Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #31
LashLarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart
Hey Lash, I don't have a Yahoo account and I don't want one, mind giving us the run-down? Where are you? What all do you have available?
I don't really want to sell any of my parts bike since it will be backup for the one I ride and I intend to keep it awhile. I mention the Yahoo account not to sell but it is the best source of Twinstar mechanical help out there. Unfortunately, that Yahoo group does require membership but it is free.
LashLarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #32
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by LashLarue
I don't really want to sell any of my parts bike since it will be backup for the one I ride and I intend to keep it awhile. I mention the Yahoo account not to sell but it is the best source of Twinstar mechanical help out there. Unfortunately, that Yahoo group does require membership but it is free.
Sorry Lash, I misunderstood what you meant by "parting out".

So far the most useful tools for working on our CM200 have been a propane torch and a hammer. First the shifter was all out of whack. As adjusted it was too low to get a foot under, but raising it one tooth on the spline caused it to foul on the case when upshifting. Nothing a little heat and pressure couldn't solve. Then in her first experience on a motorcycle yesterday my wife froze up and ended up bouncing off a stump. No damage at all to her, but the brake pedal ended up bent 90 degrees. Back to the vice, torch, and hammer...
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #33
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 531
Fixing one of these up for my roomate. Valves make a pretty loud racket, valve lash is said to be .05mm for intake and exhaust according to the label on the frame. When is that measured? TDC? How do I find TDC?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #34
FuriousGeorge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Sorry, didn't get to this earlier. Super simple to check. Just pull the cover on the left side to get to the bolt to crank the engine over. Should just be three phillips screws holding it on. Just two 10mm bolts holding the valve cover on. Crank it counter-clockwise (22mm nut if I remember correctly) until the timing mark aligns with the mark on the case. Mine is an 81 and only had a single mark. If yours is an 80 there may be another mark for settings the timing for the points. I can check the manual when I get home.

At this point wiggle all 4 rocker arms and see which cylinder has both of them a little loose. Check the clearance on that cylinder and then crank it over 360 degrees and check the other cylinder. .05mm intake and exhaust is what the manual said when I checked too.
FuriousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #35
VTSteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
My very first bike was a 78 CM185, when i was about 14 years old. I was walking home from school one day, and it was in someone's driveway, with a piece of plywood leaned up against it. Spraypainted on the plywood in big red letters was "TAKE ME!" I knocked on the door to see if they had the keys, but nobody was home.

I pushed the bike about 5 blocks to a friends house, and knocked on the door to show him my new toy. He was very impressed of course, and we took about 5 minutes to pop the ignition lock off, and another 15 or so get her started. As soon as she fired up, my buddy's dad came out of the house to see what all the noise was. He made me promise that I wouldn't try riding the thing out of his driveway, for fear that I would kill myself on it (I had never ridden a motorcycle before). I promised I would "push" the bike the 5 miles or so back to my house through the suburbs.

Of course, as soon as I got out of his sight, I took a running start, popped the clutch, and rode it the 5 miles through the suburbs back to my house.

When I got home, my Dad dug his old helmet out of the attic for me. He hadn't ridden in about 20 years at the time. He took a look at the bike I had found, and asked me if I had noticed if anything was missing on it. I replied, "yeah, I don't have the keys, I hotwired it". He was referring to the fact that it had no exhaust! I was wondering why the thing sounded so mean... It didn't even have headers on it, just 3 inch blue flames belching out of the heads!!

I rode that bike for pretty much the entire summer that way. I got my first traffic ticket(s) on it one day. No license, no inspection, no registration, no insurance, and 45 in a 30.... My parents were not too happy about that one, but the judge let me off with a $50 fine when he found out I was only 14.

Then one day we had a nasty thunderstorm, and a very large oak tree in my yard got struck by lightning, It split the trunk right down the middle, and the tree fell directly on top of my bike. Flattened it like a pancake....

It didn't really matter, the bug had already bitten me. It was a few years before I could afford to buy another bike, an 82 CB650 that I still own to this day.
VTSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #36
Petrolburner
Noise Maker

Oddometer: 531
That's awesome! Not even headers on it lol!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #37
jcmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Hey guys, sorry for bumping an old thread but theres already a bunch of good info.

anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has advice as far as how to slow down the throttle transition from on/off or off/on. I'm not sure if its just a characteristic of the single carb or what, but with my gfs 81, it seems a bit tricky to make the transition smooth, especially with her being a new rider.

any advice?
jcmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #38
scooterspirit
rolling nutball

Oddometer: 665
You have to use the clutch a lot at walking speed in first. Tell her to work the friction zone.

Anticipate, with your body, before you speed up or slow down.
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:49 PM   #39
jcmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

its not so much just starting out from first, its the transition from rolling on/off the throttle.

if measuring percentages, it seems like it goes from 0% (closed) to 10% instead of progressively going 1%,2%,3%... etc

if that makes any sense

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the fuel injection on my vfr
Old 09-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #40
scooterspirit
rolling nutball

Oddometer: 665
yeah fuel injection sucks, never any problems.

If we had a picture of your girl on the bike, then we could tell you how to fix it. Whatever you do, post a picture! hehehe

Sounds like the dreaded dead spot just off idle, you need professional help. But what those bikes really need is a fuel filter, just one grain of sand can play havoc with the carb. GL
scooterspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #41
jcmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

professional help?? HAH! I got a screwdriver and a hammer. doesnt get much more professional than that!

Maybe I'll dink around with the needle height and whatnot... For what its worth, I'm fairly convinced its a carb setup problem, as opposed to a "clean the carb" problem since it does start and run great aside from this throttle annoyance
Old 09-28-2011, 05:15 AM   #42
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmcc View Post
professional help?? HAH! I got a screwdriver and a hammer. doesnt get much more professional than that!

Maybe I'll dink around with the needle height and whatnot... For what its worth, I'm fairly convinced its a carb setup problem, as opposed to a "clean the carb" problem since it does start and run great aside from this throttle annoyance
Any chance that you have too much slack in the throttle cable? Might make the response seem funny and unpredictable...
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:14 AM   #43
jcmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

well i went through the carb and it did help the problem a little but I think I'm just going to have to deal with it its all good

also, I need some kick stand advice. Mine leans over a good 35-40 degrees and I can hear the sucker creaking as it settles.

I saw a few OEM ones on ebay, but I think replacing a 30 year old kickstand with another 30 year old kickstand may be wasting my time. A new one from BikeBandit is over $70

Is there a way to modify/repair the stock one, or can someone recommend an aftermarket one?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #44
LashLarue
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Another 30 yo stand

I had a parts bike and pulled the stand from it. The first one was almost letting the bike tip over. Never did figure out why, just switched it out.

About the low speed problems, it is usually a plugged idle jet. They are tiny. Do the fuel filter and either clean the jet or get a new one. My guess is the main is coming on when it jumps. Very easy to fix, pop off the float bowl, use grease on the gasket to hold it in place when you reassemble.
LashLarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #45
51D7H3K1D
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Bars

Are the high bars on this bike comfortable? they seem way high. Im not sure how it would look with low bars though... hmmmm,