ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #1396
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike40 View Post
The noise from the screen and the buffeting is the reason I never bought the bike
Wow, it is not THAT bad.... You must have one fussy bike buying criteria...
Old 02-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #1397
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
I finished the Ricardo screen a few weeks ago. Ricardo Khun, Cyborg, thanks for the inspiration

So far I've tried the Touring screen (I had blurred, double vision with it, the worst screen to me so far) and a chopped one (Yellow Pig style, worked fine but with almost zero wind protection isn't the best option for long trips), none of them was perfect so a couple of years ago I wanted to give a try at the Ricardo...
...loved the way Cyborg built his, tried to do the same but it was impossible to get the screw posts in Chile, only weak plastic post here. Since it wasn't a high priority project I let the chopped screen rest til now, when a buddy brought some metal screw posts from Belgium.

So I finished my project two years later, went for a ride at night and didn't like the results because of glare coming from the head light, so I painted the base screen black (I should have paid more attention to Cyborg's how-to )

This thing works, but I'm still not sure if this is the perfect solution, at least to me. Again, sure it works, but I had my expectations a bit too high and there is still some noise and drumming, not perfectly quiet and clean air behind it. I will keep it since it's better than the stocker, but I'm still searching for the perfect solution...
Maybe a Ricardo - Ganshert screen? We'll see.

By the way, I gave a try at the Super Ricardo this weekend and didn't work, I had almost the same problems I had with the Touring screen, maybe there isn't enough air flow. The Ricardo is far better to me.

Oh, I like so much the way the chopped screen looks in flat black that my new project will be painting the main screen black too, once I find a paint that lasts.

Jaime

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #1398
PeeBee
Giant leap for me!

Oddometer: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post
Wow, it is not THAT bad.... You must have one fussy bike buying criteria...
I lost some of my hearing while owning the 950. All because of the immense sound pressure levels while driving. Yes, immense.

So I do regret ever getting one, since the hearing will never come back. I sold the bike as soon as it was financially possible, although I enjoyed the ride itself very much. I probably should have taken a longer test drive to start with. Or find information on websites like this. Unfortunately at the time I didn't know ADV Rider yet.

For some of us reasons like the excessive noise are important enough to alter our list of favorite bikes, and I really wonder why you call that fussy bike buying criteria... Deaf already, maybe?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #1399
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
Deaf already, maybe?
That...or know how to use ear plugs while riding.
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #1400
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,012
what!!??
Old 02-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #1401
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goti View Post
I finished the Ricardo screen a few weeks ago. Ricardo Khun, Cyborg, thanks for the inspiration

Goti, looks like you did a very nice job of it. As in any of the fixes, so much depends your torso height and shape, helmet type, where you sit etc. Tough to find a perfect setup and air pocket.

After several years of running my Ricardo, I'm still very pleased with it. I've used a Shoei Hornet helmet since 2008 and get absolutely no buffeting or rumbling at any speed (the Aria XD was horrible! sold it immediately). At freeway speeds I only have to dip my helmet visor a little to get quiet air. There is still wind noise from such a small fairing so I always wear earplugs, but no teeth chattering or bobbling helmet. I've done 1000 mile solo days with the standard Ricardo and been fine at the end of the day, no ears ringing or headaches.

For 2-up I get a better air pocket with the Super Ricardo and that's what I keep the larger screen around for.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #1402
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclad View Post
That...or know how to use ear plugs while riding.
Spoken by somebody who has never experienced the problem. It's not just the noise, which earplugs help with. It's the turbulence/buffeting that's the biggest part of the problem. Random wind currents beat your head around like a bobblhead doll on a bumpy road. Variations in air pressure make a throbbing booming noise.
It's uncomfortable as hell and IMHO a dealbreakeer on an otherwise great bike. There are a lot of screen mods out there, some work and some don't. Do a search for the Ganshert screen, so far the only one that works. He's been promising to get them in production now for a couple of years.

Ganshert?

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #1403
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Spoken by somebody who has never experienced the problem. ....
1911fan
Ditto's....but have a Nolan N102 Modular helmet that has a Ridge at the Top Rear side of the Helmet that Breaks the Buffeting so it is never created.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #1404
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Spoken by somebody who has never experienced the problem. It's not just the noise, which earplugs help with. It's the turbulence/buffeting that's the biggest part of the problem. Random wind currents beat your head around like a bobblhead doll on a bumpy road. Variations in air pressure make a throbbing booming noise.
I use a cut down screen, but borrowed a Rally Raid screen for a rideout. I always wear ear plugs, but the low frequency sound inside my helmet and buffetting was so bad I had to turn back and swap to my normal cut screen.
It was almost impossible to concentrate on the road ahead.

5'9 tall, 31" inseam, 30mm bar risers, gel seat.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #1405
Jaimoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Goti, looks like you did a very nice job of it. As in any of the fixes, so much depends your torso height and shape, helmet type, where you sit etc. Tough to find a perfect setup and air pocket.

After several years of running my Ricardo, I'm still very pleased with it. I've used a Shoei Hornet helmet since 2008 and get absolutely no buffeting or rumbling at any speed (the Aria XD was horrible! sold it immediately). At freeway speeds I only have to dip my helmet visor a little to get quiet air. There is still wind noise from such a small fairing so I always wear earplugs, but no teeth chattering or bobbling helmet. I've done 1000 mile solo days with the standard Ricardo and been fine at the end of the day, no ears ringing or headaches.

For 2-up I get a better air pocket with the Super Ricardo and that's what I keep the larger screen around for.
Hey Cyborg, thanks for the compliment your How To was really helpful !

I still need more time and miles to really really test it, so far I've just rode on city highways.
I have a Shoei Hornet too, and a Shark RSi that I don't use anymore because 1.- the Shoei fits me better and 2.- the Shoei is surprisingly quieter. I agree that different heights, helmets, mirrors,...make that fixes which work for someone doesn't necessarily work for everyone....

The best result to me so far is no screen at all, but I hate the way the bike looks and I'll miss the protection from cold and rain; this Ricardo gives me some protection, still looks great IMHO, AND it works better than the stocker.

But I still would like to try a Ricardo - Ganshert screen

2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2012 Yamaha BWs 125
Jaimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #1406
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,012
So far I've used stock, cut down stock, Touring, cut down touring, the Madstad/Aeroflow rig and now I'm back to cut down stock.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #1407
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
Thumb

I love my new screen...
Old 02-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #1408
buncey990
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaytM View Post
I love my new screen...
got to say that looks realy cool,you will have to get a pic of it on the bike. were abouts did you buy it, also is it stock height or is it bit taller.
cheers
buncey990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #1409
KaytM
Just a fella.

Oddometer: 202
I won it on eBay.
As soon as I get it I'll fit it and show you some pics.
I believe it's a standard screen.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #1410
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Another option.....

SInce I didn't read the 93 pages in this link I'll throw out this option regardless of the crap I'll take for it. Go to www.saeng.com check out the airflow management section. Look at the Micro-Swirl Edging. It's not cheap but it works tremendously well. I have it on all my road bikes. Yes, I know it doesn't look very good on a bike. I care less about form than I do function. My 990 had a Cee Bailey tall screen on it when I bought it. The turbulance was tolerable as it was, but as I relatively often put big mile days on road trips, tolerable was not what I'm looking for. I ordered the Micro-Swirl Edging and installed it all the way around the Cee Bailey. It deflects the air about 4 inches away from the screen on all sides. Interestingly, it works better on the 990 than my other bikes. After the installation the air pocket on the 990 has less turbulance than my Goldwing does. I look over it when I'm sitting and when I'm standing offroad I can't even see it. As an additional benefit, when I do crash, as I know I will, the top of the screen won't become a knife across my eyes. If it wasn't such a PITA to post pics on here now I'd show you what it looks like. You could look at the pics in some of my earlier threads if you really want to see it.
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote