User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2015, 06:04 AM   #1
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,799
JayBo to ADDC 2015

I've been keeping quiet on this one as it was all looking very dicey, but early this morning I got the news I was hoping for - Italian Customs should be okay with the export of my 450RFR to Dubai. It has been a bit of a battle involving many late nights at the keyboard, but a few friends from countries all over, have helped me out big time to see this happening. The story kind of picks up from the end of my Dakar story, that I haven't actually written yet.

So when I was forced out of the Dakar I rang good mate Don at CPW Service and explained what had happened - my Dakar failure. He said, "Why not do the ADDC on the way back?" I told him him I'd lost all my chips on the Dakar table ... but he'd sown a seed that started germinating.

A few days later I mentioned the thought to another one of the many friends that helped this plan formulate, our own inmate Tony Schattat (from Germany). While killing time at the Tecnopolis after the Dakar we discussed what would need to happen. The timing between the ASO boat arriving in Le Havre and the time for shipping out to Dubai was very tight. Tony is working as a representative for the ADDC in Germany and a few other countries and knew there was to be a container from Hamburg to Dubai. All I would need to do is get my bike 1000kms from Le Havre to Hamburg, and Tony would see what he could do to help. "Once the bike is in Hamburg, I can ensure it gets in the container to Dubai" he said.

Then Vladimir Kusnier (from Norway) stepped in with an offer to help. He could see about getting my bike crate transported to Hamburg with another bike hoping to make the same trip. Then the plan started going to custard as the timing between ASO boat arrival and Hamburg boat departure was very tight with a weekend in between. So the plan changed to go to Genova in Italy because the boat from there was leaving later and would give us a few extra days up our sleeves.

So, after a couple of late nights getting forms sent to the ASO to ensure a complete stranger could collect my bike and things were set in motion. So the next friend in the story (someone I have not met but now owe big time) picked up my bike crate, along with 5 other bikes, and headed for Italy (I think via his workshop in Germany). Then things started going to custard again.

The Italian Customs wouldn't allow my bike to be exported because there was no paperwork to show it was exported from France to Italy. Apparently the whole EU friendship thing doesn't extend to import/export except that there's nothing to stop you taking a bike from France to Italy - as long as you don't want to then send it anywhere else through a port! So several more late nights on the keyboard trying to get the Italians and French to talk to each other and come up with a solution. This they did and I got the necessary paperwork scanned and emailed direct from the ASO's logistics company to the ADDC logistics company.

So tonight another complete stranger to me, Vlad's brother, has travelled from Germany to Italy to collect my bike and a few others and is carting them all to the port in Genova. Hopefully there are no further problems and the bike gets into the container. I'll count my chickens when I open the crate in Dubai and have my bike in my hands, but it's looking promising so far.

In the mean-time, I have sent away my entry, booked flights, worked several hours at Don's CPW workshop to earn my service package, sorted out the insurance and applied for my FIM race licence.

So I plan to make amends for my all too short Dakar ride by completing all five days of the ADDC 2015. Hopefully this goes some way to repaying my sponsors and supporters that put their faith in me for the Dakar - it's not like I can remove their signage off the bike. This especially applies to Civcon, that contributed funds (the best kind of sponsorship) days before I flew out for the Dakar, as they have done projects in the UAE so will really appreciate the exposure there. Also CPW Service, as I know Don is keen to develop a market of Aussies (and the odd Kiwi) travelling with his service packages to Rallies in the future. Of course my own company, MO Consultants, would love to get involved in engineering projects in the UAE in project management or commissioning management roles.

So bring it on ... ADDC 2015 here the Kiwi comes!
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:14 AM   #2
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,587
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #3
Tenerrod
Backyard Hack

Oddometer: 1,248
That's the best kind of news John. Good news
Really glad you're getting a chance to display your sponsors and best of all give it a red hot go, again.
Best of luck, there's a lot of folks hoping you succeed.
Tenerrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #4
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 7,034
I can see a tee shirt in this.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:20 PM   #5
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilaction View Post

don't talk about T-shirts
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
WILL_S
OUTLAW POSTIE 001

Oddometer: 2,272
Old 02-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #7
GSDane
Ride like a girl

Oddometer: 363
Fantastic news...

Amazing how close the bike have been to my place... could almost feel the wind of dreams, dust, determination of riding a rally somewhere + lots of mateship...

Looking forward to hearing about the ride
Old 02-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #8
Russ

Oddometer: 16,450
Great news John
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #9
Matt
Dirt Virgin

Oddometer: 1,931
Make sure your water bladder is kevlar coated this time.

Why do people think bike riders all like rock'n'roll??
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #10
sidetrack one
Boss STAG

Oddometer: 5,422
Quote:
I'm in!
sidetrack one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:54 PM   #11
Tenerrod
Backyard Hack

Quote:
Same T-shirt, just more puff paint
Old 02-25-2015, 10:39 PM   #12
nry

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post

and applied for my FIM race licence.

Didn't you already have to have an FIM licence for Dakar or did it run out ?
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM   #13
JayBo1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,799
Quote:
Unfortunately there are people that said they wanted Tee Shirts, I labelled Tee shirts for them, but they never followed through with paying for Tee shirts. I now have a small collection of Tee shirts with yellow post-it labels that I could have sold to others. Luckily I'm not bitter about it because other more generous ADVRiders have often overpaid for shirts, sometimes by significant amounts, that does far more than just restores faith in the community.

I probably won't do a Tee shirt run like I did before, but I have an idea for something a little different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nry
Didn't you already have to have an FIM licence for Dakar or did it run out ?
I did have a FIM licence for the Dakar, but it was a one event licence. The one event licence for WCCRC is $480, an annual one is $1,300. Before I went to the Dakar I had absolutely no intention of entering another FIM rally this year - as I said to Don, I blew all my chips on the Dakar table and can't gamble anymore. So I only got a one event licence.

But now someone gave me a few more chips to have a crack at the ADDC again, and a few friends came together to help me out with getting my bike there, and Don at CPW Service gave me the opportunity to work off a service package, and Don has a container coming back to Perth that I can chip in with. Suddenly I needed to buy another one event licence and AON insurance (another $700 one event versus $1,250 annual) compulsory requirement. Then there was the ADDC entry fee ($6,000) and some airfares ($1,830) and suddenly I've blown all my chips on the ADDC table! I'm very quickly becoming a rally addict.
WIFE NOT HAPPY!!!

Ciao
#101 Dakar 2015, Kiwi Safari Team, Perth, WA
KTM 450 Rally ... Dakar ready
KTM 530 EXC-R
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM   #14
Tenerrod
Backyard Hack

When you get back we'll have a fund raising bbq in the park for your wife
Old Today, 02:19 AM   #15
nry

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:

I did have a FIM licence for the Dakar, but it was a one event licence. The one event licence for WCCRC is $480, an annual one is $1,300.
Quote:

But now someone gave me a few more chips to have a crack at the ADDC again, and a few friends came together to help me out with getting my bike there, and Don at CPW Service gave me the opportunity to work off a service package, and Don has a container coming back to Perth that I can chip in with. Suddenly I needed to buy another one event licence and AON insurance (another $700 one event versus $1,250 annual) compulsory requirement. Then there was the ADDC entry fee ($6,000) and some airfares ($1,830) and

Some great info here Thanks !

Quote:

suddenly I've blown all my chips on the ADDC table! I'm very quickly becoming a rally addict.
WIFE NOT HAPPY!!!

Ciao
Wives ! when will they ever learn They love it ! probably down the shops or cafe boasting about her husband the international rally god whilst all the other women think of their own couch potato husbands and dream of what life could have been like with Jaybo1 the international rally god !
That may be the real reason she's not happy......all the attention from the ladies you'll be getting
nry is offline   Reply With Quote