ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
Ricrellim OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I'm new and.... Broke down in steamboat springs

Hello everyone, I have an 89 R100RT (it is now naked due to my neighbor backing over it with a Cadillac) and I have only had the bike for about 3 months. I had it serviced and checked out by Mikes motorcycles in Boulder before I set out on this trip.

Saturday morning we rode from Boulder to Steamboat and the bike ran really awesome all day. When we left steamboat this morning it was raining pretty hard. We were heading toward Craig on 40 (in front of M@M auto and the shooting range) and on the first part of the climb the bike died hard like it ran out of gas.

I had fuel and the bike would turn over but would not start. This awesome French Canadian on a K1200 stopped to help me and we verified that I was no longer getting spark from either plug. He is thinking that it is my grey ignition coil giving me the problem. One of the plugs was barely connected to the ignition coil when we inspected it (was loose and we tried to spread the metal parts on the cable).

A nice couple helped me trailer it to their barn and I have a friend taking me back to boulder tomorrow. I need to buy parts and return next weekend to repair and ride it back. Taking a kitchen ink approach what should I replace?

Super nice fellow BMW rider Dude suggested that I talk to John with EMI (I just upgraded to the enduralast 2 system and they were awesome) and to post my issue to you folks.

I am sitting at a hotel bar drinking my woes away:) I know this is a crappy introduction but, hello.
Ricrellim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,860
Highly suspicious of the coil. Had a riding buddy with the exact same symptoms and he had a crack in his coil. We dried it out, filled the crack with black RTV, and he has been riding it that way for two years.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #3
whiskeyandbikes
Misplaced

Oddometer: 213
dry the bike completly. look for bad wiring.
wd40 is for getting water off electric parts you probably dont need to trailer back to boulder. I would try to stay in steamboat and fix it.
Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM   #4
Ricrellim OP
n00b

Cool, I will go back to the barn it's stored in with WD-40 in hand this morning.
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM   #5
TaterHarry
Redneck Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,349
One more vote for a cracked coil, it's a classic symptom for an airhead to die in the rain. The cracks can be imperceptible, like a faint pencil line. Once it's dried it will probably fire right up.

When you get home search the web for a Bosch "blue coil" upgrade.
TaterHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM   #6
Ricrellim OP
n00b

I am home safe and sound. After drying out overnight the bike fired right up and ran great all the way home. Since my itenerary was altered I came back through Rock Mountain National Park. It was awesome and we saw a big ass moose running full speed through the valley as the sun was going down.

We'll now its time to upgrade the ignition.
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM   #7
mcmarcia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
?Halls sensor, rings a bell??

I had a couple of airheads, they do not like heavy rain being sprayed onto the ignition parts by the front wheel. Coil, halls sensor can drown. Glad you got home. Try some upgraded parts, but do some airhead research on line to find the best permanent fix, you are not the first w this problem.
Old Today, 07:47 AM   #8
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,099
Welcome to the Asylum and congrats on your first "adventure"

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:25 AM   #9
b0rderman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Well, that was a lot simpler than the last Craig breakdown. Glad you were able to ride out.
b0rderman is offline   Reply With Quote