User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
jigdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 813
Helmet Mirrors

A few years ago I tried the Bugeye helmet mirror. I was riding a Yamaha FZ-1 which had unbelieveably bad mirrors and was desperate to find something better. The Bugeye proved to be a revelation. It is so much better than ANY mirror on a motorcycle I have used! Just one on the side of your helmet gives you a clear view behind you from shoulder to shoulder of the road. Because you can move the mirror when you turn your head, there is NOTHING behind you that cannot be seen. Excellent in every respect. Try one they are only $10. I am surprised not to see more of them! (I have no ties to Bugeye I do this as a public service)
jigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 46,916
How about a link to them?

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
Schtum
Free Genie

Oddometer: 1,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
How about a link to them?

Jim
http://www.bugeyes.com/

I'd been thinking about these recently and wondering about fixing one to the peak on my Tour X. I'd then be able to see what was happening behind while standing on the pegs.
Schtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
jigdog OP
Studly Adventurer

www.bugeyes.com

I have a pixture but dont know how to post it.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439
i used to use a Miricycle (sp?) helmet mirror on my old hardshell Bell bicycle helmets. good stuff, but you can experience some eyestrain when first using them. once you get used to it, it's not an issue. the newer bicycle helmets had thinner shells and didn't let the mirror mount to them, there may be a stick-on version now.
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride.

"... in my version of Heaven you get all your dogs back." – Mista Vern
"Old dogs don't die, they just wait for you in another place." – Twilight Error

I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:30 PM   #6
MrPickle
NP Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 601
Whoa...those are interesting! The GS mirrors aren't good for anything past a car length or two at speed. Seeing as how the bike promotes hooliganism, it'd be nice to see rollers in the rear view before they're bouncing blue light off the back of your helmet.

Thought: I'm over 40 and need reading glasses e.g. my eye muscles don't adjust near-to-far as good as they used to...I wonder how those (really close) mirrors would work for a guy like me when toggling my focus between them and the car ahead.....?

MrPickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
KCDakar
What are we waiting for?

Oddometer: 3,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPickle
Thought: I'm over 40 and need reading glasses e.g. my eye muscles don't adjust near-to-far as good as they used to...I wonder how those (really close) mirrors would work for a guy like me when toggling my focus between them and the car ahead.....?

Not so much....I also have the same issue.
But maybe Lasics (sic?) would help!

I tell it what it wants to hear, and it does what I want it to do. I made that Motronic my bitch. Poolside

Save $5 on Smugmug by entering coupon code: GJBcMk1uLoZm6
KCDakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #8
2dumbnotto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
One of the guys I ride with made a mirror from a mechanics inspection mirror. One bolt through the visor and your done.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:30 AM   #9
jigdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Well whatever issues you have FOR $10 you can get a Bugeye and experiment! Yes MIRRORS SUCK on motorcycles! Compared to these at least. (BTW I lied. I get $100 for every mirror I get you to buy)
Old 03-09-2007, 09:03 AM   #10
GSWayne
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,900
It is interesting, I use a helmet mounted mirror on my bicycle every day, but never thought of using one on a motorcycle. I would worry about wind buffeting or noise, but I am sure that will vary for every bike, windshield, helmet, and rider size variation.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #11
hgulledge
Adventurer-of-sorts

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPickle
Whoa...those are interesting! The GS mirrors aren't good for anything past a car length or two at speed. Seeing as how the bike promotes hooliganism, it'd be nice to see rollers in the rear view before they're bouncing blue light off the back of your helmet.

IIRC from what little college physics that I remember, what you are looking at in the mirror is a virtual image and close focus isn't required. It is the same as if you were looking at something 200 feet away without the mirror. :squint
Old 03-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #12
jigdog OP
Studly Adventurer

There is no noise from this mirror even at 100 mph, nor does it move around even at speed. Even without a fairing. Not being attached to the bike THEY CANT VIBRATE. The only thing I suggest is remove the mirrors from the bike. You will look at them from reflex. Not good because you cant see as well with them as the helmet mirror.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #13
Pete156
I love to eat!

Oddometer: 1,440
Removing the mirrors from the bike will make it illegal in most states, I would discourage this practice.
Pete156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 10:55 AM   #14
jigdog OP
Studly Adventurer

The cops dont pull me over for driving without a headlight so I doubt they will pull you over for no mirrors. (well...maybe down South) I guess you could paint the mirrors black in that case...
Old 03-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #15
PizzaHog
Thought Criminal

Oddometer: 2,775
Tried 'em, hated 'em

I tried the Bugeyes last year, because I'm tired of seeing my arms and chest in the mirrors. They proved to be, for me, a complete disaster. The reflected image was a constant source of peripheral vision irritation, and while the "look off" angle wasn't the worst, it was significant, and the focus/refocus changes took too much time. I almost ate a bumper because my attraction kept being attracted to the reflections in the Bugeyes...

I guess some folks like 'em; I really didn't.

YMMV...

PH
"For just as the Constitution is not a suicide pact, neither is there an obligation in the civil society to go meekly to one’s death at the state’s behest, or to satisfy its lust for absolute control over its citizens." Michael Walsh
PizzaHog is offline   Reply With Quote