Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #5671
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer: 2,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
Typically called Pole Building or Pole Barn. Cost is a lot less than traditional stick framed.
Wont the posts eventually rot out ?
I'm ignorant, but happy---steyr_scout308
STANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #5672
Rustynuts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANIMAL View Post
Wont the posts eventually rot out ?
Possibly, but in 80-100 years I won't be around to worry about it If properly treated posts are used, site preparation is done with ground sloped away from building and gutters with piped off downspouts are used the post can easily last past 100 years. I also went for the 2' overhand all the way around which keeps the water away.
Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #5673
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Quote:
Possibly, but in 80-100 years I won't be around to worry about it If properly treated posts are used, site preparation is done with ground sloped away from building and gutters with piped off downspouts are used the post can easily last past 100 years. I also went for the 2' overhand all the way around which keeps the water away.
Learn something everyday .
Old 11-24-2013, 03:33 AM   #5674
crosscountry
Bear went over Mountain

Oddometer: 2,410
Quote:

how thick was your slab? It's hard to tell from the photos.

I went for the thrill of adventure and the desire to explore - Charlie Duke
crosscountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:49 AM   #5675
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,190
Quote:
Very true I decided on no windows for now but can be added later. I would rather people not being able to see whats inside. No insulation in the floor just concrete, I am on the Southeren Oregon Coast, temp rarely get below 40 and is in the 50's most of the time.....thats summer and winter The roof and walls are all insulated. There is no build thread but here are some more pics. It is 40' x 48' x 16' eaves.
I want to do pole style construction but the fact that we actually get winter weather here, I am concerned on how to do the slab properly. I don't plan on keeping the space heated, so it is possible that the dirt under the slab could freeze.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #5676
boardrider247
Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
I want to do pole style construction but the fact that we actually get winter weather here, I am concerned on how to do the slab properly. I don't plan on keeping the space heated, so it is possible that the dirt under the slab could freeze.
It doesn't matter.
I have a pole barn in MN (we get plenty of actual winter)1/3 of it gets heated and the rest does not.
The slab in the unheated portion is almost 20 years old now with no issues.
No insulation under it just compacted gravel/dirt mix. That building does have a thicker outer ring of concrete in the slab because the posts are set on the slab rather then through it.
Pole barns are pretty much the standard for outbuildings here and most are not heated. I haven't ever heard of a slab problem related to ground under the slab freezing.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:00 AM   #5677
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
What is your concern?

Most every farm around me has a pole barn of some sort. They're usually not heated and have slab floors. But, they're probably at least ~8" thick, to support their machinery. The best buildings I've seen are Morton. Take a look through their gallery. You'll see plenty that aren't heated.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:33 AM   #5678
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,162
Came across this guy's build of a shed into "his" motorcycle heaven. I like it, not over done or ultra hard to attain. Nice choice of bikes too IMHO

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/20116...ntent=gallery6
Old 11-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #5679
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
Came across this guy's build of a shed into "his" motorcycle heaven. I like it, not over done or ultra hard to attain. Nice choice of bikes too IMHO

I believe the builder/owner is an inmate and he posted that earlier in this thread.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #5680
Shizoku
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:

The only issue with the setup is the floor. I have the Race Deck floor as well and the problem is that when you deploy the kickstand or center stand, it will gouge or leave a dent. The modular pieces are plastic and while they will support a car, without leaving a mark...rubber tires and weight distribution, but a motorcycle, it's weight concentrated on the kickstand/center stand, just doesn't work.
That's the downside of the plastic, modular system. While it looks fantastic, the functionality, especially if you intend to use a floor jack and jack stands for a car, takes a major hit.
You can work around it by using a piece of plywood placed under the floor jack/jack stands, so not a big deal, but I wish the Race Deck stuff was a bit tougher.

Dave In Valencia

Shizoku screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 09:15 AM
Shizoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #5681
STANIMAL
SUPPORT THE SECOND

Quote:

Thats an inmates house .
Old 11-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #5682
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualdogdave View Post
Purchased in 1993 I'm finally getting around to fixing up my 30' x 50" garage shop.
This is the first in a series of posts showing the details and improvements on the Dog House.
Stay tuned..........

Old 11-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #5683
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
I believe the builder/owner is an inmate and he posted that earlier in this thread.
All documented here in the Man Castle thread.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #5684
Rustynuts
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry View Post
how thick was your slab? It's hard to tell from the photos.
5.5" thick with 3/8" rebar on 16" centers on a vapor barrier with a sand base.
Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #5685
Vincenthdfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
What is your concern?

Most every farm around me has a pole barn of some sort. They're usually not heated and have slab floors. But, they're probably at least ~8" thick, to support their machinery. The best buildings I've seen are Morton. Take a look through their gallery. You'll see plenty that aren't heated.

Wow!

I have been looking for a website like that for a long time...thanks for sharing it.

I have it book marked in my favorites now, because its gonna take a long time to look at soooo many great pics.

I have a contract in on my 30 x 42 x 14 building right now (permit approval stage) so Im just in the hurry up and wait mode....being the middle of winter I have all kinds of time to dream and decide how I want to configure the inside and this website is giving me all kinds of wonderful ideas!

Thanks again.
Vincenthdfan is offline   Reply With Quote