User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2007, 12:14 PM   #121
idahoskiguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Very Acceptable Level of Buffeting

Installed and test rode the Cee-Bailey KTM#2 with cutout, clear 16", very much improved to everything else I have tried. Not perfect but the 950 is not a Goldwing and I find the buffeting within an acceptable noise level that will not cause me to go deaf. Helmet is a Nolon 102 flip-up and I wear good ear plugs. The Cee-Bailey is not as quiet as clean air but will be my windshield for any long distance that involves highway speeds, for most of my local riding the stock shield cut off level with the fairing will be preferred.

idahoskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #122
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoskiguy
Installed and test rode the Cee-Bailey KTM#2 with cutout, clear 16", very much improved to everything else I have tried.
What else have you tried? With the Cee-Bailey do you look through the screen or still over it? Any problems with visual distortion? I currently have my stock screen cut down 6". Clean air but too much wind resistance on the highway. With the new KTM touring screen backordered I am torn between a stock screen with Laminar Lip and a Cee Bailey like you have. I'm 5'10" BTW. With 2000 mile trip planned this summer decision time is upon me.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:46 PM   #123
idahoskiguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
I am 6' 4" but have a short torso and look through the Cee-Bailey, optics are fine with a minimum of distortion. Standing the Cee-Bailey just disappears and is not in the way.

Other things I tried:

1. Cut three 1.5" hole in stock screen and maybe noticed a little less buffeting but still way too much.

2. Cut 4" off stock screen - better but way too much buffeting at speed.

3. Trimmed the stock screen even with fairing - really like the clean air and no buffeting for most riding but it gets very tiresome if you need to pound out some high speed slab in dirty air and truck traffic.

Would have tried the new KTM screen next but it was uncertain when it would be available so I bought the KTM#2 from Cee-Bailey because it looked very similar to the KTM. Cee-Bailey makes a high quality product, no regrets.
idahoskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:10 PM   #124
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoskiguy
I am 6' 4" but have a short torso and look through the Cee-Bailey, optics are fine with a minimum of distortion. Standing the Cee-Bailey just disappears and is not in the way.

Other things I tried:

1. Cut three 1.5" hole in stock screen and maybe noticed a little less buffeting but still way too much.

2. Cut 4" off stock screen - better but way too much buffeting at speed.

3. Trimmed the stock screen even with fairing - really like the clean air and no buffeting for most riding but it gets very tiresome if you need to pound out some high speed slab in dirty air and truck traffic.

Would have tried the new KTM screen next but it was uncertain when it would be available so I bought the KTM#2 from Cee-Bailey because it looked very similar to the KTM. Cee-Bailey makes a high quality product, no regrets.
Sounds like we're in the same boat. I tried #1-3 as well with the same results. What's your inseam? I'm wondering whether to go for the 14" or the 16" CB.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #125
rah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
searching for the holy grail

idahoskiguy, i'm curious to see how you feel about the CB after a month or so. You're right, we'll never get goldwing smoothness and the large CB certainly provides wind protection. And the materials used in the CB are top drawer (even if the optics aren't - see below) The problems i had with it included:

- looks enormous, just doesn't do justice to an awesome motorbike. i found it embarrassing.

- at 100mph+ it made the front wheel very light. fair enough - many might say.

- the optics are fine when looking quite far ahead, but when dribbling through traffic and working out whether you'll be squeezing through the cage mirrors or ripping them off, or whether you can swing the front wheel onto a kerb, i noticed the optics lower down were screwy. (not often an issue).

- it has an annoying relfection when the head light is on, especially at night.

So we cut it down to a bit bigger than stock. now it looks fine. and below 60MPH it is fine. above that, the wind pro is good, but the drumming is awful. on the highway i'm never below 60MPH.

just my 2c
Old 05-29-2007, 08:44 AM   #126
Jeepboy
Roost

Oddometer: 560
I had the 16" CB screen for awhile. It protects the body well, but after riding for 4-6 hrs, I would have a terrible headache from the slight turbulence at my head. Its great for short rides, but I don't use it for long rides anymore.

My toys:
04 YZ250F
04 950 Adventure S--lost to fire
06 KLX 110
07 950 Super Enduro

http://www.katoom.smugmug.com/
$5 Smugmug coupon: FDURkYt1pFdQw
http://www.youtube.com/Katoom950
Jeepboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:50 AM   #127
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah
So we cut it down to a bit bigger than stock.

just my 2c
go on then lad, show us a pic of your handiwork
Old 05-29-2007, 08:52 AM   #128
Mark_Redrock
My Ears are Ringing

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah
idahoskiguy, i'm curious to see how you feel about the CB after a month or so. You're right, we'll never get goldwing smoothness and the large CB certainly provides wind protection. And the materials used in the CB are top drawer (even if the optics aren't - see below) The problems i had with it included:

- looks enormous, just doesn't do justice to an awesome motorbike. i found it embarrassing.

- at 100mph+ it made the front wheel very light. fair enough - many might say.

- the optics are fine when looking quite far ahead, but when dribbling through traffic and working out whether you'll be squeezing through the cage mirrors or ripping them off, or whether you can swing the front wheel onto a kerb, i noticed the optics lower down were screwy. (not often an issue).

- it has an annoying relfection when the head light is on, especially at night.

So we cut it down to a bit bigger than stock. now it looks fine. and below 60MPH it is fine. above that, the wind pro is good, but the drumming is awful. on the highway i'm never below 60MPH.

just my 2c

I just did a 1k mile weekend on my bike w/the stock shield and my ears are STILL bleeding (Have a full face shield and plugs in).

Like most others I'm waiting on the KTM alien shield to arive from backorder and am wondering if I'm wasting my money to buy a CB before it gets here just to end the pain.

I'm waiting to hear from someone who has BOTH the CB and the KTM alien shield to determine which one to buy for highway use. 6 bolts isn't bad for swapping the shield out back to the stock for local and heavy offroad use, as it's not THAT often I up and ride 300 miles in a day, not more once a month or so.
2004 Suzuki DR-Z 400
Trip Photos My Riding Videos
Mark_Redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:22 AM   #129
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepboy
I had the 16" CB screen for awhile. It protects the body well, but after riding for 4-6 hrs, I would have a terrible headache from the slight turbulence at my head. Its great for short rides, but I don't use it for long rides anymore.
What's your height/inseam?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #130
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
Ricky,

I'm sure glad you got another 950, maybe now you can get this issue solved.

The 950 totally rocks but my ears are still ringing from yesterday again.

Yes.......even with earplugs, street helmet, cut off screen.......... blah.....blah........ blah........
+1

i just got a new Shoei RF 1000 which has improved the experience. it certainly is more quiet than my old Z-II.

i expect to see a significant increase in reports of tinitis with 950 owners, especially among those wearing the XD.

glad to see you doing design work Ricky.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #131
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Need stock screen for more experimenting

Anyone have a stock windscreen they want to get rid of? I want to do some more experimenting.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:27 PM   #132
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,220
Four Little Holes

Is all you need to Drill, well and Cut some of the plastics (Looks like Half of you guys already did that).

Well the Idea is really simple..

Actually it does not get any simpler, than moving the stock screen forward to create a Hole so the air can go by.

First I took a totally wasted screen (sorry Ron) to make a base for the new one to attach to.

The Cut screen uses the stock (6 bolts) Location, the "Forward" screen piggybacks on the cut one and the four upper holes are drill were ever they need to be (about 1/2" Inwards for the middle and 1" In for the highest, ussing the "Forward" screen for template (Anybody can do this, is just no way to F^^k it up)

I used 4MM "Long Nuts" and two bolts on each nut (one from each side) to hold the two windscreens togheter, but I think soon I will install "Dampers" Ussing old Bicycle fork elastomers, for better shock absortion.

As you can see the stock screen becomes far more forward, at least in my eyes does not look bad or out of place.

The lower mounting holes share the same hole, even the same Bolt since they are so freaking Long

Plus you have a lot more space to install whatever GPS's and Roll charts, like the true Dakar racers.

Sorry if the craftmanship is so chessy but all my real tools are somewere else, so I drill the holes with a dremmel and cut the plastic with a hacksaw blade..

Tomorrow I will try to make it Prettyer and also find out the boudries and also optimize the shapes of the require pieces.

Ricardo Kuhn screwed with this post 05-29-2007 at 08:18 PM
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #133
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,744
Ricky is on it!!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #134
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
Ricky is on it!!
Oh Dude you wait, that was nothing, I did not even need any "Real" tools.

Let me tell you cutting windscreens (specially Pre-broken ones) with a hacksaw blade is a royal pain in the butt
Old 05-29-2007, 09:09 PM   #135
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,784
Wind management!

Just a thought. The stock sheild is way out front and straight up and down. I noticed on my pals WeeStrom the noise wasn't near as bad. Is it possible that if you angled the shield more on an angle towards the rider, it would become quieter, my main concern. Only way around it now is to cut down the stocker right down to the dash. Not sure how to try this.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote