Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #4546
Vince_WA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Hi Bully - a cheap Guzzi might prove interesting - I was reading about the 30 year old Guzzi used by Kev & Karen Browne (www.guzzioverland.co.uk) and they chose the Guzzi as it has simple electrics - go figure hey

Leg's all healed now - albeit at a funny angle so the foot sticks out and is bound to catch on something sooner or later I took a few unsealed roads down south - backroads from Pemberton to Northcliffe, around the Porongarups and thru the Stirling Ranges, Mt Frankland diversion and then the Shannon Forest trail - all good fun
Old 12-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #4547
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_WA View Post

Leg's all healed now - albeit at a funny angle so the foot sticks out and is bound to catch on something sooner or later

maybe a GS with a boxer motor may provide the protection that your foot needs.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #4548
Vince_WA
Studly Adventurer

Dakar - Stage 1 highlights - 5:30pm Monday 2nd Jan on SBS.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:39 AM   #4549
Gobby
Trust Me!

Oddometer: 407
Wicked Hack my XT600

Hey Bully,

How about we work on hacking my Yamaha XT600?

Oh, btw Gobby has a new (to me) bike - V-strom 650.

So, who's up for a slab ride?

Nice RR (as usual) Vince - oh and fire your accountant, he put too much money in the bag......! And thanks for the bottle

Happy New Year to ALL inmates - especially the Perth crowd.

Lets Ride
Gobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:51 AM   #4550
Waitesy
Rebel without a clue

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobby View Post

So, who's up for a slab ride?
When and Where you thinking?
GIVE HIM POWER!!!
Abraham Lincoln
Waitesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:56 AM   #4551
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bully1 View Post
oh dear, just a heads up, gonna be a carton to pay up !!!

Drtrebor's Cali adventure bike has let him down .!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's off on a road trip with Vince and lo and behold, cough, cough, wheeze and the Italian Stallion has failed to proceed, he's stuck in Walpole ( there are a lot of worst places to be stuck ) and he's up the creek without a paddle . never mind, the stranded Danish lad ( Mark and his typical Kaboom ) have grabbed my fourbie and trailer and leave in the morning on a rescue mission, if that's not worth a box I'll ride naked round the next OCBR on my sidecar.

the good news is the Guzzi breathes again . Thanks to Guzzimike ( wonder why they call him that ) who spent all this afternoon in my workshop chasing the gremlins, we fired the cali back up this arvo, Rob put it back together and what happens ??? the bloody indicaters start to play up, but the motor runs .

Now to get the 9fiddy back together this week so that Mark can continue his journey, he got a bit inspired by reading Guzzi's ride reports.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:01 AM   #4552
Vince_WA
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobby View Post
Nice RR (as usual) Vince - oh and fire your accountant, he put too much money in the bag......! And thanks for the bottle .
Mate I needed every kip you helped me out with in Laos, so thanks and speaking of Laos - Adam, the Polish guy I was chatting with at Shelley Beach earlier this week has ridden with Remote Asia Travel in Laos, but they thought they were gonna die on their trip (torrential rain and mudslides, deep river crossings, lost riders, etc etc)
Old 12-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #4553
egret
noob

Oddometer: 357
Happy New Year ! Love you lots !
egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #4554
Vince_WA
Studly Adventurer

More Dakar Stuff (repost of an email from John Hudson)

Some good websites to have a look at:

http://www.dakar.com/
http://www.sbs.com.au/dakar/

http://au.eurosport.com/rallyraid/dakar/calendar.shtml

Google News

http://www.rallymaniacs.nl/

http://twitter.com/#!/dakarofficial

https://www.facebook.com/dakar

http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2012/us/m...plication.html
David Swartz No. 62
36th overall on his first attempt at the Dakar, back in 2005 on African soil, and one position better four years later in South America, David Schwarz returns to the Dakar with ambitions. Part of the Husaberg Rallye Racing Australia team, the Aussie can count on a solid structure and will make the best of his past experiences.

Rodney Faggotter No 113
Third of the 2011 Australasian Safari, despite breaking a bone in his hand, Rodney Faggotter now takes on the ultimate off-road challenge, the Dakar. He'll be one of the two Aussies (with David Schwarz) in the Husaberg Rallye Racing team and for his first attempt, just hopes to finish. He however isn't too worried about the length of the event and the long days on his bike and feels he can reach a Top 30 spot overall.

Mark davidson No 121
His first experience on the Dakar is probably one that he'll want to forget. After enjoying the first four days, Mark Davidson was hit by altitude sickness and sadly crashed out of the race. The kind of incident that won't happen again for the 52 year old Australian who discovered the Dakar as a visitor in Paris back in 1989. For his second attempt, Davidson will have his own team with American Michael Stanfield (who started the Dakar last year on a bike at age 65) in charge. The goal now is just to finish!

Craig Tarlington no. 124
Craig Tarlington's story with the Dakar is rather peculiar and could have something to do with destiny or fate. His plan was to compete in the rally back in 2009 after getting a first taste of the event when seeing scutineering in Lisbon a year before. But the 2008 race sadly never took off and moved to South America. At the time he lived in South Africa and his plans of competing were halted. Fate or destiny, made him eventually move to Chile for work. 2012 will therefore be the year for the Australian. His first goal will be to finish, before hoping to do a lot better in the years to come.

Dean Nuttall No. 145
When it comes to off-road bike riding, Dean Nuttall has a very wide experience. He started in trial riding before switching to enduro and extreme enduro races as well as longer off-road rallies. It was only natural to see him register for the Dakar. The Australian doesn't want to get carried away by what many think of his capacities. He just wants to get his money's worth and reach the finish.

Jamie chittick no 159
Part of the GHR Honda team, Jamie Chittick will be one to watch on the next Dakar. After competing in several rallies back home, he's taking up the biggest challenge there is in off-road events. As prepared as can be, the Australian hopes to make it within the Top 50.

Kiwi riders...

Christopher Birch no 110
Three-time winner of the Roof of Africa, a South African Enduro champion and Red Bull Romaniacs 2010 champion, Chris Birch now takes on the biggest of all off-road rallies, the Dakar. Having moved from New Zealand to South Africa to really prepare for the Dakar, the rider was able to count on the tips of South African legend Alfie Cox. Birch certainly has the qualities to one day become a title contender, yet he doesn't want to get carried away and need to live the experience. His first mission: to finish the Dakar.
Cars
Geoff OLHOLM* no 336
Geoff is a great enduro rider from Cairns. He went to Dakar last year but had car troubles .this year he should be on the pace.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:40 AM   #4555
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by farcall View Post
Long shot...

Has anybody ridden through the northern Yilgarn area (NE of Southern Cross), specifically to the Aurora & Helena Ranges and Bungalbin Hill? And then looping southwards onto Ryans Find Rd, past Jaurdi to come out on GEH at Boorabbin?

Any info/tips would be great... a gpx file would be even betterer . Apparently the maze of old tracks and new ones made by mining companies near and around that area can make navigation a bit tricky.

Gunna head out that way next Tues for an overnighter.

I was going a bit stir crazy and a window opened up for a mid-week overnighter in the week before Christmas… it wasn’t a hard decision really. Pack up and go.

The only task was to find somewhere remote and less travelled within ½ day ride of Perth. The area NE of Southern Cross fitted the bill nicely. Specifically, the Aurora Ranges and Helena Ranges. Once past those ranges I turned south and came out near Yellowdine. 800kms of bitumen and 350kms of dirt which clearly sees very little traffic.

The Yilgarn area had bucketloads of rain about 5 days earlier but the warm temps dealt with all puddles bar just a few. No problemo…

Saw these guys at Tammin. Mostly young blokes on their way to Cairns via Gt Central Rd and the Plenty. They had a support vehicle for refuelling… rider and posties. Reckon they’ll need it.

Jeez this bike ticks a lot of boxes. Very happy with it.

Coming up to the Aurora Ranges. The first 20 clicks out of Koolyanobbing was very corrugated (shook the mirrors loose)… reminded me of some of the Gunbarrel corrugations. All good after that.

Once at Aurora Ranges (and thereafter) all the tracks were nice and narrow and bugger all straight bits. A bit warm so parked up in the shade for drink and fruit bar.

Never hard to find a clearing well off the track in the Goldfields. Set up camp about halfway between Helena Ranges and Gt Eastern Hwy. Left the tripod seat home and took the comforts with me this time. Very civilised. The 5-million star hotel was at its best that night.

Even cooked myself a steak

The mud holes were easy to pick your way through.

Crossing salt lakes can bite yer on the bum sometimes. Not this time …

Nice scenic spots (to my eye anyway)

The heavy rain resulted in plenty of erosion. There were a few washouts and erosion holes but nothing to worry about unless you were training for the Oz Safari. There were also some white sandy sections as I skirted some of the lakes down towards the transcon railway line… no dramas on a mid-size bike. Maybe in some hands the larger 1200’s would give the pilot good reason to concentrate here and there… but you’d have to be a novice to struggle (nothing wrong with that – we were all novices once – gotta learn somewhere/sometime).

Just to give you an idea how easy this whole area is, this pic shows the typical layer of sand washed over the tracks due to the recent rains. Good to go...

Thru the gate to cross the Vermin Proof fence.

Saw this sign as I reached the transcon and had troubles finding the track to Borrabin (it mighta been hidden by the sign )

So I rode past some signs that said 'I shouldn’t ride past these signs' as I headed west to pick up a little used track to Yellowdine. Eventually found it and what a hoot that track was! Something about a tunnel of shrubs… makes me pick up the pace for some reason.

Passed a number of rock outcrops like this over the 400kms. Note the fuel level in my Safari... filled at Southern Cross and the pic was taken only 20kms before exiting the dirt at Yellowdine.

So there it is. I didn’t take many pics on this ride (not that I ever do). It was a very very enjoyable ride. I hadn’t been through this area before and loved every minute of it. Didn't see another vehicle once I got off the bitumen.

There’s a bit of navigation required as many times (partic at rocky outcrops) tracks seemed to go off in every direction. Actually, I’ll change that – navigation is critical; would be very easy to waste a lot of fuel finding the right way. I pre-plotted important waypoints on my GPS, and together with Hema maps on GPS equipped iPhone, finding the right way was easy.

GPX file for anyone interested
Goldfields - Helena & Aurora Ranges - Actual - edited.gpx
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:16 AM   #4556
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

nice bit of country that Shane !!!

I like the fairing that you are using, just attaches to the original, where did you get it from ?

Those tunnels of trees just make you want to gas is don't they.

and is that a Kermit chair
Old 01-02-2012, 04:18 AM   #4557
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Nice bike set-up Shane, what is the verdict on the Kermit chair
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:43 AM   #4558
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bully1 View Post
nice bit of country that Shane !!!

I like the fairing that you are using, just attaches to the original, where did you get it from ?

Those tunnels of trees just make you want to gas is don't they.

and is that a Kermit chair
Sure is good country Bully. I cut my teeth off-road as a early teen living in Kalg hacking around on a 71 Kawasaki 250 F8 and this trip brought more than its share of memories... so I'm gunna go back in the next few months and continue the NE run past the ranges right thru to the Menzies - Evanston Rd.

The screen is from http://www.screensforbikes.com/. Approx $130 and IIRC maybe a small discount (or free post) if you mention advrider.

And yep, it's a Kermit chair.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #4559
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59DEN View Post
Nice bike set-up Shane, what is the verdict on the Kermit chair
Thanks Dennis.

The Kermit is very comfortable, no doubt about it. A tad fiddly to set up (maybe a minute or 2) when compared to the typical folding chairs but who's in a rush out there? Very sturdy. In standard form I found it sits a bit close to the ground so I bought the extension legs which fixed that complaint. Bought it 3yrs ago, however I'd got in the habit over the last 2 years of taking a tripod chair which isn't too bad but as I get older...

It gives the ride buddies something (else) to take the piss outta you. Packs shorter (500mm) than a Bunnings $8 one-trip-and-its-stuffed jobbie. Stops you from getting firewood during the evening or having a leak... cos if you do, when you get back, one of the piss-takers will be sitting in your seat .
Old 01-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #4560
59DEN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
. Stops you from getting firewood during the evening or having a leak... cos if you do, when you get back, one of the piss-takers will be sitting in your seat .[/QUOTE]

Surely not one of your, hard core, light-weight, gram counting, ADV riding buddies, would allow themselves to sit in such a comfortable chair, "NO WAY", me on the other hand, another story
59DEN is offline   Reply With Quote