Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,936
Puking Oil!

Hello All,

Got my 1994 R100GS yesterday. The seller brought it down to where I live in B.C. in the back of his truck. On arrival we did the deal and parted ways. The starter was noisy but pulled hard - it ran well, considering that it had not seen any use since October. He mentioned that he had noticed a small oil leak out of the bottom part of the engine but not a big issue.

This morning I decided to fire it up and head out on my first ride. She fired right up and off I went. About a half mile away I heard the engine gurgling and decided to pull over and have a look. The area around the filter cover was very wet and I was losing lots of oil! I've got a back injury, so I decided to head it home without hesitation - the thought of pushing this thing back didn't go over well with me. The oil light never once flickered or came on throughout this event. I checked the oil when I got home and the stick was dry.

I am an aircraft mechanic and so I decided to pull the bash plate and have a look at the pan/filter cover/oil cooler lines. Nothing was loose. I filled her back up with oil and fired it up - no oil leak anywhere. Leaks do not go away by themselves from my experience.

Is it possible the the bash plate, which was installed with a stack of washers at each corner was distorting the pan and causing the seal to leak? Is it possible that the oil pressure relief valve stuck closed and the filter cap started to leak? Not a drop of oil coming out of her now.

I'm figuring that the thing never ran out of oil because the oil light never came on - do you guys agree? Give me your thoughts. Jackd
jackd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
notarex
Can U taste the waste?

Oddometer: 1,213
Are you aware of the the oil filter cover O-ring issue? Start with Snowbum or the Airheads tech list, pour yourself a stiff one and prepare to not go anywhere for a while. Don't worry- it's probably not the end of the world Oh, I see you own a triumph so you've already got a bag of Dri-zit in the garage...

notarex screwed with this post 03-12-2007 at 03:06 PM
notarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Actually the Triumph is dry as a bone. Only oil on the floor is from the chain. Jackd
Old 03-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Anyone got a link to the SnowBum thread? Jackd
Old 03-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd
Anyone got a link to the SnowBum thread? Jackd

I think its this one:

http://pweb.jps.net/~snowbum/Oil.htm

but you may want to keep the whole index handy:

http://pweb.jps.net/~snowbum/techindex.htm

the oil related ones are down around the 50's.

--J
Old 03-12-2007, 03:25 PM   #6
Slope'r
Turn'n Valves

Oddometer: 492
Read this article on the 'O' ring

Linky to snowbum's technical article on the '$2000 'O' Ring"

Linky to the rest of the stuff.

Very easy but important measurement...DO This Before Further Riding!

'94 R100GS/PD

'06 F650GSL
Slope'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:43 PM   #7
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

I just went to the Snowbum link and had a good read. I am heartened by the fact that my oil light never came on and my distance to home was so short - I killed the engine and coasted the last little bit. I might have been on the verge of getting a light in view that the dipstick was dry. All I added was a quart to bring it back up. There was a gurgling noise from the engine when I stopped to check the engine that concerns me. Jackd
Old 03-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #8
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,779
Here's a current one on the forum:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206836
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:09 PM   #9
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for all the good reads. I went to the links and especially the one of the bike that had the trail of oil behind it - and the cause was the recessed tube. What I can't figure is why the leak has since stopped and the engine is behaving normally. Oil leaks in my business are not self healing. Is it possible that the oil pressure relief valve failed to open and the canister lid couldn't contain the sudden increase in pressure? If the relief valve suddenly decides to work, then the pressure in the cannister would decrease and the leak would stop. Anybody seem this happen?

I'm heading off to buy the factory filter tomorrow and I will do the measurements as per the book.

Thanks, Jackd
Old 03-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #10
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

I went out this morning and had a look under the bike and at the engine case. No sign of a weep anywhere. I am suspecting the oil filter cover is the source (the tire was wet on the R/H side, as was the paralever) but I would think that if this seal had failed then it would continue to leak. Looks fine now.
Has anyone ever had this happen? Has anyone ever had the Oil pressure relief valve stick closed on them? I'm going to talk to a dealer today.
Jackd
Old 03-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #11
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Allow the engine to cool sufficiently and pressure wash the suspected oil leak area. Check the torque on the oil filter cover (3 bolts) which is only 80 in/lbs. Area should now be spotless and dry. Run it.....either it leaks or it does not leak. Sources for leaks if on the r/h side like you say can be the oil filter cover and associated banjo fittings and their washer gaskets, push rod seals or push rod tubes (which are brazed in..unlikely), cylinder base or even the front timing cover. Hall effect sensor behind the front cover and below the alternator can also be a source.
Maybe check the tq on the heads for integrity of the studs. A pulled stud will cause an oil leak amongst other things.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:58 PM   #12
GSPD750
Adventurer

Hello jackd. Talk about the irony of your oil leak and then for me to make the above post about possible sources. It was right after that post this afternoon that I went out to the garage to finish the o'haul of my gspd.
I had freshened up the heads, new piston rings, new timing chain and crankshaft sprocket, plus all new bearings in my gearbox including the circlip mod. All that was remaining today was to add all the fluids and fire it up.

It was a bit chilly in the garage (plus 2 celsius) and the golden spectro 20-50 was flowing mighty slow into the engine. Ok, it fired right up with the oil pressure light going out immediately...which is always a good thing.
After a couple minutes of idling I noticed fresh oil dripping from the oil filter cover along the bottom. Shut 'er down.

I had just replaced a new fram oil filter with a new oring and was sure I did not cut or damage it during the install. I checked the torque on the 3 bolts and cleaned the freshly leaked oil with solvent. I started it up again and it still seemed to weep. I then cleaned the area again and started it up for a 3rd time and reved the engine up to 3-4 k rpm. Oil leak was now gone and all subsequent starts today have been good with no signs of leakage from the cover.

My only possible conclusion is that the oil pressure relief valve on the front of crankshaft bearing housing some how stuck. It's a spring loaded plunger and I don't think I pre-lubed it prior to putting the timing cover back on so it may have stuck. That coinciding with the thick oil it may have took awhile for it to relieve.

Also the Clymer manual illustrates a ball and spring in the oil filter housing which also has I am assuming some sort of relief. I can't find much info on it and it's possible it may have stuck too.

Other than the oil leak which is now gone I am very pleased on how quiet my engine is now. I shimmed for end float on the rocker shafts which also helped. We've got snow here today so I have yet to road test it and I will be monitoring the filter cover some more.

That's it for my long winded storey but to answer your question earlier..yes oil can leak from that cover if not getting relief from somewhere else.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:25 PM   #13
jackd OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well I don't feel so confused anymore! You say that you didn't pre-lube your relief valve plunger and it probably hung up? I can only guess in my case that the valve, even though the engine only has 39k on it, somehow hung up due to sitting and over pressurized the system. I am now thinking that my crankshaft seals might have taken a bit of a beating throughout this event as well - I will keep an eye out for leakage.

I ran the bike today and like yours, there was no further leakage. I am still going to pull the filter, probably tomorrow and have a look at things.

The ball and spring in the housing is probably a filter bypass, which would allow for oil to bypass a clogged filter and still provide oil, in an unfiltered state, to the engine.

Thanks for this. You made my day! (Sorry it had to happen to you)

Jackd
Old 03-13-2007, 10:59 PM   #14
GSPD750
Adventurer

Yeah, I'm hoping too that my crankshaft seals were not affected by this in anyway. wtf..does this only happen in Canada.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:41 AM   #15
GSPD750
Adventurer

Update to my oil leak woes. I started it up once more tonite after letting it cool down. Temp in the garage +1 C. Ran it for only a minute and noticed it leaking again from the oil filter cover at the front side. Shut down again. Prior to this I noticed my oil level was a wee bit over the max line and I had slightly overserviced it. May have something to do with this...may not. I'll inspect the white oring and what ever oil drains should bring it to the proper level.
Oring looked ok but maybe I did not have it centered or seated properly.
I put another oring in (used but like new and not flattened out) and ran it again. No leaks. I'll still be watching it closely and as I already mentioned I need to give it a road test. If it leaks again I'm moving to Florida. Or maybe it was the white oring...I don't know anymore. I've changed my filter many times in the past and this is the first time I've had a leak..I've slightly hijacked your thread but maybe we can all learn from this. I'll update again later.