Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #61
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Non UK people - Road Fund licence (or tax disc) is the round paper thing MarkN has put behind his screen - needed to ride/drive on UK roads.

MarkN - where's that lane?????

cheers

Markie
Old 03-13-2007, 02:58 PM   #62
KTRMN8R
Sand Camel

Oddometer: 1,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnckr
Not to go against the common wisdom but the NACA ducts at the front don't seem to be real NACA ducts. They're just a hole with an airstream redirecting wall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_duct

I don't even think a true NACA duct works here or is even necessary. I'm talking about harnessing the "ram effect" of the air stream to compress air and have it flow faster out of the rear sides, and possibly top, of the windshield to counteract the negative pressure immediately behind the windshield.

The hood is necessary to help gather a large volume of air.

BTW, I found that bending polycarbonate requires some complex techniques. So that's out. I'll see if I can rough something together from something found online.
Loosely translated , what Charlie Brown's teacher just said is:

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, bla , blah , blah , blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

God Bless & Godspeed!
KTRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #63
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:42 AM   #64
Fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,051
Sorry if this has been suggested before. I'm around 5'11" and I have no problems with the stock screen whether I'm wearing a full face or a MX lid.

But a friend of mine who is probably around 5'9" and wears the XD lid was having problems. Another BMW owning friend lent him I believe it's made by Touratech, wind deflector that clamps on to the GS windscreen. Problem solved.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:50 AM   #65
Swashplate
50 MSL & 150 KTS

Oddometer: 1,172
I am 5-10, XD, stepped/gel seat on a 05 model, tried the TT thing-no good for me. I just did the 2 NACA duct thing last night. That was pretty easy, but have not taken it out for spin yet.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:52 AM   #66
Swashplate
50 MSL & 150 KTS

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama
This has been discussed endlessly for a few years. Try a search on NACA ducts. Or you can check my old post here or a page I put up on our site here.

Basically this is what you want to do:

This solves the problem.
Just did to mine last night......results to be posted later.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:44 AM   #67
fnckr
Do you wanna play too?

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnckr
Not to go against the common wisdom but the NACA ducts at the front don't seem to be real NACA ducts. They're just a hole with an airstream redirecting wall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_duct

I don't even think a true NACA duct works here or is even necessary. I'm talking about harnessing the "ram effect" of the air stream to compress air and have it flow faster out of the rear sides, and possibly top, of the windshield to counteract the negative pressure immediately behind the windshield.

The hood is necessary to help gather a large volume of air.

BTW, I found that bending polycarbonate requires some complex techniques. So that's out. I'll see if I can rough something together from something found online.

Loosely translated , what Charlie Brown's teacher just said is:

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, bla , blah , blah , blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

I'm talking about creating a jet. Air scoops are the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future. It's the way of the future.... ....Said the crazy billionare...
fnckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #68
KTRMN8R
Sand Camel

Oddometer: 1,211
Cheers!

God Bless & Godspeed!
KTRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:16 PM   #69
methosSP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Hey guys, greetings from Spain!

What about the KTM optional one?

I can't say i really like it but.....if i had an 950adv i'd put one
methosSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:51 PM   #70
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738

Attached Images

Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #71
scottr OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768

You know we could work this to our advantage.
scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #72
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,486
My screen looks like a cheese grater, I've cut 4 1/2" off but I'm still getting some noise.

Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:15 AM   #73
scottr OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
My screen looks like a cheese grater, I've cut 4 1/2" off but I'm still getting some noise.

I thought you said we'd never know.
scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:19 PM   #74
klx400kev
Faster in the dirt

Oddometer: 87
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...elmet/arai-xd/

(Copied from the link above)
Noise Levels
What's the price? In my opinion, severe noise levels. This is a deal killer for me. Whenever I wear the XD behind a short fairing or on an unfaired bike, the noise caused by the top vents is pretty much unbearable. And don't forget, we always wear correctly inserted earplugs when we ride (See the wBW Earplugs and Hearing Protection page). I can't imagine how much louder the noise level would be without earplugs...
Old 03-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #75
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Whoops! Looks like folks'll have to lose the XD now

Aloha
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote