Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2009, 01:12 AM   #16
fargodroid
Banned

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0">Mo color:

One of the guys who brought his in to the dealership I worked at in '88 or so was an older guy in his 70's. Never said much, just dropped it off for the occasional oil change or tune, and it never needed anything out of the ordinary. The bike was spotless and mileage was IIRC in the high teens. He lived east of the dealership in a little rural town; about a 60 mile round-trip on back roads for him to bring it in. I remember we used to eyeball his bike and marvel at how clean it was. Even the most squidly employees had nice things to say about it.

Musta been late 90's when I saw him out in the countryside on the same bike. Just buzzing right along...both of them handling the years just fine. I think I had been through 10 bikes by then, so it was cool to see him and his Twinstar still happily rolling up the miles.
I can see how that would make me happy seeing an oldman and his bike, and perhaps it's not only the bike but the way he handled it, maybe it didn't pushed it out too far.
fargodroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #17
Bald Kirk
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer: 789
I agree with what has been said earlier.

These bikes used to come into my shop all the time for a beginner to get running and learn to ride. They are easy to work on and don't take mutch to keep them happy.

Plus, I think hippies that ride Twinstars are incredibly sexy.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #18
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
Here's a CM250 Custom, the Twinstar's big brother.

mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:37 PM   #19
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putts

Here's some pix:

Please, give that thing some nuts back....

Drop the bars, get a lean or stock seat, and clock the screen back a little...

I'm j/k...
Old 05-05-2009, 07:14 AM   #20
Impulse 101
Crazy Guitarist

Oddometer: 174
That bike is the spitting image of my first bike. It brings back so many memories. Riding to high school damned near year round in Wisconsin because it was my only ride. Chasing my friends on their dirt bikes on dirt trails because it was all I had to do it. I beat the hell out of it and it kept running. Eventually it started to pop out of gear due to the excessive beatings and I sold it when I joined the army in 1988 and got stationed in Alaska.

I would love to ride one again, just for old times sake.

JT
Old 08-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #21
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,842
Bumping an old thread here, but does anyone know the oil capacity on a 1980 CM200? I picked one up out of the Flea Market here and got it running yesterday with a capacitor in place of the battery (the replacement of which would have cost me 25% of the bike's purchase price).
TheOtherBart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #22
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantSith
Hey, I've got a question about the CM200T. I've never owned a motorcycle before and this is my first one. There's no tachometer on it, and so I'm always a little bit unsure about my RPMs. I don't want to "redline" but I'm not even sure what that would be since I'm not familiar with the sounds a motorcycle should be making. Does anyone have any tips for me? Thanks!
The vibration will be unbearable by the time you hit the redline.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #23
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart
Bumping an old thread here, but does anyone know the oil capacity on a 1980 CM200? I picked one up out of the Flea Market here and got it running yesterday with a capacitor in place of the battery (the replacement of which would have cost me 25% of the bike's purchase price).
And the answer, in case anyone else ever searches for it, is around 1 qt + 20 oz for an oil change without a filter change.

Now the next step is trying to sort out this hacked up electrical system. For example, there are turn signal wires at all four corners, and all four of them go hot whenever the turn signal switch is moved to the left OR right.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #24
don-vee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Ya know, I'm really happy to see this thread. A first-timer who actually wants a SMALL bike to start on! Excellent! Most threads like this start off something like, "I'm a first-time rider, I'll be taking my test in a week or so, and I'm looking for my first bike. I have been checking into either a Hayabusa or a ZX-14..."
don-vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:59 PM   #25
RSOJIM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
I traded a lawnmower the other day for a 1980 CM200t. The head light is missing, it needs a battery, but it still runs. The carb needs cleaned, I think, it could be an electric issue since the battery is dead. Its rusty and got knobbie tires front and back. The sprockets are good. Its got 9 thousand miles showing. It came with a title. I am 64 years old and I think I will enjoy this one.
RSOJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:51 PM   #26
RSOJIM
Adventurer

I worked on mine today. I had a shoulder operation last week, so working on a bike is therapy. I put a head light in it. I cleaned the chain and sprockets of 30 years of goop. ZEP does an excellent job sold at Home Depot. Put some in a spray bottle and apply liberally several times. Rinses off with a water hose. I had a moto cross dirt bike set of handle bars I installed. It came with a set of full knobbies. I ordered a new battery last night. I found it had a set of points and is 6 volt. I worked on removing a lot of rust. Its starting to clean up perty good. I can ride in the wild life management areas here in Florida if I have a street legal motorcycle. I think this will be my mini adventure bike. Its not too heavy, I don't like to ride fast. I stop and take a lot of pictures. I got an excellent shot of a pygmy rattler about a month ago. I got right in its face and snapped the pic. Foolish, I know, but it was not in its striking pose. I will post a picture when I find out how. Jim
Old 08-13-2010, 09:09 PM   #27
LashLarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
1980 cm200t

Got two of these although one is slowly being parted out. Check out the yahoo group for Twinstars.
LashLarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #28
RSOJIM
Adventurer

Put in a new battery. Got the head light working sort of. Carburator leaking everywere. Ordered new carb for 59.95 off e-bay. Installed it this morning. This is one terrific sounding little motor. Smooth motor. Dirt bike handle bars make this little bike comfortable to ride. I don't like pull backs. Think I will play with this one for a while. Jim
Old 08-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #29
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LashLarue
Got two of these although one is slowly being parted out. Check out the yahoo group for Twinstars.
Hey Lash, I don't have a Yahoo account and I don't want one, mind giving us the run-down? Where are you? What all do you have available?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #30
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSOJIM
Put in a new battery. Got the head light working sort of. Carburator leaking everywere. Ordered new carb for 59.95 off e-bay. Installed it this morning. This is one terrific sounding little motor. Smooth motor. Dirt bike handle bars make this little bike comfortable to ride. I don't like pull backs. Think I will play with this one for a while. Jim
Dude, your carb problem was probably something simple like a sticky float. Save yourself some money, poke around inside a little first!

And you're right about the sound. It's hard to beat a vertical twin IMHO. I went into the DMV this week and found out that it will cost almost as much to register it as I paid for it. This thing is going to be too much fun.