User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #1
TheMan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Thumb Warm & Safe heated gloves review

Being a year-round rider I've tried heated grips, heated gloves, and heated glove liners to keep my fingers from freezing. I just wanted to share my review on some new heated gloves I had the opportunity to try.

Let me just get right to the verdict: these things rock! I used them this morning for a 15' commute at parkway speeds (50-60) in 12F and my hands/digits were comfortable.

To be succinct:
- good CF armor (not found on any other heated glove)
- high quality leather
- high quality construction (2x stitching where it counts)
- waterproof
- comfy fleecy lining
- good efficacy - good heat takes the cold edge off
- nice, large gauntlet
- reflective piping and finger trim (nice for low-light/night riding)
- NOT BULKY!! (<-- this is huge in my book)
- you don't feel the heating elements - no wires pressing into your hands

These are the best heated/cold weather gloves going, IMO. I've tried the following others and among them, the W&S gloves get my money:
- Gerbing G3
- Gerbing heated glove liner
- WarmGear
- Gerbing thick bulky bastards (Classic)

I've found that, at least for my preferences and style of riding, the Gerbing thick bulky bastards heat very well but their bulk reduces dexterity too much to be practical. Maybe they're ok for open road touring during which there's minimal shifting and braking, but not for commuting or spirited riding. WarmGear are bulky and just plain don't heat well for their bulk. These W&S gloves are just about as trim as my Teknic Violators. Glove liners are effective but are pain in the ass to use (and easy to lose), and may require purchasing an extra pair of one-size-larger street glove to fit them well, so they don't fit so tight you lose circulation and get cold anyway. . .

Warm & Safe, my source tells me, should have these available in about 3-4 weeks. There's even a rumor this might be offered in a waterproof version. If you go to their web site you'll be linked to WarmGear gloves that they're selling until the W&S gloves are ready. I tried those WarmGear gloves and man, they suck (way bulky and don't heat for shite).

If you're in the market, these are worth the wait. I'm a critical consumer of moto gear and I honestly can say these are the best heated gloves available - and I've tried everything out there

TheMan screwed with this post 03-20-2007 at 11:22 AM
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
I've been awaiting their gloves for some time. These sound like they'll work pretty good. I assume they'll plug right into the W&S jacket liner or into a harness by themselves. Any news yet on prices for us?
Thanks, Anthony Bailey
Old 03-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
TheMan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKZ1
I've been awaiting their gloves for some time. These sound like they'll work pretty good. I assume they'll plug right into the W&S jacket liner or into a harness by themselves. Any news yet on prices for us?
Thanks, Anthony Bailey
They'll plug into W&S of course as well as Gerbing, or anything for that matter that uses the same coax plugs.

Not sure about price but I recall discussion a while back involving ~$160, but that was before a couple revisions came through so who knows what the final # landed at.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,029
Look great. How did you get the privilege of testing the gloves?
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
sachiwilson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 782
Excellent news. I appreciate the information about the armor as well - that's important to me. Thanks for the review.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
iceman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Look great. How did you get the privilege of testing the gloves?

Good question ? Please tell us, are you the owners son?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
TheMan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman
Good question ? Please tell us, are you the owners son?
I could tell you but then I'd have to uh...slap you silly w.the gloves

I'm just a critical gearhead fortunate enough to have gotten ahold of the prototype I've no vested interest in whether these sell or not, I'm just a guy who researches the piss out of things, and when I find something that I believe in I like to tell my riding cronies about it, save them the trouble of making the same misguided wanderings I did (e.g. buying and trying all the other options ).

Anyways, I've been lurking, reading here for quite some time but never posted (most of my time is spent on Ducati boards and ST.N). I know most of you here ride in conditions warranting heated gear, so I wanted to share my experience w.these, figured you guys will be particularly interested.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,096
if they are anything like the quality in the Warm&Safe jacket liners, then they should be the best!
I bought Gerbings gloves, didn't heat , maybe a bad pair. Looked at Widder,,HUGEASS connectors, got the WarmGear, they work alright, but not "fry your hands" hot either,,sometimes I want that!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
Deerhead
Be Safe Out There!

Oddometer: 394
Heated Gloves--WATERPROOF I hope!!!

If these gloves are as warm, safe (Kevlar label), not bulky, AND WATERPROOF!!! I bang down the door to get them. My only issue I have is waterproof gloves, haven't found any really waterproof gloves, many glove covers, etc but not any waterproof motorcycle gloves.
I hope what you're saying will happen, like I said I'll be the first in line.
Deerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
TheMan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhead
If these gloves are as warm, safe (Kevlar label), not bulky, AND WATERPROOF!!! I bang down the door to get them. My only issue I have is waterproof gloves, haven't found any really waterproof gloves, many glove covers, etc but not any waterproof motorcycle gloves.
I hope what you're saying will happen, like I said I'll be the first in line.
Deerhead, just for you I tested the waterproof version - which will likely be the only version available - today and methinks you better wrap your hand in something soft for the imminent banging; these things ARE tested waterproof! :uhhuh I went out in some early morning rain today and to make sure the heat wasn't cooking off any moisture that may have breached the glove I tried it again just now at home in the sink - for 10' w.no respite (as long as I had the patience for). See pics below:

I'll update the thread or post a new one when I can confirm availability.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #11
Deerhead
Be Safe Out There!

Oddometer: 394
WATERPROOF electric gloves

Thanks for the demonstration. I'm in, just let me know where to send the money.
Deerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #12
mutineer
Raoul Duke Lives

Oddometer: 18,916
OK,

I am serious fan of Warm N' Safe gear
I have purchased it for myself and my wife
I have gone out of my way to recommend his hear

but

I have some reservations here
a tester not giving up much about his identity or how he came to be a product tester give me pause

I have never ever found a leather glove to be truly waterproof so I am very anxious to hear more

I have been waiting a long time to hear about these gloves and have been holding off on making a purchase just so I could see Mike Coan's product

as far as I know he is the only serious rider designing gear from a riders perspective

but I think a more complete disclosure would be beneficial

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #13
TheMan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutineer
OK,

but

a tester not giving up much about his identity or how he came to be a product tester give me pause

I have never ever found a leather glove to be truly waterproof so I am very anxious to hear more

I have been waiting a long time to hear about these gloves and have been holding off on making a purchase just so I could see Mike Coan's product

as far as I know he is the only serious rider designing gear from a riders perspective

I understand your pov. Suffice it to say I'm (also) a customer of his who believes in his products. I also have various Gerbing gear and have bought/tried lots of things, including the WarmGear on W&S's site. (You may recall I think they suck). It has been frustrating, not finding what I believe to be a good solution (grips, others' gloves, etc). Having lost one of my Gerb glove liners I was at a crossroads - buy a new set of liners (which are a PITA to use, but heat pretty well) or wait for Mike's gloves which appeared to be what I've been looking for. As the critical pain in the ass Mike has come to know me to be, I was offered the opportunity to try the prototypes you see.

I have no agenda or vested interest in W&S (other than the fact I want W&S to be around so I can look fwd to better products down the road, and I respect that they're riders for riders busting their humps). I know how it probably appears (a 'noob' w.a handful of posts), but there you have it

As far as the waterproof facet, by my tests today the gloves are waterproof. Since the leather felt saturated after 10' under the faucet and my hands were dry, I'm assuming there's a waterproof liner inside. Even now, hours later, as they dry by the radiator, my hand comes out dry when I check for latent breaches.

Anyway, I don't want W&S to get deluged with inquiries about the 'reported on ADVrider' availability so when I speak to them again and have some solid info I'll update. I only posted since there appeared to be a light at the end of the tunnel but I know there's one more minor adjustment they'll probably want to make so my guess is several weeks yet. But that's just a guess.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #14
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutineer
OK,

but

Great post. This one's for you, Mutineer:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AxKTzwaEa...elated&search=
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 05:21 AM   #15
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
I predict the first pair sold will be FedEx'd to China for a little reverse engineering...