ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (<1000cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #31
gavP
Old enough to know better

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah

You need to do something. Tinitus (ringing ears) is annoying and incurable. I have it, so I know. I am pretty sure my riding brought it on as I never wore ear plugs untill the last two seasons.
I suffer with this too, don't think its been caused by bike riding, doctor says stress related.
gavP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #32
tn-steve
Addicted

Oddometer: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavP
I suffer with this too, don't think its been caused by bike riding, doctor says stress related.
Riding bikes = less stress

Therefore, it sounds like yours is bike related - your not riding enough...
tn-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #33
Hambone950
Mas Naranjas Por Favor!

Oddometer: 676
egads

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr
This is gonna take some gettin used to:
Bit drastic no?
Cheers
H
Old 03-07-2007, 04:06 PM   #34
Pete156
I love to eat!

Oddometer: 1,440
[QUOTE=scottr]This is gonna take some gettin used to:

You'll like it more and more. I did the same radical cut about a year ago and have ridden all along with the XD (am 6"4"). I don't mind being in the wind so long as the wind is consistent. The OEM shield was the worst, buffeting that Arai like there was no tomorrow. The cut has made all the difference. For all but 400+ mile days, it works just great.
Pete156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #35
scottr OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Rode about an hour today. Much better. Air coming over my little 'screenlet' is much cleaner. No turbulence. I am tempted to look into a Schuberth or some other helmet for long distance riding.
scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:23 PM   #36
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottr
The ringing in my bad left ear is getting worse. It's getting worse cause the freeking windscreen on my 950 dumps a torrent of confused air right in my face and there's a constant roar in my head. This is with good foam earplugs shoved all the way into my ear canal. Arai XD.

After three or four hours it becomes really bad. If I stand up on the pegs its like another world. Absolutely quiet ... given the earplugs.

So yesterday in the middle of my ride I took the dingdang screen OFF. straped it to the seat behind me. Much better. Looked wierd having that nice unobstructed view out over the dash. My mirrors seemed somehow exposed and lonely.

I did notice the effort it was taking to resist the wind pressure towards the end of my ride. If one was going cross country it might be a bit much. No it WOULD be a bit much. I've got the new big 'touring' screen on order from KTM. I will report.

But I'm going out right now and chop most of this original puppy OFF. Pics to follow.

i pretty much have the same problem.

the ringing is bad and it's pretty much non stop even when i'm not riding now.

i used to ride lots of long distance miles but avoid long trips now for the agony i would have to endure as a result.

it sucks as i find the 950 very comfortable but the ringing is torture.

i wore an XD for a while but found it to be punishing on the 950. let me say this, if you're riding the 950 at highway speeds with an XD and not wearing quality ear plugs you're going to be in for a rude awakening.

i'm wearing the Shoei Hornet and it's much quieter though still not ideal. i wear my street helmet most days as it's just a better helmet for wind noise.

so are they doing successful ear drum transplants yet?

fwiw, i've found the duke mirrors and acerbis handguard combination relieve a lot of the noise from buffeting, in addition to a naca duct or hacked off screen of course.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #37
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,079
Has anybody tried modifying the sides of the stock screen? It seems to me that lots of the turbulence is coming around the sides.
Crank her up to about 80 and put your hand around the top, sides, in the mirror area, and the sides have all the turbulence.
When I bought my 950 the guy had cut the screen, (actually a butcher job) way down and the airstream was naturally calmer than with the stocker I have on now. I like the protection of the stocker, but will be doing something with it.
I agree that the mirrors have a part in this, but I'm thinking that a combination of shorter mirrors with some vertical slots cut in the sides may be worth trying.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #38
idahoskiguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Here is mod I did, do not know if the mirrors helped with the noise but they sure work good at protecting you from brush and branches.

idahoskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #39
fnckr
Do you wanna play too?

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Has anybody tried modifying the sides of the stock screen? It seems to me that lots of the turbulence is coming around the sides.
I was thinking the same thing. The 950 screen is like a pole flowing through air or water. Much more air flows around the sides than over the top. The eddies it creates behind the screen, I feel, are vertical and move right and left instead of up and down.

Here's my idea, just not sure how to implement it.

In summary, create an air blanket along the rear vertical edges of the screen that prevents outside air from turning back into the screen to fill the pressure void.

Cut holes in the bottom front of the screen and surround them with some kind of open hood. The hood helps scoop more air than just what flows over the holes.

Behind the screen, using some smooth piping or shaped channel, direct the air to flow at the back vertical edge of each side of the screen.

That directed air would help alleviate the vacuum at the reard edges and prevent the outside air from turning back and rushing to fill the void behind/inside the screen.

The scoops I believe are necessary because they increase the volume of air inside the screen, and correspondingly, decrease the volume flowing over and outside the screen.

This view from left:

..................A /
.................A /
................A /
...............A /
..............A /
.............A /
............A /
.....A \___/
---->
.....A ___
.....A/.. /
.......A /

OR hood captures vertical flowing air (Air =A) instead of air flowing up and over

This view is from above:
A ....................AAAAAAAA
A ................../ A/
A ................./ A/
A ................/ A/
A .............../ A/
A......... ___/ A /
---> A ........A /
A ...............| |
---> ...........| |
A ...............| |
---> A....___ A \
A................ \ A \
A ...................\ A\
A.................... \ A \
A ......................\ A\
A...................... AAAAAAAAAAA

fnckr screwed with this post 03-08-2007 at 01:05 PM
fnckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #40
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Snap!!!!!

Uh, could you please repeat that. I broke my pencil.

-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #41
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnckr
I was thinking the same thing. The 950 screen is like a pole flowing through air or water. Much more air flows around the sides than over the top. The eddies it creates behind the screen, I feel, are vertical and move right and left instead of up and down.

In summary, create an air blanket along the rear vertical edges of the screen that prevents outside air from turning back into the screen to fill the pressure void.

Cut holes in the bottom front of the screen and surround them with some kind of open hood. The hood helps scoop more air than just what flows over the holes.

Behind the screen, using some smooth piping or shaped channel, direct the air to flow at the back vertical edge of each side of the screen.

That directed air would help alleviate the vacuum at the reard edges and prevent the outside air from turning back and rushing to fill the void behind/inside the screen.

The scoops I believe are necessary because they increase the volume of air inside the screen, and correspondingly, decrease the volume flowing over and outside the screen.

This view from left:

..................A /
.................A /
................A /
...............A /
..............A /
.............A /
............A /
.....A \___/
---->
.....A ___
.....A/.. /
.......A /

OR hood captures vertical flowing air (Air =A) instead of air flowing up and over

This view is from above:
A ....................AAAAAAAA
A ................../ A/
A ................./ A/
A ................/ A/
A .............../ A/
A......... ___/ A /
---> A ........A /
A ...............| |
---> ...........| |
A ...............| |
---> A....___ A \
A................ \ A \
A ...................\ A\
A.................... \ A \
A ......................\ A\
A...................... AAAAAAAAAAA

I'll bet you knock em dead when text messaging!

I'm headed to the shop to see what I can do to the sides. The worst that can happen is I buy another screen.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #42
KTRMN8R
Sand Camel

Oddometer: 1,213
Wicked

Just so happens,...I speak gibberish :

[quote=fnckr]I was thinking the same thing. The 950 screen is like a pole flowing through air or water. Much more air flows around the sides than over the top. The eddies it creates behind the screen(buffeting), I feel, are vertical and move right and left instead of up and down.

In summary, create an air blanket along the rear vertical edges of the screen(factory mounted screen)that prevents outside air from turning back into the screen to fill the pressure void.

Cut holes(3 naca ducts) in the bottom front of the screen(extra screen in GoNOW's pic) and surround them with some kind of open hood(did that with the naca duct). The hood helps scoop more air than just what flows over the holes.

Behind the screen, using some smooth piping or shaped channel, direct the air to flow at the back vertical edge of each side of the screen.(did that with the naca duct too)

That directed air would help alleviate the vacuum at the reard edges and prevent the outside air from turning back and rushing to fill the void behind/inside the screen.(might stop buffeting)

I don't know if I agree or disagree with your theory,... but this is what you are askin' for. Hope it helps.

The orange thingies on the pic below are scribbled in NACA duct representations.
Attached Images

God Bless & Godspeed!

KTRMN8R screwed with this post 03-08-2007 at 06:52 PM
KTRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:39 AM   #43
fnckr
Do you wanna play too?

Oddometer: 79
Um yeeeaaahhh..... a picture is worth a thousand words and I did the opposite.... I write these from work so can't upload anything.

KTRMN8R gets most of it though. Is there a pocket version of you?

Your picture is almost there. Turn the front duct around so it's like a flush hood scoop on a funny car. And, I'm not sure you need the two on the side. Then, seal the top space between your two screens so that air can only escape from the rear sides.

Can you hear me now?
fnckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #44
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnckr
Um yeeeaaahhh..... a picture is worth a thousand words and I did the opposite.... I write these from work so can't upload anything.

KTRMN8R gets most of it though. Is there a pocket version of you?

Your picture is almost there. Turn the front duct around so it's like a flush hood scoop on a funny car. And, I'm not sure you need the two on the side. Then, seal the top space between your two screens so that air can only escape from the rear sides.

Can you hear me now?
You have a PM.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #45
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,417
This has been discussed endlessly for a few years. Try a search on NACA ducts. Or you can check my old post here or a page I put up on our site here.

Basically this is what you want to do:

This solves the problem.
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote