ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 11:32 PM   #61
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod
I have the map detail on the highest, but I'm seeing jack in areas I know there are good roads.
Some roads won't appear until you hit a certain zoom level. This is overridden if you route on these hidden roads - then the road will suddenly jump out of the woodwork. But if you zoom down far enough, the entire road network will appear.

I'm sure the interaction between zoom level and road detail is some compromise between avoiding too much clutter in urban areas and not showing roads in rural areas, but generally, I find it annoying to have to zoom down to such a small scale to see roads when I'm in the boonies. And View > Map Detail doesn't seem to do a whole lot in this regard to change the tradeoff.

MapSource is just a cludgy program.

- Mark
Old 09-28-2007, 02:13 AM   #62
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,889
Agreed! I did finally see a road, but only after I zoomed in to 1.5 miles. I shouldn't have to zoom in that far to see something. If it were a paper map and I saw a line that thin, there is no way way I would think it was an 'actual' road. I'll get used to it.

Another pissed off mac user. I have been using Garmin and other aviation products for years, and have always found the actually Garmin units to be so much more intuitive, so it just makes me wonder how their software guy F-ed up so bad. You can tell me how to find a McDonalds (every half mile, with a 300ft sign), but you can't show me a back road or two?
Old 10-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #63
Ooobah-Moto
Banned

Oddometer: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkern
There is no way to create a track from scratch in Mapsource- you have to ride the physical path to create the track.
This is incorrect. Using Mapsource, click on 'tools' in the menu bar, then click on 'track draw'. Suffice to say - make sure you're using the latest version of Mapsource software. In addition you MIGHT be required to have topographical software.... I do... and I can draw tracks... but I cannot confirm whether or not it's available to me because I have Garmin topo software loaded.

So, if you find the 'track draw' feature in Mapsource:
You can draw a track, thereby automatically creating many via points every hundred meters or so. This alleviates the problem of uploading a route into your GPS with a limited number of waypoints/via points whereby the GPS shows a straight line between points - a usual occurrence when using the "routing" tool.

The downside to creating a route using the track draw feature:
1. It will not allow autorouting (so you have to keep an eye on the GPS at all times and follow it accordingly).
2. When creating the track, Mapsource does not allow you to "rubber-band" the route. Once the track has been created/drawn using your mouse (and a steady hand) that's your final product - you get what you see.
3. A steady hand is necessary when drawing the route, as the tracks option uses a "pencil" to draw the route - it does not "gravitate" towards roads or trails already present on the map.

Alternatives:
You can use the routing tool in Mapsource. Once you create the route you're happy with - draw over it using the tracking tool!!!!! This process can be time consuming, but by first using the routing tool it will allow you to "rubber-band"/fine-tune your route. Afterwards, drawing over it using the tracking tool will create all the via points necessary for the track to show up on your GPS - with all the turns in the places you intended.

On the road in use:
Once you've autorouted/found your way to the beginning of your "track/route", just follow it - if you miss a turn, zoom out and find your way back using your rational intuition.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #64
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber-Moto
You can use the routing tool in Mapsource. Once you create the route you're happy with - draw over it using the tracking tool!!!!! This process can be time consuming, but by first using the routing tool it will allow you to "rubber-band"/fine-tune your route. Afterwards, drawing over it using the tracking tool will create all the via points necessary for the track to show up on your GPS - with all the turns in the places you intended.
Or you can use WinGDB which automatically converts routes into tracks. Takes almost no time.

See this thread.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #65
Ooobah-Moto
Banned

Oddometer: 3,809
Wow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU
Or you can use WinGDB which automatically converts routes into tracks. Takes almost no time.

See this thread.

AMAZING!!!! I can't believe how easy it is.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:29 AM   #66
seredyns
Husky Rider

Oddometer: 8
Everyone thanks! I have been trying to figure this out for awhile!
Old 10-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #67
Van Isle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
What happens when Mapsource product (Garmin Worldmap) won't autoroute on the PC but will on the GPS?

I've got all the preferences set, as far as I know, for proper road-based auto routing, but no go.

Buggers.

VI
Old 10-11-2007, 05:15 PM   #68
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Isle
What happens when Mapsource product (Garmin Worldmap) won't autoroute on the PC but will on the GPS?

I've got all the preferences set, as far as I know, for proper road-based auto routing, but no go.

Buggers.

VI
Worldmap does not seem to be a routable product. If you have a gps that routes, it is likely routing on the basemap, not on Worldmap.

Check garmin's site to be sure.

Dave

dunno.....
Old 11-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #69
petdav
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Worldmap ver 4.0 is indeed not turn-by-turn routable. I verified this with Garmin before updating from my ver 3.0 for a trip to Mexico next year. I believe some of the frustrations can be avoided by simply drawing your route on the pc - it will be a straight line as the crow flies- then using the tools described earlier in this excellent thread to add via points, thus making the route much closer to being a turn-by-turn route.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:19 AM   #70
Rabbitson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Garmin MapSource Tutorial Document - Just Finished Writing

Hi There,

I've just finished writing a MapSource Tutorial Document if anyones interested. I've tried to make if fairly detailed without being too much for beginners.

Let me know what you think, if you like it you're welcome to add it to your articles pages.

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/usefu..._Tutorial1.pdf

If it's slow to load, try again later :)

David
Old 11-23-2007, 07:12 AM   #71
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,165
Navigate a saved route from middle

Is it possilbe to jump in the middle of a previously saved route (from mapsource) while riding along. I use a Garmin 2730, had a route created and downloaded from Mapsource, but did not use the start point, tried to activate before reaching destination.

GPS tried to take me to the beginning of route (150 miles backwards), could not figure out how to resume from current point, is that possible? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #72
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker
Is it possilbe to jump in the middle of a previously saved route (from mapsource) while riding along. I use a Garmin 2730, had a route created and downloaded from Mapsource, but did not use the start point, tried to activate before reaching destination.

GPS tried to take me to the beginning of route (150 miles backwards), could not figure out how to resume from current point, is that possible? Thanks.
With my 60 Cx you have to start traveling along the route. It will eventually figure out where you are within the route. You will have to disregard any turn prompts until it sorts itself out though.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
Old 01-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #73
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
After reading this thread, I'm now wondering if I just wasted 4hrs of time the other night mapping out what I thought was going to be my "big adventure" for next year. Using Mapsource, I started from just out front of my house and thought I mapped out a 2500-mile trek that will take my friends and I from Indiana across various byways and two-lane blacktop out to Atlantic City, looping back into DE by ferry, and then heading along the Skyway, BRP, Skyline, etc. and then heading back up to IN via two-laners. I placed waypoints along various points to keep the route on the roads that I wanted to take.

So when I load this into my 2610, its going to reroute the thing however it wants?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:32 AM   #74
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Squarejaw
After reading this thread, I'm now wondering if I just wasted 4hrs of time the other night mapping out what I thought was going to be my "big adventure" for next year. Using Mapsource, I started from just out front of my house and thought I mapped out a 2500-mile trek that will take my friends and I from Indiana across various byways and two-lane blacktop out to Atlantic City, looping back into DE by ferry, and then heading along the Skyway, BRP, Skyline, etc. and then heading back up to IN via two-laners. I placed waypoints along various points to keep the route on the roads that I wanted to take.

So when I load this into my 2610, its going to reroute the thing however it wants?
You did an entire route that is 2500 miles long? You can start with that, but as also posted in the stickies, it's best to split up your routes into daily pieces or in 3-400 mile chunks. After all, what if you change your mind, need to detour, decide to check out something that you hear about on the way. I don't think a 2610 could recalculate something that big, in maybe an hour or so, just saying.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #75
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
You did an entire route that is 2500 miles long? You can start with that, but as also posted in the stickies, it's best to split up your routes into daily pieces or in 3-400 mile chunks. After all, what if you change your mind, need to detour, decide to check out something that you hear about on the way. I don't think a 2610 could recalculate something that big, in maybe an hour or so, just saying.
HAHAHA....yeah, I did exactly that

I guess thats what I get for not thinking about the units processing power, etc. Back to the drawing board. This is my first big trip, the 2610 is new to me (refurb unit), and I got all excited and didn't think about any of that. I'm glad I found this site. I'll lurk around a little more and go from there. I guess if nothing else, I confirmed that the route is 2492mi and now I can figure out how I want to break it up, etc.
Closed Thread