User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2007, 06:48 AM   #1
WildHorseRider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
BMW Enduro helmet review

I just got a BMW Enduro helmet and after using the Arai Tour X it might be of interest for others to know how I feel they compare.

Price: the BMW is cheaper here in South Africa where I am still riding most this days.

Finish: the overall look of the Arai is may be a touch better. But I feel that both the actual shell and the lining material are better on the Enduro. Especially the lining as I had to replace my Tour X because the material covering the foam around the bottom (neck) was completely worn out and even falling apart (30,000+ km of riding, 20,000 miles). The chin strap is a (too) long cheap piece of webbing with sharp edges on the Enduro: this is not up to what one expects from a high quality helmet. The fact that the full up screen rubs again the visor when in full down position (annoying and requires extra precaution) is an other minus for the Enduro.

Weight: The Enduro is much lighter and that was the first big noticeable change.

Fit: Both helmet are the same size, so I would say that they have similar fit. But the Enduro is much tighter at the base and it is more difficult to put it on as you really have to pull on the neck straps to get your head trough the bottom part. After it is a very snug fit all around with no hard points: better (for me) than the Arai. I was already very pleased with the fit of the Arai, the BMW fit is impressive.

Field of view: The BMW helmet is better than the Arai. The peripheral field of view is great.

Noise: The BMW is louder at lower speeds but feel (subjective) a bit quieter at higher speed (above 65 mph). The visor is definitely a big noise generator on the Enduro helmet.

Aerodynamic forces: The BMW pushes your head around less than the Arai in all the configurations ( free flow, behind the windscreen, cross wind...).

Ventilation: The Enduro is much better than the Tour X by keeping your head cooler even in 90+ fahrenheit.

Screen: The BMW is way better. No deformation, anti-fogging, anti-scratch (the anti fogging does work!) and full UV protection.

Looks: this is purely subjective. I personally feels that BMW did an outstanding design work and their helmet looks better: the Arai is narrower in width but longer, the BMW looks "rounder" and closer to the head.
WildHorseRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
michaelknight100
USMC RECON

Oddometer: 103
Enduro Helmet

wish we could get the BMW Enduro Helmet here in the United States. Would love to have one. Michael
michaelknight100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,676
Thanks for the review... For us here, something to keep in mind when travelling in Europe, as BMW no longer sells helmets here.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
MikeO
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,756
Point to bear in mind - if you open the visor fully (which you'd need to do in order to wear goggles, for example), you must put the peak in its highest position - otherwise the peak marks the visor.

A surprisingly poor bit of design in an otherwise excellent helmet - it'd be easy to put right in later production models - I hope this will be part of BMW's plans...

Old 03-11-2007, 12:52 AM   #5
Repko
Adventurer wantabe

Oddometer: 538
Great picture!

Great picture! What kind of Jacket & Pants??? are those???
Amazing love (grace) how can it be, that you my king would die for me?
Repko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:21 AM   #6
WildHorseRider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
To use the Enduro helmet with goggles the best is to remove the screen...

An add-on to my review: when using ear plugs this helmet is much more quieter than the Arai Tour X. The lining material and foam used by BMW doesn't transfer vibrations as the ones used on the Tour X. I had the quiets ride ever yesterday (350 miles with 200 on dirt). So quiet that I had to slow myself down a few times as I didn't have the "feel" for speed trough engine and wind noises. Actually you hardly (if not) ear the engine.
WildHorseRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:02 PM   #7
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repko
Great picture! What kind of Jacket & Pants??? are those???
Looks like the Rev'It Cayenne
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
Looks like the Rev'It Cayenne
Not a Cayenne. Hard to see on my small Motorola smartphone but by the emblem my guess is Hein Gericke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #9
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by R12GS HOOLIGAN
Not a Cayenne. Hard to see on my small Motorola smartphone but by the emblem my guess is Hein Gericke?
Looks like the updated HG Tuareg that came out a year or so ago? Prefer the older version myself.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #10
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,470
I was looking at my Enduro helmet, how do you move the peak to it's highest position? It looks like it stays in just one position.

Eddie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeO
Point to bear in mind - if you open the visor fully (which you'd need to do in order to wear goggles, for example), you must put the peak in its highest position - otherwise the peak marks the visor.

A surprisingly poor bit of design in an otherwise excellent helmet - it'd be easy to put right in later production models - I hope this will be part of BMW's plans...

HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:22 AM   #11
MikeO
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
I was looking at my Enduro helmet, how do you move the peak to it's highest position? It looks like it stays in just one position.

Eddie
Check the manual Eddie - it's adjustable. I don't have the helmet here, so I can't check how - but I seem to remember a screw somewhere up towards the top of the peak, which allows adjustment...

Mike
Old 06-21-2007, 12:27 PM   #12
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHorseRider
Looks: this is purely subjective. I personally feels that BMW did an outstanding design work and their helmet looks better...
You're right; purely subjective. I personally feel that BMW were pissed when they designed it and it looks crap.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:53 PM   #13
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,878
I'm seriously tempted to pick one of these up this winter. My XD is getting pretty ragged, and would cost me around $900 CAD to replace. I can get the Enduro for $574 CAD delivered.

I like my System IV for comfort and build quality, really like my XD for the design and fit, so this one looks like a good choice at a good price.

Anyone else running one?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #14
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10
I'm seriously tempted to pick one of these up this winter. My XD is getting pretty ragged, and would cost me around $900 CAD to replace. I can get the Enduro for $574 CAD delivered.

I like my System IV for comfort and build quality, really like my XD for the design and fit, so this one looks like a good choice at a good price.

Anyone else running one?
So this thing is cheaper than a XD?

Edit: 3000 post mile marker...

soloyosh screwed with this post 06-21-2007 at 02:18 PM
soloyosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #15
weezel
n00b

Oddometer: 4
So how much is the enduro helmet selling there in South Africa?
Too bad BMW in my country doesnt bring in those.
weezel is offline   Reply With Quote