User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
motor275 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Aeroflow

I just received my Aeroflow X-Tall for my R1150GS. Everything is great except I am looking thru it instead of over it. I want to cut about 2-3' off the top. Whats the best way to cut a shield like this ?
motor275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #2
VonHelm
soggy doggy

Oddometer: 3,957
This is how I've done it in the past:

Mask off area to be cut, about 4" wide, with a couple of layers of blue painter's masking tape.

I bag the remaining portion of the screen with a plastic bag, to prevent marring and scratches while handling. Also makes final cleanup easier. Plactic trash bag works just fine.

Make a template out of posterboard for the cut. This allows me to draw, smooth, and refine the shape of the cut. If it is a straight cut, you can just use a flexable metal ruler.

Mark cut line on the masking tape with fine tip "Sharpie" marker. Try to get it as smooth as you can.

I use a variable speed saber saw with with a fine blade.

Tip: Cover the "shoe" of the sabre saw with a layer of duct tape. This provides a thin layer of padding, and helps prevent the shoe from marring the plastic.

I have a cheap old padded bar stool that I use to support the screen while I make the cut.

I cut just to the outside of the line, about a 1/16" of an inch from the line.

Take your time. Make relief cuts as required. Go slow. Don't force it and crack the plastic.

Once the cut is complete, I use a orbital sander to remove the ragged edge right down to the cut line.

Remove the masking tape.

Now the labor intensive part starts: Carefull block sanding with progressively finer wet & dry sanding paper to radius the edge of the cut.

I start with 120 grit, followed by 220, 320, 400, and 600 grits.

I finish my edges with with a process I learned 30 years ago in a plastics fabrication shop that I used to work at. We formed and molded acrylic sheet.

We called it "fire polishing" the edge. This is a rather tricky process that should be practiced on scrap before doing on your expensive, new screen.

It involves passing a flame (I've done it with a small, handheld butane torch) over the polished edge. If the edge has been sanded really, REALLY smooth, it will turn crystal clear.
The tricky part is, if you overheat the plastic, it will blister edge.
VonHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
pdoege
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
I'd be tempted to trade it out with someone with a tall or medium. An ad in the the parts section would do the trick.

Peter
pdoege is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
DRGNHTR
Dragonhunter

Oddometer: 445
Mark it then take it to TAP Plastics (in California) and have them do the cutting. They have the tools and the experience. I presume there is an equivilant type outfit in your area.
DRGNHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:41 AM   #5
wayde1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoege
I'd be tempted to trade it out with someone with a tall or medium. An ad in the the parts section would do the trick.

Peter
I'll trade a new short one for the tall one.
wayde1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,318
Don't trade it out.....they are a piece of cake to cut, especially the Aeroflow's...nice soft plastic. If you have access to a band saw, it's really a breeze. The above instructions are right on. To get a template, hold a piece of cardboard or craft paper to the top of the original wind screen...trace it, then cut along the tracing. Overlay that on the blue masking tape, putting the top of the screen at the high point of where you want the new height to be. Tape it in place and then trace it onto the blue masking tape...this is your cut line. You might find that you will need to modify the cut going to the sides of the screen, depending on how much you are taking off...I just took 4" off the top of mine ( yea,I'm a short shit ). You dont need a fine tooth blade on this stuff either. Keep the blue tape on thru the sanding process so you don't accidentally scratch the screen. And this stuff sands like butter. If you ( or a friend ) have a band saw, this is no more than an hour job. Here eare pics of the one I just did 2 weeks ago

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE

Gezerbike screwed with this post 04-12-2008 at 07:40 PM
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
Random
Quiet Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,634
If you just received it (from Aeroflow?) why don't you contact them about an exchange for a shorter screen? Shortening the screen you have will change the shape and airflow off the screen such that it may not offer the same weather and wind protection Aeroflow's are know for.
Random is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random
If you just received it (from Aeroflow?) why don't you contact them about an exchange for a shorter screen? Shortening the screen you have will change the shape and airflow off the screen such that it may not offer the same weather and wind protection Aeroflow's are know for.
I kind of thought that too, but if you look at a few, the common denominator is the botton of the screen, where the four plastic bolts are. The demension between them and the 2 holes for the upright supports is the constant...those can't change. It's just the amount of screen above those two bolts. After cutting it down, I still have the same shape to the screen, not just as high. I did change the shape a bit on the sides, not cutting them down as much, which seemed to deflect some wind off my shoulders. But I agree, if it's new and they will exchange it, by all means do it.

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #9
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike
I kind of thought that too, but if you look at a few, the common denominator is the botton of the screen, where the four plastic bolts are. The demension between them and the 2 holes for the upright supports is the constant...those can't change. It's just the amount of screen above those two bolts. After cutting it down, I still have the same shape to the screen, not just as high. I did change the shape a bit on the sides, not cutting them down as much, which seemed to deflect some wind off my shoulders. But I agree, if it's new and they will exchange it, by all means do it.
Take Random's advice.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote