ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
scottcolbath OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
scottcolbath's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The north edge of 85050
Oddometer: 6,668
Help an idiot. 640 Adv carb question

After a long break from working on the bike, I started to toss things back together tonight. I got to the carb and can not for the life of me remember which hose goes where, of if an outlet needs to be blocked since I removed my evap hardware. I already plugged the air box so at least that is done.

But on with the carb. I circled a couple of things.

I believe the circled doodad on the left (the one on the carb body) is what was originally a connection to the evap system and that I should now block it. It's either that or an overflow, but I know the float overflow is on the bottom of the carb and is a very small hose compared to the fitting I mention now.

The red circled doodad on the right (on the slide cover), I am completely drawing a blank. I see no hose dangling, I somehow did not take thorough enough pics during disassembly to ID that item.

Any suggestions, besides cutting back on the Jack Daniels, are appreciated.


Also, what is that black plastic thing on the side of the carb that has a connector that plugs into it?

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January
 
rjf's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
Oddometer: 4,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolbath
After a long break from working on the bike, I started to toss things back together tonight. I got to the carb and can not for the life of me remember which hose goes where, of if an outlet needs to be blocked since I removed my evap hardware. I already plugged the air box so at least that is done.

But on with the carb. I circled a couple of things.

I believe the circled doodad on the left (the one on the carb body) is what was originally a connection to the evap system and that I should now block it. It's either that or an overflow, but I know the float overflow is on the bottom of the carb and is a very small hose compared to the fitting I mention now. Dunno what its supposed to have, on USA bike's, as the Oz bikes don't come with evap canisters. My 03 just has a hose go from there to the airbox.

The red circled doodad on the right (on the slide cover), I am completely drawing a blank. I see no hose dangling, I somehow did not take thorough enough pics during disassembly to ID that item.
It stays as is. just an empty lug. blanked off at the bottom.
Any suggestions, besides cutting back on the Jack Daniels, are appreciated.


Also, what is that black plastic thing on the side of the carb that has a connector that plugs into it?
Throttle position sensor
S.C.
.
__________________
Central Coast ADVenture bike training courses and 1 on 1 lessons - For details Click HERE
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!

rjf screwed with this post 03-13-2007 at 10:33 PM
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:26 PM   #3
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January
 
rjf's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
Oddometer: 4,373
The parts diagram shows a hose (part#81) coming of the lug in the side of the carb body



Year/Model:2003, 640 LC4 Adventure
Component:CARBURETOR MIKUNI BST40-266 640 LC4
Item #:81
Part Number:54435024001
Description:HOSE ID 7,5 PER METER
Retail:$23.17
__________________
Central Coast ADVenture bike training courses and 1 on 1 lessons - For details Click HERE
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....
 
DSM8's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Glendora, Ca
Oddometer: 3,607
Not to hijack but

I had the same question but he beat me too it.

Mine is an 03 and all the smog stuff has been taken off the bike but several ports were left open to atmosphere. Wondering if somone can tell me where each of the lettered ports are supposed to go?

__________________
DSM8 - A different kind of mean
SQL > SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...d5LbKWMz6cHxaH
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January
 
rjf's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
Oddometer: 4,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8
I had the same question but he beat me too it.

Mine is an 03 and all the smog stuff has been taken off the bike but several ports were left open to atmosphere. Wondering if somone can tell me where each of the lettered ports are supposed to go?

A - vented to atmosphere, via a filter.

B - a hose for the EPC connects there on the Euro, oz bikes. Should be blocked of on USA bikes. (and Euro /oz bikes if owners want best acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear)

c - Hose going to the airbox. (Maybe it goes to evap canister on USA bikes)
__________________
Central Coast ADVenture bike training courses and 1 on 1 lessons - For details Click HERE
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:10 AM   #6
scottcolbath OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
scottcolbath's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The north edge of 85050
Oddometer: 6,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf
A - vented to atmosphere, via a filter.

B - a hose for the EPC connects there on the Euro, oz bikes. Should be blocked of on USA bikes. (and Euro /oz bikes if owners want best acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear)

c - Hose going to the airbox. (Maybe it goes to evap canister on USA bikes)
On "C", I was just going to leave this line open, under my seat sine I removed the evap system, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Should I toss one of those cute little filters on it like the other one?

Should I utilize the now unused/blocked off inlet to the air box?

Maybe some other option?

Comments?

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
boyscout
sittin' down
 
boyscout's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2001
Location: Cascadia
Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolbath
On "C", I was just going to leave this line open, under my seat sine I removed the evap system, but now I'm having second thoughts.
Should I toss one of those cute little filters on it like the other one?
Should I utilize the now unused/blocked off inlet to the air box?
Maybe some other option?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114485
__________________
Who me?

boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:20 PM   #8
scottcolbath OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
scottcolbath's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: The north edge of 85050
Oddometer: 6,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyscout
Interesting link, but I got bored quickly.

I ran the bowl vent tube to the air box and the bike runs great.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014