ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2007, 01:04 PM   #241
Hambone950
Mas Naranjas Por Favor!

Oddometer: 676
Circular hole

I messed about a lot with this a while back.
I have gone to the new TT screen and light combo. Very satisfied with the unit overall as mentioned elsewhere.
However, the best results I had were with a KISS type simple circular hole 4 inches across mounted half way u the standard screen. I was recommended to try this by a number of aero engineers at work. Simplest and most effective.
I did try heating the screen to reproduce the shape of the TT but with "interesting" results. Quite a challenge to get to the specific heat required and mold to the tight degree.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:23 PM   #242
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone950
I messed about a lot with this a while back.
I have gone to the new TT screen and light combo. Very satisfied with the unit overall as mentioned elsewhere.
However, the best results I had were with a KISS type simple circular hole 4 inches across mounted half way u the standard screen. I was recommended to try this by a number of aero engineers at work. Simplest and most effective.
I did try heating the screen to reproduce the shape of the TT but with "interesting" results. Quite a challenge to get to the specific heat required and mold to the tight degree.
Hambone950, I looked at all the various holes everyone was punching into their screens in their quest, but as someone who regularly rides in the rain, dust, sometimes lots of bugs and at times long distances, the thought of crap blowing right through the screen holes directly onto the GPS, other power plugs and such behind my screen -- and me, was not a very tempting idea The double screen idea still keeps it pretty clean behind the screen even in bad weather. A small consideration, but I ride my bikes every day, all year, all weather, day and night -- so the little things add up.

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 02:59 PM   #243
tare
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
Prolly cuz you shouldn't be lookin' "through" the screen, butt "over" it.
Well you know, sometimes I like to tuck down, and it helps if I can see through the screen, instead of lurking just over the top.

Putting an Aerotrim on top of the Touring screen would put it just at the line of sight so it will be a no-no for me. Unless I get a higher seat.
Decisions, decisions!
tare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:04 PM   #244
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,523
got a leftover stock screen?

Anyone have a stock screen they wouldn't mind parting with? Or one that's been cut down? I'd like to try that double screen idea, but am reluctant to buy one new one just to slice it down.

thanks,
Greg
gweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #245
Powercat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Used or Cut

+1 I've called most of the dealers in the Denver area and the best I price I can find on a new one is around $55. Sounds like its worth trying though. Would love to hear how it works for someone who is 6'1".
2006 Yamaha FJR1300
Powercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:57 PM   #246
oio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
Hambone950, I looked at all the various holes everyone was punching into their screens in their quest, but as someone who regularly rides in the rain, dust, sometimes lots of bugs and at times long distances, the thought of crap blowing right through the screen holes directly onto the GPS, other power plugs and such behind my screen -- and me, was not a very tempting idea The double screen idea still keeps it pretty clean behind the screen even in bad weather. A small consideration, but I ride my bikes every day, all year, all weather, day and night -- so the little things add up.
There are many ways to fix the 950 Adv windscreen turbulance problem. No doubt, each one has their downsides.

The NACA duct fix requires a lot of precision cutting. It took me a while to figure it out, but I was successful.

With over 5,000 miles in all kinds of weather since I put in the NACA ducts, I have yet to experience a problem with rain and bugs.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #247
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,056
What do you guys use to cut down the screen?

I want to shorten it for dirt riding, but I don't want to waste it in the process.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:16 PM   #248
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband
What do you guys use to cut down the screen?

I want to shorten it for dirt riding, but I don't want to waste it in the process.
I tape the cut line with 2" painters masking tape both sides, mark the cut line on the tape and used my bandsaw. Others haves used handheld power jigsaws, I assume with fine teeth.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:23 PM   #249
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by oio
NACA ducts and lower aftermarket mirrors solved my turbulance problem. I'm 5'7".

What size are your naca ducts? 2" or 3"
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:06 PM   #250
bobhclark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Wind Screen

A few years ago I bought a very nice ($$$$) Arai helmet to replace my well worn crappy HJC. The Arai looks very cool but is very noisy. Changing the faceshield has always been a PIA with the poorly designed side pieces breaking. With the big trip to Canada, I bought the KTM touring screen and reverted back to the old HJC. I am very pleased with the bigger KTM screen and my old ratty ass HJC helmet.
bobhclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:47 PM   #251
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,698
If you use an Arai XD, try a little trick that Gaspipe mentioned in his 950 buildup thread.... I put a strip of stick on tire weights on the underside of the visor, near the end. It stiffens the visor and stops the vibration that I was getting- which was blurring my vison and resonating straight to my brain. It does nothing for the turbulence from the windshield, but it is a big improvement.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #252
BobbyC
n00b

Oddometer: 1,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
If you use an Arai XD, try a little trick that Gaspipe mentioned in his 950 buildup thread.... I put a strip of stick on tire weights on the underside of the visor, near the end. It stiffens the visor and stops the vibration that I was getting- which was blurring my vison and resonating straight to my brain. It does nothing for the turbulence from the windshield, but it is a big improvement.
I don't get any vibration with my XD. It's a little louder than my street helmets but not so much that I'd cut windscreens and stuff.

I put on a Touratech windscreen spoiler (the bigger generic one, not the LC8 version) and that helps just a little but the bigger benefit is that I no longer get bug splat on my helmet visor and that's worth keeping it there.

"I LOVE my bike!!!"
BobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #253
oio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus
What size are your naca ducts? 2" or 3"
2"
Old 10-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #254
raydawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
So, I bought the new "S". Lots of fun! Lots of noise! Then I stood up into the clean air. That was a relief! I was thinking of a new lid instead of the XD. Really liked the visor as I headed East at dawn though...

Read through this entire thread on windscreens and it does look like there are plenty of options. The dual "Ricardo" set up that Cyborg did looks good. I was wondering if anyone had just shimmed the stock windscreen so that the air flowed through the headlight cut-out? That and the gaskets that Cyborg added looked like it might also do the trick. Any thoughts back?

Raydawg
raydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:01 AM   #255
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,779
I just last week dropped my bike off the side stand. In doing so it became time to replace those long KTM mirrors. This turned out to be a good thing. I went to the lower aftermarket ones like the above posted photo. I was very impressed how much turbulence went away. I didn't realize how those round mirrors above the windscreen line caused problems.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote