Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #826
Axe_Edge
In the wind 7d/wk

Oddometer: 137
Hornet DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianStallion
I have had the Airoh for 3 years now and it is a very shitty helmet for touring and the build quality is terrible. Now I am researching what to buy next very carefully - I d rather pay more but get quality and comfort.

I am 6"2"" and the original windscreen on the 990 doesn t work for me very well, but I really don t like the looks of the KTM touring screen. Really looking at some alternatives but nothing convincing in the first two pages of this thread:( Except perhaps for the Hyderacing screen.

Yesterday did 250km highway ride and my ears are still hurting, I guess I ll have to get some earplugs at least for now.
I'm a little over 6' 2" (34" inseam), stock screen, hearplugs, and my HORNET DS .

Really, borrow one and go for a long trip. It served me great this year during >3,000 miles in Baja 1/2 slab (hauling a##) and 1/2 dirt, sand, mud, rock, creeks, cactus needles, a dog, 3 days of constant rain, etc... The peak isn't as long as the XD's. I wouldn't mind an aftermarket peak when needed, but the oem one is good enough.

I attribute my good fortune to having the DS in pretty clean air. After reading and studying these threads for ADV screens for a couple of years, I've found that clean air rules. The rain was no big deal with Rain-X.

(earplugs should be worn, anyway)

/Hornet fanboy hijack
69 CT-90

Axe_Edge screwed with this post 04-13-2009 at 09:29 PM
Axe_Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:17 PM   #827
gweaver
Wandering between rooms

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama

Wow, this thread is still going? Dang...
Eh- gives me a place to check in and see what new developments are out there. That, and it keeps folks from starting dozens of new threads about the windscreen.

G

I like my women like I like my instant oatmeal- quick, easy, and covered in facts about dinosaurs.
gweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #828
625SXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Probably already discussed.... But I have read and didn't see it......

My Bro just made some aluminum spacers to do the windsheild mod. The upper screw is spaced out an inch, Middle screw about half inch and lower screw in stock location. There is rubber weather strip running parallel with screws. He did this only using the stock windshield and WITHOUT another cut one underneath it. Will it work this way? Buffering still appears to be there on the initial test ride.
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
2003 KTM 200SX/EXC hybrid
625SXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #829
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
I was able to fix 85 % of my buffetting problem with

KTM Touring screen and Touratech clip on spoiler thing..

Going to remove the mirrors tommorow and see if I need to go get the Super Moto mirrors..

I am 6'5
I wear a Arai Street helmet soon to be a Hornet..

Paul

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #830
Hipster-Dufus
Swim the East River

Oddometer: 147
I might as well make some comments:

Stock is not working for me. Does fine until 60 mph then I get the neck workout. Heavy winds and crosswinds are not good at all. My new Hornet DS is much better than my old Scorpion. I can't wear earplugs - the drumming is bad.

My Cee Bailey #2 14" light grey will arrive Fri p.m. and I'll try it out on Saturday.

The eventual goal is to be able to wear earplugs or listen to XM with helmet speakers and cruise down the freeway with ease.

The straw that broke the camels back happened two weeks ago as I'm getting whuped on I-10 and some Hogs pass by with this dude wearing a baseball cap and a cig in his mouth, riding smooth on his Road King.

Having spent at least 7 hours of my life on this thread, I know that through trial and error I will one day me able to ride my Katoom on I-10 and wear a baseball hat and have a cig (the candy type as I don't smoke) in my mouth. It's all about looking cool...

hip

Nothing beats a Butter Shave
Hipster-Dufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #831
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,408
The cure to buffeting problems! Posted by Flatblack80. Just run down to Lowes and get yourself one of these!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatblack80

Hayduke screwed with this post 04-20-2009 at 01:51 PM
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #832
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster-Dufus
The eventual goal is to be able to wear earplugs or listen to XM with helmet speakers and cruise down the freeway with ease.
OT for sure but the only way to listen to music on a bike is with custom made headphones - helmet speakers just don't work. Why put in ear plugs only to have to play louder music to hear through them? I have a set of BigEars that are amazing (no, resist the urge...). You can listen to an ipod at half volume at 70mph.

Sorry for the interuption. Okay, resume wacky windscreen solutions.
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #833
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke

Is that a composting bin?
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #834
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,734
Looks like one of those window protectors you put on a basement window.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:41 AM   #835
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABiker
Looks like one of those window protectors you put on a basement window.

Buffeting, gone.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:06 AM   #836
RXV_Poor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Question

Quote:
The cure to buffeting problems! Posted by Flatblack80. Just run down to Lowes and get yourself one of these!

How does it handle in cross wind?
07 KTM 525EXC
07 Aprilia RXV 550
AMA, BLC, D36, IMBA, STM
Disclaimer:

I'm impulsive, hard headed and sometimes really stupid. Please do not take anything I say or do as a "correct thing" or a "fix" as it could be harmful to your wallet or person.
RXV_Poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:27 AM   #837
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Like a spinaker on a sailing boat

www.lobagola.com Bed & Breakfast in Zagreb
Frgich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #838
625SXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Buffeting, gone.
100% true..... I have NO BUFFETING in my basement
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
2003 KTM 200SX/EXC hybrid
625SXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #839
IBJim
WhoUB?

Oddometer: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by 625SXC
Probably already discussed.... But I have read and didn't see it......

My Bro just made some aluminum spacers to do the windsheild mod. The upper screw is spaced out an inch, Middle screw about half inch and lower screw in stock location. There is rubber weather strip running parallel with screws. He did this only using the stock windshield and WITHOUT another cut one underneath it. Will it work this way? Buffering still appears to be there on the initial test ride.
I don't think so. You need to cut the stock screen down to next-to-nill using it as a backstop to force air along the new leading screen thereby braking up the vacuum pocket that forms at speed. Well, maybe my explanation isn't 100% correct but that's the main idea. Search for posts here by Cyborg--he's the guru of this mod. Read Cyborg's full thesis here...
http://www.ktm950.info/how/Farkels/a...en/cyborg.html
IBJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #840
stickfigure
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianStallion
I have had the Airoh for 3 years now and it is a very shitty helmet for touring and the build quality is terrible. Now I am researching what to buy next very carefully - I d rather pay more but get quality and comfort.
The most amazing thing about this thread is that 100 people can post in 56 pages and produce diametrically opposing opinions about any subject, not just the windscreen.

I spent all of 2008 riding 20k miles to Panama and back on a 640A with the Airoh S4. I just got back from a two-week trip into Baja on a 990A with the same helmet. I *love* it. The build quality is great, no worse than my Shoei Multitech at any rate. The S4 weighs next to nothing, the visor has no optical distortion, and the chin strap clip is the bees' knees. If "touring" to you means nothing but high-speed slab, you bought the wrong motorcycle!

Yes, the helmet is less than stellar at 90+ mph (which mine regularly sees) but the only way to improve that will be to remove the brim. On the other hand, the brim is awesome at keeping the sun off the dust-spattered visor so I can see.

I actually don't find it very loud. It's quieter than the Multitech. I always wear earplugs. I used to use Etymotics E-6i speakers as earplugs, now I just use regular earplugs and the Autocom speakers in my helmet. Works great, and the audio fidelity is surprisingly good.

I'm also disappointed with the stock windscreen on the 990A, but I didn't notice it until I actually tried standing up and testing the airflow. This is all you FF's fault for bringing it to my attention. Bastards. I'm going to try a Cee Bailey screen for Alaska this summer and probably cut my stocker down a few inches to match the cool pattern someone posted here a while ago.

Jeff