Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #16
scottr OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Next I used one of those sponge type sanding blocks with about a 150 grit to smooth the edge some more. About three minutes worth. Finally I carefully glazed the edge with a butane cigaret lighter. Very carefully. The screen is nearly perfect. Short ... but well fashioned.
scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:02 PM   #17
scottr OP
Banned

This is gonna take some gettin used to:
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #18
tn-steve
Addicted

Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr
Next I used one of those sponge type sanding blocks with about a 150 grit to smooth the edge some more. About three minutes worth. Finally I carefully glazed the edge with a butane cigaret lighter. Very carefully. The screen is nearly perfect. Short ... but well fashioned.
So - did it help with the wind and noise?
tn-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #19
spsduc
spsduc

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelgee
I bought an Arai TourX (or XD in US speak) a few months ago in the winter sales, and at speeds above 60mph it's bloody awful, noisy and loads of vibration from the peak.
But then I didn't expect any different - it is after all just an MX lid with a visor, and the peak IS going to catch the wind and vibrate - it's simple aerodynamics at the end of the day.
Rather than chopping down the bike's screen, wouldn't it just be a hell of a lot easier just to remove the peak, ie use the helmet the way Arai designed it to be used - with the peak off for fast road riding. Or do some people just prefer the looks and pose value of the 'off-road' style MX lid, over practical considerations like wind noise??

FWIW using my regular Arai Astro R for road riding, I don't have a problem with buffeting at any speed, and find the fairing and screen pretty effective at keeping the worst of the wind/weather at bay on longer trips.
The problem wasn't the peak vibrating, it still does that a bit as the speed gets up as you would expect from this type of helmet. It's the turbelance that skakes your head about. I have an Arai RX7 Corsair, but it was just as bad. I always wear ear plugs anyway as I believe they are necessary no matter what helmet you wear(IMO). So that keeps the noise down. It all depends on your height, it's as simple as that. Trim it down until the buffeting goes away. Thats what worked for me.
Cheers,
spsduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #20
idahoskiguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
The XD is a POS for touring - while I like my XD for most adventure conditions it really is too noisey at speed for any distance. The visor is a source of much of the noise. Nice job on the windshield.

Just my $.02
idahoskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #21
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Man, for a fella that got to ride on a perfect, sunny, 70 degree day while the rest of us were at work,
you sure do whinge alot
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #22
NothingClever
Dirt Winger

Oddometer: 1,097
Any Brits have an www.Airoh.com they'd like to comment on?

They've received great reviews at www.webbikeworld.com . They're available via eBay here in the colony but I'm weighing the risks of buying and shipping one without having tried it on.

Any comments concerning the Airoh helmet are appreciated.

And a little Swedish rocket from Varese, Italy has me a mile high

NothingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #23
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
I am also cursed by the XD + 950 wind screen problem. But I fixed most of it.

Better wind protection and buffeting:

XD Noisy: Jammed ear plugs into the top two vents.

XD Visor Buzzing: Helmet Skin
Also makes my silver XD more visible. But the Helmet Skin tends to flap in the wind. I stuck the single fuzzy side of Velcro on the inside of the skin to stiffen it up.

When it comes down to a 3 hour freeway only ride at high speed, I just take the XD visor off.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:33 PM   #24
scottr OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware
Man, for a fella that got to ride on a perfect, sunny, 70 degree day while the rest of us were at work,
you sure do whinge alot
It's this turbine driven cricket that lives in my right ear.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #25
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,739
Arai XD!

The peak looks cool but realastically the only benefit is being able to lower your head to get out of the sun for visability. A while back I tried a trick I learned here and it works pretty good. On a regular visor helmut simply instal a piece of black electrical tape across the top of the visor. Ducking your head a little in the sun is almost as good as the peak.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:13 AM   #26
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABCH950
Also the the helmet peak seems to vibrate a bit too. I think this causes a low frew vib to be transmitted to the helmet (XD) then to the ears. I can put my finger on the peak and the low freq. noise seems to be reduced about 50%.

here are my specs

5-10
05 model with stepped gel seat
Arai XD helmet
earplugs
My specs are very similar - 5 11
03 Model with old style seat
Arai XD helmet
no earplugs

I was riding my mates bike described above, and he had cut an almight hole in the screen - Naca duct style - and I was quite surprised that I could see clearly without vibration with the visor up up to 180km/h. I had sunglasses on, but this was unheard of for me previously on a stock screen.

Heres what I did to cure my peak vibration on the Arai - 2 layers of glass fibre and a bit of resin - voila. I then rattle canned it black to blend in nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingClever
Any Brits have an www.Airoh.com they'd like to comment on?
Well I aint Brit, though we were colonised like half the civilised world. Thank God Almighty, we are free!

I tried an Airoh on for size, and the build quality is so laughable, its scary. It has the feel of a 5 year old bmw plastic helmet with foam in it. I mean, bmx. Sorry, that was a genuine freudian, and I thought I would leave it in for laughs.

The airoh is the most inferior quality looking helmet I have ever laid eyes on. And... the visor was taken to a local optometrist who declared it unsafe and bad news for the eyes. The Arai XD came back with good marks btw.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:11 AM   #27
Achechino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I've ordered a ktm's touring screen too....
Achechino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:04 AM   #28
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,885
I put on the Touratech spoiler. Now it does not do that much, but I found what it did do was stop the high frequency vibration of my XD visor. But thats all it does. Small improvement so I kept it.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:42 AM   #29
emelgee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveInTheOutdoors
I tried an Airoh on for size, and the build quality is so laughable, its scary. It has the feel of a 5 year old bmw plastic helmet with foam in it. I mean, bmx. Sorry, that was a genuine freudian, and I thought I would leave it in for laughs.

The airoh is the most inferior quality looking helmet I have ever laid eyes on. And... the visor was taken to a local optometrist who declared it unsafe and bad news for the eyes. The Arai XD came back with good marks btw.
+1 on that. I took a look at the Airoh and also the HJC, which is sold at a similar price - they're probably OK for short trips around town, but for serious riding I wouldn't even consider them. On one of them (HJC I think) the visor didn't even close flush to the helmet - there was a 5mm gap most of the way around it. It wouldn't be very nice if you had to spend a day riding in the rain wearing one of those!

KTM 990 rider and proud of it!!

950 adventure gone, but not forgotten.
emelgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #30
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Oddometer: 711
GoNow,
Your solution looks good.I did a very similar job. I now use a C bailys 15 in with an enlargened (bent in ) naca duct with a deflector on the inside to channel the air above my head. It works great !!
Although there are different ways to skin this cat,......I think from my experience and the NUMOROUS posts on the subject, the 2 most effective fixes are 1) let some air through a duct to break up the "dirty" air behind the screen and 2) direct air over your head.
Hope this helps someone !
Killer Whale KTM

Killer Whale KTM screwed with this post 03-27-2009 at 05:28 AM
Killer Whale KTM is offline   Reply With Quote