Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2012, 04:36 AM   #4981
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_B View Post

Sorry Bully
I still feel like a traitor to “Old Yella” but it’s gone to a nice farm to chase sheep for the rest of its life.
Still keen on the WR250R but I need a little excitement between now and that trip and I recon this will do it. (KTM 625 SXC)
Look forward to another run to York providing you can put up with that much orange.

I'll bring a tow rope

congrats on the new ride, not sure how it'll handle the CSR though

gunna look for another route down to Dwellingup via North Bannister but not using Summer rd in a few weeks, all by guess work
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #4982
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Capel 200

Any body here going, or done it before?

When - Sunday 1st July 2012.
The main ‘Capel 200 Loop’ is a 65km mixture of 4WD tracks, flowing pine firebreaks and single track trails, with optional ‘Enduro’ sections. It’s open to experienced adult riders on road registered or B Class registered trail or enduro bikes. Riders can ride the ‘Capel 200 Loop’ in the morning and the afternoon, or just the morning if you want an easier day and then you could still ride the ‘Intro Loop’ in the afternoon.
The ‘Intro Loop’ is a 25km mixture of easy flowing 4WD tracks and dirt roads. It’s open to new or novice off-road riders on road registered or B Class registered trail or enduro bikes. Riders can ride the ‘Intro Loop’ as many times as you want, or ride it in the morning and then ride the main ‘Capel 200 Loop’ in the afternoon if you’re feeling up to it.
The ‘Mini Loop’ is on private property and open to junior riders up to 10 yrs old, on junior trail bikes (up to 110cc) or junior motocross bikes (up to 65cc).
Free Saturday night camping on site.
Limited entries, with preference to online pre-entries, so go to the 'Enter The Event' page and get in early!

http://www.iarc.com.au/

Old 06-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #4983
J_B
Mid-life Crisis

Oddometer: 308
Excel Rims

Asked around the dealers for a new excel Rim and 12 new spokes and was quoted around $320-$400 for the rim and $150 for spokes and nipples.

I don’t want to undermine the local dealers but the whole lot was supplied out of the USA at $200.00 and delivered in 10days. (The freight paid by the suppliers on the package was $58.00). Ok I didn’t pay GST but really who is having a lend of us?
If you want great service :KSRWheels and talk to Keith Struzinski
http://www.ksrwheels.net/

Cheers

JB
Xr650r
KX450F x2
J_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:03 AM   #4984
farcall
Bike-a-holic

Oddometer: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_B View Post
Asked around the dealers for a new excel Rim and 12 new spokes and was quoted around $320-$400 for the rim and $150 for spokes and nipples.

I don’t want to undermine the local dealers but the whole lot was supplied out of the USA at $200.00 and delivered in 10days. (The freight paid by the suppliers on the package was $58.00). Ok I didn’t pay GST but really who is having a lend of us?
If you want great service :KSRWheels and talk to Keith Struzinski
http://www.ksrwheels.net/

Cheers

JB
I hear ya JB and got the same story. In fact judging by the lazy tone of the bloke I was speaking to, he probably thought he was doing me a favour... "yeah mate, thats an odd size you want, I'll see if I can find one for you, but it'll take a month or so and it'll cost $ blah, blah and $ blah blah and $ blah blah". By the time he got to the end of the blahs it was over $600 .

So I'm getting one from UK for my AT... $150 plus shipping, but theres a whole bunch of other goodies coming with it. Who's doing the lacing for you?
farcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #4985
J_B
Mid-life Crisis

Excel Rim

I put the spokes in last night in front of the tele (took 3 goes to get it right) and then took it out to Vic Park Bike Tyres today, they “trued” it for $50.00 while I hung around.

Just got back from the first ride around the block , the whole bike feels a lot bigger than the old DRZ, didn’t notice a great deal of difference in performance but the riding position feels a little awkward, so may put on a set of risers or just get used to it....

Also don’t know why KTM get such a bagging for reliability, I had two call in two days from BMW 650X owners wanting to discuss DRZ reliability as the don’t trust the BMW too far from home.
Xr650r
KX450F x2
Old 06-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #4986
neilaction
Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Pilot View Post
No going this year but i've done it in the past.

Good fun.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #4987
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Quote:

When - Sunday 1st July 2012.
The main ‘Capel 200 Loop’ is a 65km mixture of 4WD tracks, flowing pine firebreaks and single track trails, with optional ‘Enduro’ sections. It’s open to experienced adult riders on road registered or B Class registered trail or enduro bikes. Riders can ride the ‘Capel 200 Loop’ in the morning and the afternoon, or just the morning if you want an easier day and then you could still ride the ‘Intro Loop’ in the afternoon.
The ‘Intro Loop’ is a 25km mixture of easy flowing 4WD tracks and dirt roads. It’s open to new or novice off-road riders on road registered or B Class registered trail or enduro bikes. Riders can ride the ‘Intro Loop’ as many times as you want, or ride it in the morning and then ride the main ‘Capel 200 Loop’ in the afternoon if you’re feeling up to it.
The ‘Mini Loop’ is on private property and open to junior riders up to 10 yrs old, on junior trail bikes (up to 110cc) or junior motocross bikes (up to 65cc).
Free Saturday night camping on site.
Limited entries, with preference to online pre-entries, so go to the 'Enter The Event' page and get in early!

http://www.iarc.com.au/
Did it 3 or4 years ago on my 650. Good event, but a big crowd of Enduro weapons going flat stick. Decided it wasn't really my thing, but glad I did it
The track is good, mostly single track, some decent whoops, mud holes, no big hills, nothing overly challenging
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #4988
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Thanks

The plannets aren't aligning for me now anyway - but thanks for the feedback - maybe next year, start a 'Big Pig' class?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddler View Post
Did it 3 or4 years ago on my 650. Good event, but a big crowd of Enduro weapons going flat stick. Decided it wasn't really my thing, but glad I did it
The track is good, mostly single track, some decent whoops, mud holes, no big hills, nothing overly challenging
Old 06-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #4989
neilaction

Quote:
The plannets aren't aligning for me now anyway - but thanks for the feedback - maybe next year, start a 'Big Pig' class?!
Although these events, and there are a few similar to the Capel 200, are good fun, they are no better than a day out with your mates. There's alot of people, a few tools amongst em, and too much time waiting around.

Some great tracks though and you would have no trouble Konrad on the "beast". Some technical stuff is optional and if you're quick enough you can do it twice.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:24 AM   #4990
Daren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
capel & pony express enduro, Honda rally etc are all fantastic fun. Going riding with over 200 like minded soles on some amazing terrain is just great. Best to camp over as they are real social events.

It improves your riding skills no end as you have to ride over surfaces which you might normally avoid and with enduros you have to ride them repeatably lap after lap.. plus you get to ride next to (and sometime over) complete nutters and extraordinary skilled guys. It all rubs off.

Falls & breath back stops become fun social events.

Not experienced to much waiting around but they are conducted at a leisurely pace as there is 200 people to process, scrutineers and line up.

The terrain at the last Honda rally was exceptional. I know a few moaned about the 3km road section back to camp but whinging about 3km out of 60km's of primarily flowing single track is real poor form.
Daren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #4991
Hill Billy
Part-time Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilaction View Post
Although these events, and there are a few similar to the Capel 200, are good fun, they are no better than a day out with your mates. There's alot of people, a few tools amongst em, and too much time waiting around.

Some great tracks though and you would have no trouble Konrad on the "beast". Some technical stuff is optional and if you're quick enough you can do it twice.
I tend to disagree. From my experience I would say this event is not the place for the big twins. Yes, it could be done but I wouldn't think it would be much fun.

I do agree that a day out with your mates would be a better option, and cheaper.
Hill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #4992
Muddler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Billy View Post
I tend to disagree. From my experience I would say this event is not the place for the big twins. Yes, it could be done but I wouldn't think it would be much fun.

I do agree that a day out with your mates would be a better option, and cheaper.
+1
But it's a good thing these events are available for the many people that do prefer this style of riding. Personally what I like is getting away from the crowds.
Muddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #4993
neilaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Billy View Post
From the man who entered the QFR on an GS.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #4994
Hill Billy
Part-time Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilaction View Post
From the man who entered the QFR on an GS.
Yeah, but I couldn't have done that without the invaluable assistance of my dedicated support crew.
The QFR is a walk in the park compared to the enduro style events like the Capel 200
Hill Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:30 AM   #4995
J_B
Mid-life Crisis

Old Betsy

Anyone have the spot locator link for Mike(old betsy) ? I think they are on the CSR now

Thanks
JB
Xr650r
KX450F x2