User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #811
LC8TY
must......find.......fuel

Oddometer: 2,297
Bending a lip on the stock screen?

I did that to a AJ screen, it was hard to keep the lip bend uniform because you have to pull it against the original bend of the screen, and try to hold it in the right position untill it cools. I used a wet rag to help it but it takes a few minutes before the plastic is hard enough not to return back to the original shape.

This screen was 75mm (3 inch) higher than the stock one an worked 100% better.

to hear the cannonball a roar'n!
LC8TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #812
lc8john
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
Jeez, guys. Making an exact copy of someone else's design and selling it?

Well, I don't pretend to sell anything.
Just want to solve my issue.
The deal is this, you get me a model, I ask my friend to make two in CF or Fiber glass, one for me, one for you.

Cheers,
J.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #813
billbart
Just this guy

Oddometer: 34
Shoei Hornet Solved my buffeting problem!

Hi Everyone. I have been riding my 990 for about a year with the Arai XD3. I had to take the visor off of it after the first few rides or I thought I would suffer some sort of vibration caused brain damage. The buffeting was terrible until the helmet visor was removed. However, when riding with the sun low and in front, it was very hard on my eyes (even with the old tape trick on the face shield). Today I decided to get a Shoei Hornet. I can't believe how much better it is! Very minor buffeting at 70mph and it is almost as smooth as the XD3 without its visor. I sure wish I bought the Shoei in the beginning. No more interest in modifying my wind screen
billbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:51 PM   #814
w72315
woody

Oddometer: 112
I agree with LC8John.

I have numerous reasons to wanting a TT style (or more correctly a rally bike) light setup.

1. I'm building a Meoni replica. (primary reason!!)
2. I have the Euro light and it's adequate but not to the spec I want. The Hella lights are vastly better that the stock lights. (I know, I've used them in other vehicles.)
3. The TT setup is a blatant rip off and someone needs to put them in their place. All up, I am looking at nearly $1700AUD for something I can make for half the price, and look better!
4. Although I don't really care about the wind buffeting me, it could be better. On the freeway today with my new O'neal MX helmet, I was pretty tired by the end of the ride. If this can be reduced, then it has to be a benefit.

Thus I want to kill 4 birds with one stone!
w72315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #815
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti
Touring screen worked for me, no noise @ 130-140 km/h, don't need more speed when cruising on the highway.
All of the above is wrong. Goti, are you stupid? Touring screen didn't worked for me.
I guess in my short trips I wasn't able to feel how bad the touring screen can be. Then...

...I was on the road in a not-so-short-trip, Santiago-Ushuaia-Santiago, 9,000 km. Begun with the touring screen and at 300-400 km from Santiago I was having blur vision so I stopped by the KTM dealer in Chillan, bought a stock screen and sent the touring screen by mail back to Santiago.
Stock screen sucks too, more noise but at least I was able to see where i was going.

So now I have two stock and one touring screens laying here. Will try a Ricardo and a SuperRicardo.

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #816
IBJim
WhoUB?

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
All of the above is wrong. Goti, are you stupid? Touring screen didn't worked for me.
I guess in my short trips I wasn't able to feel how bad the touring screen can be. Then...

...I was on the road in a not-so-short-trip, Santiago-Ushuaia-Santiago, 9,000 km. Begun with the touring screen and at 300-400 km from Santiago I was having blur vision so I stopped by the KTM dealer in Chillan, bought a stock screen and sent the touring screen by mail back to Santiago.
Stock screen sucks too, more noise but at least I was able to see where i was going.

So now I have two stock and one touring screens laying here. Will try a Ricardo and a SuperRicardo.
15 minutes of the Touring Screen reminded me that the stocker wasn't all that bad! That's how long it took me to ride back from the dealer with it on, unbolt it, and sell it to another inmate (who I hope liked it much better than I did!) The "Alien" works well for some (the vertically challenged, I suspect ), and the SuperRicardo (a la Cyborg) is the cat's ass for many. For me, I like to clip a fugly piece or lexan to the stocker. Different strokes...
IBJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #817
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,591
Quote:

C'mon Goti...... 9,000 Kms??????? you drove to Panama or what?

PS: I recently drove Monterrey-Leon-Monterrey like 1,200 kms. total and found the best thing for wind noise is driving above 150 km/hr.
KTM 990 ADV 07 sold Member #68,893
An exmilitary fast-jet pilot that is well aware of the challenges in keeping complex machines running, which owns and runs a string of aviation companies and teaches daily the management of complex engineering said: Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:54 AM   #818
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturi
C'mon Goti...... 9,000 Kms??????? you drove to Panama or what?

PS: I recently drove Monterrey-Leon-Monterrey like 1,200 kms. total and found the best thing for wind noise is driving above 150 km/hr.
Well, it was only 8,853 km
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12068515@N02/

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Old 04-13-2009, 01:08 AM   #819
LatvianStallion
LatvianStallion

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelgee
+1 on that. I took a look at the Airoh and also the HJC, which is sold at a similar price - they're probably OK for short trips around town, but for serious riding I wouldn't even consider them. On one of them (HJC I think) the visor didn't even close flush to the helmet - there was a 5mm gap most of the way around it. It wouldn't be very nice if you had to spend a day riding in the rain wearing one of those!
I have had the Airoh for 3 years now and it is a very shitty helmet for touring and the build quality is terrible. Now I am researching what to buy next very carefully - I d rather pay more but get quality and comfort.

I am 6"2"" and the original windscreen on the 990 doesn t work for me very well, but I really don t like the looks of the KTM touring screen. Really looking at some alternatives but nothing convincing in the first two pages of this thread:( Except perhaps for the Hyderacing screen.

Yesterday did 250km highway ride and my ears are still hurting, I guess I ll have to get some earplugs at least for now.
Russia - Urals
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443654
LatvianStallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:47 AM   #820
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianStallion
I have had the Airoh for 3 years now and it is a very shitty helmet for touring and the build quality is terrible. Now I am researching what to buy next very carefully - I d rather pay more but get quality and comfort.

I am 6"2"" and the original windscreen on the 990 doesn t work for me very well, but I really don t like the looks of the KTM touring screen. Really looking at some alternatives but nothing convincing in the first two pages of this thread:( Except perhaps for the Hyderacing screen.

Yesterday did 250km highway ride and my ears are still hurting, I guess I ll have to get some earplugs at least for now.
You should wear earplugs when riding at high speeds. Always. It's more comfortable, but also will save your hearing.
Yours is an Airoh S4 ? It sucks at high speed on the KTM. Try an street helmet when on the street -with earplugs- and keep the Airoh for off road.

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Old 04-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #821
LatvianStallion
LatvianStallion

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee
I was at the official Dutch '09 model range introduction a week ago, held by KTM Holland. A regular ADV 990 and a 'R' model were parked there. I saw no difference to any other 950/990, in regard to the aerodynamics / screen / buffeting. Pity.
I tested the new Adventure and there is nothing improved on the aerodynamics.
Russia - Urals
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443654
LatvianStallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:15 AM   #822
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
I have an Airoh and it SUCKS on the 950 with the stock screen. Funny enough, it kicks ass on my Tiger Girlie. I actually think it's a very nice helmet, at half the cost of an XD3.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:22 AM   #823
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,965
...anyone here want to get rid of their old stock screen?...I have an idea.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #824
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzlvr
Using the KTM touring windscreen, would a 6' rider be looking thru the screen? Is the screen in the middle of vision?

At 6 feet you will look over the screen.. not thru it

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #825
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor
Found this and as cold as it has been, I think I like it.

Wow, this thread is still going? Dang...
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote