User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
BeachBusker OP
R.I.P. George

Oddometer: 639
Baja Ride on the Tropic of Cancer

People come to Cabo Pulmo for all kinds of reasons. Cabo Pulmo has five restaraunts, three dive shops and 111 residents if you count the dogs, cats and horses. This trip originated from one of these local residents: 'Nemo'. Now Nemo is 25ish with latin complexion, a winning smile, a cute wife, two kids and access to substances which some Gringos like to enjoy.

In February, Cabo Pulmo hosted a 100 person wedding party complete with a first class catering of the reception by a prestigous service based in Cabo San Lucas (big bucks event). These guests were here for six days and scheduled wedding events and dinners with all of the local establishments. Most were young married couples enjoying the tropical climate and trying to drink the town dry... ...ha, ha we were ready and they consumed an average of 300 Margaritas per day. Out of this party there were two unattached sisters of the groom from Martha's Vinyard; Linda & Lucy.

Now Linda & Lucy got a lot loosey after three Margaritas and Nemo and three other town locals swooped in like buzzards after road-kill. Well, they hooked up with Nemo and one other for the weekend. The sad/funny part was Nemo's wife came looking for him. Somehow it is acceptable behavior for males to stray in our little community.

Now Nemo would come in every morining for his dos Modelos before he took the panga boat out for scuba, snorkling or whale watching. Business was good for him with the wedding party in town and he showed me his new bicycle that someone graciously left him. We got to be good acquaintances and when I asked about trails to Mira Flores he mentioned that I could make it by going up the wash a mile south of Alvinos Restaraunt in Los Frailes.

When I get to the Y five miles up, go left because the right goes to one of the local ranches. I asked about other turns and he said just stay left and I will be fine. The Naranja road to Todo Santos is half way between Santa Anita and Mira Flores and that is good all the way to Highway 19, heck, 'someone made it by car!' so, I shouldn't have a problem.

So here was the plan, 9ish departure to Mira Flores for gas & soda. Find the Naranja Trail to the coast and head to Todo Santos for gas. Then, south on Highway 19 to find that Music & Mango Margarita Restaraunt 5-7 miles and eat. Return the same way and be back in Cabo Pulmo before dark.

Equipment check:
Bike.....Fine.
Gas......Full (100 mile range).
GPS......Naa.
Map......Naa.
Tools....Naa.
Water....Well, OK (I learned my lesson here).
Camera...New HP, (my Sony grew legs somewhere between San Ignacio & Corona).

So off I go at 9:30 and pass the turnoff which was 1km past Alvino's. Hmm, 1km-1mi, whats the difference, Mira Flores is only about 50 miles away. I turn around and head up the wash which kept getting deeper & deeper in sand. But Nemo said someone made it in his car and I was following 4 wheel tracks. Five miles later I hit terra firma and find the Y:

You can see how well the trail is marked Another 10 miles and I start riding the ridgeline:

Here's another:

20 miles in and I come to a T! Which way, left or right? I can see Mira Flores down below in the distance and there is a trail along the left side of the canyon. Remember Nemo, he said to stay left, so left it is. I haven't seen anyone on the trail all morning but 10 miles to the left brings me to some ranch construction so I continue on.

Somehow I passed that trail down the canyon and ended up in Palo Escopeda. How far did Nemo get on this road? I end up coming into San Jose Del Cabo at Catarina Beach (dry aroyo):

I emerge at the Mitsubishi Dealer on Highway 1. About 10 miles north of Santa Anita I turn left on a paved access. A mile in ends at the new prison under construction. Back to Highway 1 and north another couple miles to the Los Naranjos cutoff:

The road leads to a small valley where I stop to see if one of the locals needed help. He was replacing the U joint on the side of the road and we chatted a bit.

Out of the valley and I get my first view of the Pacific:

Old 03-14-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
BeachBusker OP
R.I.P. George

Art & Beer

The road went from bad to deep ruts as I descended to the lowlands where it leveled out to pretty good for Baja standards. It exited to Highway 19 at a ranchito entrance and a mile north was my restaraunt. A quick trip for gas and this is the view from the north:

The owner was expressing a little Latin humor when he designed his estate, 'Art & Beer':

The servers were relatively new recruits from the mainland and the service was excellent:

Shark Boobies & Mermaid Tail:

These ladies from New York just had to get their picture taken:

An interesting perk from Art & Beer is the FREE Pacifico for the Road when you pay 'La Cuenta'. Back up the trail for a smoke break at a roadside monument:

Old 03-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
BeachBusker OP
R.I.P. George

Crossroads Country Club

Its Saturday, it's getting late, and it is open-mike night at the Crossroads Country Club in Vinorama. I decide to check out the talent as Bonny Raite's brother is supposed to play guitar tonight:

I played here last Saturday and Vinorama's celebrity resident Jesse Ventura was in the audience. But tonight Bonny's brother is a no show due to family involvement in a vehicle accident, hope it wasn't serious:

And this was Ricky with his famous originals "Drinkin' and a Drivin'" and "My Wife Left Me":

And a solo night ride 20 miles up the East Cape road with the 8" HID leading the way at midnight.

Just another day in Baja.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
Teeds
Don Quixote

Oddometer: 1,569
Great stuff!!
we are NOT human beings having a spiritual experience, rather we ARE spiritual BEINGS having a human experience - johnjen
Teeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #5
BeachBusker OP
R.I.P. George

Addendum

Here's a map of the area courtesy of gaspipe & BigDog:

Looks like I went thru Las Vinoramas instead of La Calabaza. Oh well, next month
Old 03-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Awesome stuff, BB!

You must have just missed Gaspipe and crew. How'd the HID treat you at night? How was the install?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:23 PM   #7
BeachBusker OP
R.I.P. George

Disclaimer, The Names Were Changed to Protect the Guilty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Awesome stuff, BB!

You must have just missed Gaspipe and crew. How'd the HID treat you at night? How was the install?
Yea, they were 50 meters away from me. Unfortunately, Nancy's is tucked behind the Caballero where they stopped.

George Erl from Uptite Racing sold me Chads 2006 Baja Pre-Runner. I heard they had their Class 20 rig disappear in Ensenada last week (155x DNF). So he might be a little difficult for a while.

This was his design as it doesn't match anything available from Baja Designs or the other guys. Pisses off cars on the highway though and George says to put your left hand over the lenz when passing cars

I'm still trying to overcome deathgrip
Old 03-15-2007, 06:47 AM   #8
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,733
Husqvarna's

Looks plain enough to me !!

Husqvarna's are taking over Baja
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote