Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #841
sakurama
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickfigure
The most amazing thing about this thread is that 100 people can post in 56 pages and produce diametrically opposing opinions about any subject, not just the windscreen.
No, I disagree with that.
sakurama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #842
Katoomer
Silver Surfer

Oddometer: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama
No, I disagree with that.
Agreed.
Katoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #843
Trailie
Can still fog a mirror

Oddometer: 27
The stock screen buffets. The Cee Bailey is worse. Ricardo a little better, but not very good. The problem it that the screen is too far away from your face. Look at any touring/sport touring setup.
The best solution I have tried is to make a larger screen by heating and bending it over a wooden form. Then I cut it and took out a pie shaped piece from either side, so that it tips back about 30 degrees more. I cannot make a compound bend, so I drilled and safety wired the two pieces together.Then I put a touratech type spoiler on the top. It is the best for me. Ugly? you bet. Now I see Rifle is doing something similar, but neater than I did. I am waiting...
Trailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:18 AM   #844
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,761
Can't believe I read the whole thing.

New 990. Short 5'8" rider, Scorpian helmet. The buffeting hasn't bothered me until it warmed up and I started riding without my face shield as I often like to do. I think I'll try the penny tech Touratech clip on spoiler thing. I have a month long solo trip to the Rockies planned this summer and might want more protection for interstate travel. I do like smooth wind in my face though, hate to be behind layers of plastic from the world.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:45 AM   #845
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailie
The stock screen buffets. The Cee Bailey is worse. Ricardo a little better, but not very good. The problem it that the screen is too far away from your face. Look at any touring/sport touring setup.
The best solution I have tried is to make a larger screen by heating and bending it over a wooden form. Then I cut it and took out a pie shaped piece from either side, so that it tips back about 30 degrees more. I cannot make a compound bend, so I drilled and safety wired the two pieces together.Then I put a touratech type spoiler on the top. It is the best for me. Ugly? you bet. Now I see Rifle is doing something similar, but neater than I did. I am waiting...
If all you do is street ride the KTM9xx Adv's then by all means sweep the fairing way back. The problem with those setups is if you occasionally do take these monsters offroad. Then you can easily end up with a facefull of too close fairing edge when you move back and forth standing up. Always a compromise...
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #846
Corni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Sorry, I didn't read all 57 pages of this thread.. Got something like first 10 and then decided to ask.. I'm new to this forum and this bike (Adventure 990) so please be kind to me..

Please suggest something what to do on this frigging banging noice that goes untolerable at speeds over 100km/h ~60mph.. With earplugs it's still ok to drive like 80km/h or 50mph but on higher speeds I feel like being beat by shovel on my helmet...

I'm 183cm / 6ft tall and using Schuberth C2 helmet. Wouldn't want to rape my windshield (at least not yet) so any other effective thing to do?

Help grrreatly appreciated.
Corni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #847
codys
Lost in the Vizcaino

Oddometer: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corni
Sorry, I didn't read all 57 pages of this thread.. Got something like first 10 and then decided to ask.. I'm new to this forum and this bike (Adventure 990) so please be kind to me..

Please suggest something what to do on this frigging banging noice that goes untolerable at speeds over 100km/h ~60mph.. With earplugs it's still ok to drive like 80km/h or 50mph but on higher speeds I feel like being beat by shovel on my helmet...

I'm 183cm / 6ft tall and using Schuberth C2 helmet. Wouldn't want to rape my windshield (at least not yet) so any other effective thing to do?

1) try a different helmet. Sportier helmets help. YOur current helmet is pretty good though.
2)chop it. Clean air is quiet air.
3) Get a huge ugly wind screen and hide behind it. ALso the first time off road it will smack you in the head.

This is what I took from this thread. I run my sportbike shoei x-11 for long road tours and my shoei hornet for local stuff where I'll be running lower speeds and offroad more.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #848
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
Quote:
Wouldn't want to rape my windshield (at least not yet) so any other effective thing to do?
Definately rape your windshield. Its the right thing to do. If you had taken the trouble to read the whole 57 pages, you would have seen how effective that is, on page 37. As you were soldier!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #849
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Well I made the penny tech version of the Touratech clip on spoiler thing. No hole in this version but it worked up to 70 mph today. Short hop for grilling meat but it seemed good. Wore a dirt helmet with sun glasses. Might make one for my brother.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #850
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,301
Greenfly, Pics?
Old 04-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #851
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky
...you would have seen how effective that is, on page 37.

Hmmm... I have read all 57 pages. I didn't get the impression that the NACA ducts were all that effective. I'm 6'2", 34" inseam, and the buffeting drives me bonkers.
Now that winter's over and it's time to ride ( ) I'm gonna go do the Yellow Pig mod to mine: take a jigsaw to the damn thing. Clean air beats buffeting, any day. I've still got YP's template, I've sent out a bunch of copies, and I plan to tape/mark/CHOP my windshield tomorrow.
Ride report will follow.

NCW Mike

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:21 AM   #852
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,170
Old 04-26-2009, 04:45 AM   #853
amaunu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:

Try mirrors at first. longer shaft and you get much less buffeting from mirrors. or drive littlebit slower. under 100 kph buffeting is guite quiet.

drive standing then air is smooth like silk. Anyway get used to it, sorry.

I am same length than you and tried to find solution aswell. But like reading all this, one is for shure,, there is no solution to this buffeting thing. (maybe trade it to GSA, but we would not doo that, do we?)

KTM Adv 1190
KTM RC8 tracktoy
Gsxr 600 Project
amaunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #854
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Definitely rape your windshield.
Oh yeah! I did the Yellow Pig mod to mine today and took it for a ride afterwards. Due to hordes of tourists I could not get to/over 100mph, but can report that at highway + speeds it makes a HUGE difference. There's still a little bit of buffeting, but it's 90% gone. I might trim off another inch after I ride it for a week or two.

Before: The upper line is the YP template, the straight line below it is 4" off the top. I decided to try YP's mod first.

After:

Anybody else want a template?

NCW Mike

NCW Mike

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.

1911fan screwed with this post 04-26-2009 at 08:23 PM
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #855
Greenflyfarmer
I'm better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik
Greenfly, Pics?
Ok, gotta dig out the camera and charge the batteries, later in the week. It really is just a rounded rectangle of Home Depot lexan, $3.50, and I traced our the rounded corners with a sharpe and an old Harley cover plate that goes over a air filter cover. What? It hangs on a nail on the bench, first use it's had in many years. I spent the day mounting up the new GPS on the 990. Looks good.