User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
spagthorpe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,482
Compressor recommendations?

Having blown off some work I was going to have done at a dealer, I've decided to use the difference in funds for a few new tools. I'd like to get a smallish compressor, but I don't want to go so small that all I have is a glorified tire inflator. It would be nice to drive a 1/2" impact long enough to get a crankshaft bolt off of a car, and occasionally hit something with a die grinder, but nothing sustained like paint spraying, or cutting apart a car.

I'm just not sure how small I can go as I just don't have enough experience with the them. How many cfm do I need to go with? I'm assuming the impact needs 5cfm+, but I don't need sustained use.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #2
Mituk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Depends a lot on your particular tools you want to use. I know my 1/2" impact is a hog for air - It will drain my little 6 gallon porter-cable compressor in a heartbeat, so I wouldn't go that small. The impact gets hooked up to the old army surplus rotary unit. :) You need enough air in reserve for the impact to get going -- a 2 second burst isn't going to do much of anything - so you need a tank with some size.

For use with air tools - even limited use - I personally wouldn't go smaller than a 20 gallon tank, and a pump that is putting out somewhere around 5 -7cfm at 90 psi. In my experience, anything much smaller and you have something that is fine for pumping tires, running an air ratchet for a bit, or doing some spraying - but a bit of a stretch for an impact gun.

I'd think a vertical or horizontal 20 gallon 2hp model would probably work fine for you - may be a bit big depending on your usage. From what I have seen, the step down from these units are meant mostly for running nailing guns in some capacity, not mechanic's air tools.

Cheers
Dave
'99 R1100RT
Mituk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #3
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 217
Look around for a used Speed Aire compressor. Some are huge, but they have nice little portable units that produce lots of air for a portable compressor.

You can't say happiness without saying penis.
juddspaintballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #4
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,281
Do you have 240V available or are you limited to 120V?
CFM matters for the longer run time tools, the die grinder.
Storage tank matters more for short burst tools, the impact wrench.

My large body Blue Point die grinder had my 5HP 60 gallon upright crying for mercy when I was porting a set of cast iron exhaust manifolds. But I could rotate a set of tires with the impact without it ever cycling on once. After a few upgrades I finally found what I am comfortable with. 5HP running IR 2-stage on a 60 gallon tank. I keep the regulator set to 120 PSI for most of the work. Sometimes spiking or cutting back for special projects. I could paint with it if need be.

The 2 HP 2 gallon pancake was a great portable air. Blowing out water lines so I could solder them. Impact was a little touchy, it would cycle on every single lugnut. But it would do it. It will never do a die grinder.

Started with (and my father still has) a 20 gallon 120V compressor. It did a lot of work, even did a little painting. It is probably the minimum I would recommend for your needs.

Two basic recommendations. Belt drive and oil lubed. No oil-less is the biggest one to avoid. I have never known a long term happy owner of one of those.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
firemanonabike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/dewalt-d55146

I have 4 of those, they work well, they last and the De Walt store can fix them for a reasonable price. The only problem, when we put them out as a loaner on dry sprinkler system, the maintance people do not drain the moisture and they fill with water and then cycle on and off.
firemanonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
spagthorpe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanonabike View Post
http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/dewalt-d55146

I have 4 of those, they work well, they last and the De Walt store can fix them for a reasonable price. The only problem, when we put them out as a loaner on dry sprinkler system, the maintance people do not drain the moisture and they fill with water and then cycle on and off.
I've never seen one of those. Are there many uses for such high pressure? I guess I should ask, not really knowing, would you want to run any tools at that kind of pressure?
Old 09-17-2014, 11:25 PM   #7
Diddy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Buy the biggest tank you can afford/store! i got a 50L thinking it would suit my needs just right for my small workshop......WRONG really wish i'd have gone 100L now as my cut off saw and die grinder gobble throught air in no time!!
Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:31 PM   #8
spagthorpe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
Do you have 240V available or are you limited to 120V?
I am limited to 120V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
Two basic recommendations. Belt drive and oil lubed. No oil-less is the biggest one to avoid. I have never known a long term happy owner of one of those.
I had assumed that the oil based compressors were more finicky, and had been looking at the oil-less ones. The oil lubed compressors seem to be cheaper. I've thought about just going with a cheap Harbor Freight model, as it seems like $170 or so, but of course, it probably has weird parts on it you can't ever replace, weird sized connectors, etc.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:46 AM   #9
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,666
An important part of which compressor is the budget.

I've had this compressor for 5 years and it will do what you describe. At around $100 on sale, I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

I will be upgrading to an indirect drive for the higher demand air tools, which really needs 220v to be efficient however.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:57 AM   #10
refractor
Kick Start Biker

Oddometer: 126
My dentist got a new compressor for his office and gave me his old one. Is powerful (runs off 220v) and is quiet, 20' away you can't hear it.

Had a hardware store 2.5 hp unit (they claimed, but I doubt it running 115volts on a 15 amp circuit) that was noisy and has only about have the energy of my dentist office compressor.

My new unit weighs 2oo-250 pounds. It has two motors driving two direct drive cast iron piston pumps. It has a built-in dryer.

If your new compressor is too small it may still work but it's duty cycle will be less. I used my air powered die grinder a lot at first but because of the compressor, I migrated to electric powered angle grinders.

refractor screwed with this post 09-18-2014 at 05:20 AM
refractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #11
spagthorpe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
An important part of which compressor is the budget.

I've had this compressor for 5 years and it will do what you describe. At around $100 on sale, I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

I had kind of wanted to stay at around $300, but was willing to go up if needed. I don't really have space for the huge tank compressors, and something with wheels would be ideal.

I had also seen this one:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_476123-30449-0320541_1z0vjn9+1z10d76+2z8vo+2z8vp__?productId=50 081562&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1%26 page%3D1&facetInfo=In%20Store|$100%20-%20$200|$200%20-%20$400

Though with a 1-year warranty, it doesn't instill a lot of confidence. Ideally, whatever I got I'd like to be able to get parts for down the road. I liked the look of that Dewalt above, but reading reviews on it, people complain a lot that they can't get any parts for it.

I guess for the money I'm wanting to spend, I can't really expect much of an investment here. This one looks great, but can't really justify the cost right now.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/...sor/p8473.html
Old 09-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #12
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
So far as the 1/2" impact wrench goes nearly all the big tool companies now sell powerful cordless electric models rated for 300 ft-lbs or more, just bought one recently myself and love it....they have come a long ways and many pro mechanics now use them from what I've read. Was considering replacing my wimpy compressor with a bigger one but decided to keep it and go electric for the tools it won't power well.
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #13
cantupshift
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor441 View Post
So far as the 1/2" impact wrench goes nearly all the big tool companies now sell powerful cordless electric models rated for 300 ft-lbs or more, just bought one recently myself and love it....they have come a long ways and many pro mechanics now use them from what I've read. Was considering replacing my wimpy compressor with a bigger one but decided to keep it and go electric for the tools it won't power well.
+1 to this, you've already got a 110v socket. While having an electrically corded impact wrench isn't as 'cool' and having a compressor and hose reel, it does get the job done. Same goes for the grinder.

I'd really only consider an air compressor for tools that require air to run:

Soda Blaster
Media Blaster
Spray / Paint gun
Nail/Brad/Staple gun

I know I'm missing stuff too, but a question of what you plan to do with it that you can't do with a wall socket bears an answer.

I don't have a compressor myself, but do I want one? Hell Yes.
cantupshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,074
I think the only thing I need an impact driver for is replacing countershaft sprockets. Which electric model is good for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantupshift View Post
+1 to this, you've already got a 110v socket. While having an electrically corded impact wrench isn't as 'cool' and having a compressor and hose reel, it does get the job done. Same goes for the grinder.

I'd really only consider an air compressor for tools that require air to run:

Soda Blaster
Media Blaster
Spray / Paint gun
Nail/Brad/Staple gun

I know I'm missing stuff too, but a question of what you plan to do with it that you can't do with a wall socket bears an answer.

I don't have a compressor myself, but do I want one? Hell Yes.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #15
AllBlak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
If you have a big tank you don't need a lot of compressing capacity. You might be able to get a small portable unit and add on a larger reserve storage tank....
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to slide across the finish line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, and shouting GERONIMO!!!"
AllBlak is offline   Reply With Quote