoff's I used. "Screw-posts" are often used in book binding, aluminum and brass commonly at hardware stores and maybe even office supply stores.

Here is a 1" screw post drawing:

Located them at the local McLendons "have everything" hardware store (in WA) http://www.mclendons.com, along with the black nylon spacers and rubber washers.

Here's another source of bulk just to illustrate:

http://www.screwpost.com/index.php?cPath=1

http://www.screwpost.com/product_inf...&products_id=7

They've proven very strong. Did some rough offroading with the large touring screen, no problems.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:24 AM   #230
oio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
NACA ducts and lower aftermarket mirrors solved my turbulance problem. I'm 5'7".

Old 09-12-2007, 11:48 AM   #231
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,037
Who sells naca ducts?
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #232
oio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
NACA ducts linkey
Old 09-13-2007, 12:23 PM   #233
RXV_Poor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Thumb Nice Work

Looks good Cyborg! I was going to try the same thing with the Alien & stock screens but I hadn't gotten around to it. I should have known you would get it done.

The only difference was that I was going to leave the under screen a little taller.

I guess I'll try it over the winter. Thanks to Ricky & Cyborg for all of their effort.
07 KTM 525EXC
07 Aprilia RXV 550
AMA, BLC, D36, IMBA, STM
Disclaimer:

I'm impulsive, hard headed and sometimes really stupid. Please do not take anything I say or do as a "correct thing" or a "fix" as it could be harmful to your wallet or person.
RXV_Poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #234
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXV_Poor
Looks good Cyborg! I was going to try the same thing with the Alien & stock screens but I hadn't gotten around to it. I should have known you would get it done.

The only difference was that I was going to leave the under screen a little taller.

I guess I'll try it over the winter. Thanks to Ricky & Cyborg for all of their effort.
Thanks RXV_Poor, I had a lot of motivation. I was headed out on a long trip, expecting 10-12 hours in the saddle on some days, and I didn't want to get beat up by the stock screen setup.

I think the NACA vented screens look cool too and a lot more finicky plastic work -- but the I like the double-screen setup that lets lets me use a variety of screens and vents them well. More than one way to a solution.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:57 AM   #235
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

double-screen how-to

Posted a little double-screen how-to for the several folks who asked for info offline. Hope it helps.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267755
Old 09-18-2007, 10:23 AM   #236
tare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I'm a believer

Exellent how-to, Cyborg!
I got myself the Touring screen and it is just as I was afraid.
Until 90kph (60mph) the screen is fine, but after that buffeting starts, causing same problems than with standard screen. It is not as bad but annoying enough.
Otherwise the Touring screen is good looking and gives better visibility as I can look through it.
Why is the standard one tinted so dark? Form before functionality...

Anyway, off to the hardware store and then
tare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:44 AM   #237
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by tare
Why is the standard one tinted so dark? Form before functionality...
Prolly cuz you shouldn't be lookin' "through" the screen, butt "over" it.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #238
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
Prolly cuz you shouldn't be lookin' "through" the screen, butt "over" it.
I can look over my touring screen but it's handy in heavy rain or heavy bug hits to be able to duck behind it a bit and still see where you are going, that is until the bugs completely obscure it
Old 09-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #239
KTMantis
Crashmaster G

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
Posted a little double-screen how-to for the several folks who asked for info offline. Hope it helps.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267755
Cyborg - thanks for your work on this!

I ended up implementing a variant of your design. I have both the stock screen (unaltered) and the KTM touring screen but I decided that I didn't want to cut down the stock screen so I ended up purchasing standoffs and mounting directly to the headlight surround. It required removing the headlight surround (4 bolts) and drilling 4 small holes to mount the standoffs. I used the existing attachment points at the base of the screen, added 1/4" standoffs for the middle attacment points, and 3/4" standoffs for the upper attachment points. I can mount either the stock screen or the touring screen to the standoffs in a few minutes. I also added the foam insulation directly to the headlight surround to channel the airflow upward.

So far it works great! No real turbulance up to speeds over 80 MPH. I am getting a little glare from the headlight on the screen though and will need to address that.

I'll add a picture when I get a chance, but pretty much same result with only using a single screen.
IBA #30684
KTMantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:03 PM   #240
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMantis
Cyborg - thanks for your work on this!

I am getting a little glare from the headlight on the screen though and will need to address that.
KTMantis, good to hear it's working for you. On the headlight glare, I used the "fuzzy" side of 2" wide Velcro applied to the rear of the screens in the right spot as an antil-glare, since my dual-HID Euro headlight is super bright. The fuzzy Velcro does not reflect light and it was what I had handy.