Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2007, 08:27 AM   #76
HMR71
Significant Pickle

Oddometer: 342
A few days ago I ditched my Arai XD for a Shoei RF1000. WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?!!!

If only I still had my 950ADV...
HMR71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:06 AM   #77
Robert355
RObert355

Oddometer: 174
I thought some guys there order the spare screen from Katoom ?

Did you received it ? Test It ? and the result is ????

Yep really like to leave noise and buffeting ...

BOb
Robert355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:51 AM   #78
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
New overpriced TT..stuff..

I kinda like the turn up that should kick some of the flow to the sides. Those Hella DE HIDs would be nice too though I'm pretty certain I won't be spending my coin for one. Its 700 Euros in the German catalog, probably $1000 once here. Like the shape of it... note how they mounted the tripmaster too, I wouldn't put it on like that.

CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:00 AM   #79
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwoodys
I kinda like the turn up that should kick some of the flow to the sides. Those Hella DE HIDs would be nice too though I'm pretty certain I won't be spending my coin for one. Its 700 Euros in the German catalog, probably $1000 once here. Like the shape of it... note how they mounted the tripmaster too, I wouldn't put it on like that.
Yup. My tripmaster switch fits nice and convieniently right next to the left switch set.
Aloha

-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #80
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,441
I just jammed some earplugs in the top two vents of my XD. Noise problem solved.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:39 PM   #81
CMWoody
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
Yup. My tripmaster switch fits nice and convieniently right next to the left switch set.
Aloha

-cp

Looks like you velcroed it there CP. I put a little hole in my mirror stalk and tapped it for the M4 screw. Same place as yours though.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #82
andystephenson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkN
It's the only place to put your ADV Sticker!
I've been wondering where to put my tax disc. Seems obvious now.
andystephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #83
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Quote:
Looks like you velcroed it there CP. I put a little hole in my mirror stalk and tapped it for the M4 screw. Same place as yours though.
Used something a little stronger than Velcro. RTV. Been on there for 2 years and lots of offroad, mud, rain, sleet, etc., (you get the idea). Someday, I'll make it "permenant."

Aloha

-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #84
PeeBee
Giant leap for me!

Oddometer: 583
I had one of the first 2003 950S's. The skyscraper. I had my first 600 miles service scheduled at Sommer, some 120 miles away. The chief mech told me to rev it to red in 5th or 6th on the way over (Germany has no speed limits) to seat the valves properly before adjusting. O, and do that for 35 miles, from the border to their shop.

Right. I had cast earplugs and a Schuberth lid on, that I'd bought because of its claim to be a silent helmet. At 130 mph it felt like blood was dripping from my ears. Must have been way over 120 dB and it really hurt. I managed to keep it up for some 10 miles, and I did not hear a whole lot the rest of that day. It felt strange to be on a bike that's faster than bearable to the driver.

My year on the 950 has cost me a dear portion of my hearing. The audiologist (is that proper English?) that tested my ears was a biker himself. He told me he'd only had bikes with no or low fairings, that leave your head in a clean airstream. This because he had never driven a bike with a high fairing that generated an entirely clean airstream.

My 0.02 (and my 2 ears)
Old 03-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #85
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

That's a shame PeeBee. I haven't had much time behind the OEM screen. I've been using the "Original" mod One 13" Cee Bailey (I was a prototype tester. Long story) for 2+ years and over 30k miles. I always wear earplugs (el cheepo store boughts), and I have worked around jet engines and sirens for the past 33 years. I just had an extensive hearing evaluation related to my job. They pronounced me good to go. No hearing loss at all. I was surprised with all of the years of loud noise I've been subjected to. I guess some of us are just less suceptable to noise than others. I hope the best for you.

Aloha

-cp

-cp

Old 03-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #86
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 820
anyone try this?

KTM windscreen part #60008008100
powerparts for adventure
Denalidirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:15 PM   #87
PeeBee
Giant leap for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
That's a shame PeeBee... I hope the best for you.
Thanks cpmodem. I'm not deaf, but I suffer from the first phenomena of hearing loss, like: trouble having a conversation in a loud room. That's really difficult for me.
My wife and kids also get really tired of me asking 'what was that you said?'. They have to speak in my direction, things like that. I'm a sound engineer by education, and I'm glad I found a job in the computer business with these ears!

Getting scared, folks? You should be! Hearing ability will only go downhill, ever.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:30 PM   #88
CMWoody
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee
I had one of the first 2003 950S's. The skyscraper. I had my first 600 miles service scheduled at Sommer, some 120 miles away. The chief mech told me to rev it to red in 5th or 6th on the way over (Germany has no speed limits) to seat the valves properly before adjusting. O, and do that for 35 miles, from the border to their shop.

Right. I had cast earplugs and a Schuberth lid on, that I'd bought because of its claim to be a silent helmet. At 130 mph it felt like blood was dripping from my ears. Must have been way over 120 dB and it really hurt. I managed to keep it up for some 10 miles, and I did not hear a whole lot the rest of that day. It felt strange to be on a bike that's faster than bearable to the driver.

My year on the 950 has cost me a dear portion of my hearing. The audiologist (is that proper English?) that tested my ears was a biker himself. He told me he'd only had bikes with no or low fairings, that leave your head in a clean airstream. This because he had never driven a bike with a high fairing that generated an entirely clean airstream.

My 0.02 (and my 2 ears)
Older Schuberths were loud as heck, among the loudest you could buy. The newer ones conversely, C2 & S1 are very quiet. I'm using a C2 with molded plugs and its very, very quiet. I'm pretty happy with my stock shield but it should be noted that I'm pretty tall and my head is up over the dirty air. Sorry about the hearing loss, I've suffered a bit through the years too. Sucks!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #89
PeeBee
Giant leap for me!

Quote:
Older Schuberths were loud as heck, among the loudest you could buy. The newer ones conversely, C2 & S1 are very quiet. I'm using a C2 with molded plugs and its very, very quiet. I'm pretty happy with my stock shield but it should be noted that I'm pretty tall and my head is up over the dirty air. Sorry about the hearing loss, I've suffered a bit through the years too. Sucks!
My above story was with a C1, which was soon after swapped for a C2. The C2 is indeed a lot better, but still noisier than a non-folding helmet.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #90
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Oddometer: 712
Guy's,
I would be willing to bet a beer that 90% of your noise problems is from the helmet !
This is the only reason I have not purchased one.Shoie makes a helmet similar to the HD called the Hornet. I'm not sure if you can get it in the U.S. now and it is NOT Snell or DOT certified.I read a very complete article written by British ( I think) journalists ,that seemed very professional and complete.They said the Shoie was much , much more quiet than the Arai.Which should tell you something regarding the noise level of the Arai
I wear a Shoie RF1000 and wore a RF900 for 2 or 3 years.The 1000 is slightly more Quiet but flows a lot more air.When cool, I use the chin air dam.
I have a combination that is near perfect for me.I only bring all this up again because I see this thread keeps going with some losing hearing which to me is unacceptable. My complete set up for those who want to try is as follows:
1) I'm just over 6ft tall
2)I always wear cheap foam ear plugs (wet them a little and they work great)
3)I have a cee Baileys 15 inch shield.
4)I have heated and bent in or down the "flap" on the air duct.
5)I installed a simple sheet of plastic on the inside of the windshield to deflect the air up and over my head.(picture earlier in this thread bottom of page 2)
6)I made a simple mud guard between the forks under the headlight etc.(someone sells these).
7)I switched to Duke mirrors.

I think the single most important mod is #5). I get very few bugs on my face shield, which should tell you something ! There is a huge difference when I lean out past my windshield on a hard turn.When I stand up slightly (1 or 2 inch's) I can feel the wind try to take my head off. When I sit normally it is VERY quiet.I have tried many other combinations but this is the best !

I hope this helps Y'all !!
Killer Whale KTM